This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!) | Page 73 | The Popjustice Forum

This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by P'NutButter, Mar 4, 2019.

?

Favourite Kate Bush album?

1. The Kick Inside

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  2. Lionheart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Never For Ever

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. The Dreaming

22 vote(s)
    21.0%
  5. Hounds Of Love

57 vote(s)
    54.3%
  6. The Sensual World

8 vote(s)
    7.6%
  7. The Red Shoes

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  8. Aerial

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  9. Director's Cut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 50 Words For Snow

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
    P'NutButter, Cutlery and djmakemewet like this.
  2. Alas, we never got to experience Hotel Mario. We did have Zelda: Wand of Gamelon though!

OspreyQueen likes this.
  3. I didn't have the time to comment on the last 15 reveals, so will catch up now. This is part one:

'The Dreaming':
    I also gave this a 10 and agree with the above.
    That's a valid criticism, but I guess back then it was rare that a Western pop artist tackled this subject at all. There's a paragraph in Daphne Carr's excellent review/essay on The Dreaming for Pitchfork about cultural appropriation in 'The Dreaming'.
    Then there’s “The Dreaming,” a parable of a real, historical, and contemporary group of Aboriginal people as timeless, noble savages in a tragically ruined Eden that lectures the center of empire about their (our) political and environmental violence. Bush narrates in a grotesquely exaggerated Australian accent over a thicket of exotic animal sounds, both holdovers from music hall and vaudeville’s racist “ethnic humor” tradition, a kind of distancing that suggests that settler Australians are somehow less civilized and thus more responsible for their white supremacist beliefs than the Empire that shipped them there in the first place. In telling this story in this way—without accurate depictions of people, and without credit, understanding, monetary remuneration, proper cultural context, or employment of indigenous musicians—she unfairly extracts cultural (and economic) value from Aboriginal suffering just as the characters in the song mine their land. As a rich text to meditate on colonial, racial, and sexual violence, it is actually quite useful—but not in the way Bush intended.
    If she had at least used an Aboriginal didgeridoo player, we also wouldn't have to think of Rolf Harris everytime we play the song.

'The Red Shoes':
    After 'Night Of The Swallow' and 'Jig Of Life', this is her third original song incorporating Irish folk. It's also very much a 'The Big Sky' type of song re-imagined as an Irish jig and as such works better than the more lacklustre and conventional 'The Big Sky' rehash that is 'Love And Anger'. Being my joint favourite from the album, it got a 9 from me (it is a bit repetitive and sort of peters out at the end).

'A Coral Room':
    I can understand where you come from with this. It's really structured more like a piece of classical music than a pop song, but this meandering and lack of focus actually suits the atmosphere of dealing with loss and grief. So I have to agree with the following comments and also gave it a 10:
    'Pull Out The Pin':
    Another great song from The Dreaming gone too soon. My favourite bit is the way she screams "I love life!" I'm not too keen on the instrumental ending, though, so I had to deduct one point.

4. Oop, never mind. I'm good again.

5. Experiment XL (Overperformed By About 40 Places Mix)

Trouble in Paradise likes this.
  6. [​IMG]

Gutted to see my 11 – the gorgeous, life-affirming 'Sunset' – leave. Pop music does not get any better than this, the pinnacle of Kate's discography. I cried when I saw it performed live. Fellow Sunset stans @Aester and @nametag, I salute you.

7. Again, two big ones leave today!

8. You want my guess?

What was the question?

lob0to likes this.
  9. I almost don't want to post this next one, but oh well...

@confess85 - 10 Beautiful song that reminds me of magical summer nights.
    @sfmartin - 10 So incredibly atmospheric. This song is more than just music its a sonic experience. The listener is taken on a mystical journey but rather than the sea being depicted as cold and harsh its warm, soothing and adventurous. A standout on an already magical album. I love how it picks up the pace and begins to tie all the loose threads together. It segues perfectly into the final song. 9 minutes melt away in a heartbeat.
    @OspreyQueen - 10 A masterpiece, that’s the only word for it. The way it conveys such beautiful imagery through nothing but music and lyrics is…supernatural. It’s the perfect song about escapism, and now I actually have access to the individual song I feel I’ll be playing it every time I feel dissatisfied with my life.
    @The Hot Rock - 10 The best Aerial track and probably the best since Hounds of Love overall.
    @djmakemewet - 10 I love the groove on this song. The constant rhythm of the bass and drums add a real sexiness that matches the lyrics. Kate's more patient approach to composition really allows the song to build throughout its runtime. All eight and a half minutes feel essential. And it's all capped off with the explosive chorus in the final minute as the sun begins to rise – the transition into the next song is spectacular.
    @DominoDancing - 8.5 Goes off a bit towards the end, but did this really have to be more than eight minutes long? It's a nice groove, but seriously...
    @abael - 7 Good easy listening, if a bit too lengthy.
    @Jóga - 6 I don’t like the vocals and I think this is where the production sounds the most dated in the whole album and then it’s too long.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 5 An improvement on most of Aerial, but still not brilliant. Too long.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  10. Shame to see Nocturn go, but seeing those 18 10s warmed my heart a bit!

11. Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  12. aux

aux

13. Expected. I think in general Aerial was done very dirty going into the top 50, because the title track, Nocturn, Sunset, King of the Mountain all feel like essential Kate to me and I'd place them in my personal top 20. The fact near half of the voters gave Nocturn a perfect score, however, warms my heart!

P'NutButter, Aester, sfmartin and 2 others like this.
  14. Yay!

The second image, presumably with the position for each track, is not displaying for me.

15. Now that your single purpose in participating in this rate is gone, which other rates do you reckon you are gonna hunt ?

aux likes this.
  16. It's probably been said before but thank you @P'NutButter for these gorgeous album summary graphics and your dedication to them in general

17. Gutted to see Nocturn go out. If I could have had two 11’s then this would be one of them.

P'NutButter and sfmartin like this.
  18. Aerial was quite hard to get through for me.

19. I can't....

At least I was the highest scorer.

With regards Nocturn, how can you not fail to be so full of life at the ending?

Look at the light!
    And all the time it's a-changing
    Look at the light! Climbing up the aerial
    Bright, white, coming alive, jumping off of the aerial
    All the time it's a-changing! Like now!
    Like then again! All the time it's a-changing
    And all the dreamers are waking!

Perfection in song form.

20. Just updated the link.

Awww, so nice of you.

Next one will be out in an hour... a single.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.