This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!) | Page 74 | The Popjustice Forum

This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by P'NutButter, Mar 4, 2019.

?

Favourite Kate Bush album?

1. The Kick Inside

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  2. Lionheart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Never For Ever

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. The Dreaming

22 vote(s)
    21.0%
  5. Hounds Of Love

57 vote(s)
    54.3%
  6. The Sensual World

8 vote(s)
    7.6%
  7. The Red Shoes

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  8. Aerial

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  9. Director's Cut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 50 Words For Snow

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. The second of today's two is another big deal, in that it's a single but also because it has been mentioned a couple of times already...

[​IMG]

Wow 8.68

Highest Score: 10 x 10 @WhatKindOfKylie?, @Music Is Life, @1991, @Jam, @sfmartin, @Ed72, @31entrance, @AGiantSheep, @Karvel, @Remorque
    Lowest Score: 4 x 1 @abael

@Remorque - 10 Oh wow... Kate still throwing truth bombs almost thirty years after the song's initial release. I love how wonderfully theatrical she sounds singing about showbiz. And to think she was only a year into her career... There's an underlying menacing quality to the production that never fails to give me the feels too.
    @Music Is Life - 10 Love this. That chorus is everything but the verses are great too. Love the production as usual. Actually the verses might be better than the chorus.
    @31entrance - 10 Literally one of my fave songs by Kate, also I still don’t know who Emily is??
    @sfmartin - 10 Truly magical, one of my absolute favourites in her collection. Its miraculous how she creates the perfect feeling of awe with the instrumentation and those towering vocals.
    @DominoDancing - 9.5 Amazingly atmospheric, and very powerful chorus. A highlight on this album.

@djmakemewet - 9 I really love how much Kate explores using her voice on this song – I think it takes real skill to take a two word chorus and inject it with as much meaning as she does here. Of course, this made her a target for parody but who cares? I also love the second prechorus, particularly “we'd give you a part, my love/but you'd have to play the fool”.
    @Seventeen Days - 9 That intro with the synth riff, yas. Also, the lyrics about the egotistical actor are brilliant.
    @Jóga - 9 Iconic. The lyrics are just fantastic, and the way her voice soars and goes down in the chorus is magical. One of the album’s saving graces.
    @OspreyQueen - 8.5 The chorus is…kind of the weak link for me. The rest of the song is delicate, suspenseful and wonderful, but the chorus just sounds…kind of flat. I know exactly when to expect it so its impact is almost completely gone.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 7.5 Catchy, but a little pedestrian.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  2. * I meant "lead single from Lionheart" in that it was the track to push the album. I am aware 'Hammer Horror' came first.

Just saying.

3. Is that in the cover image? I can't see it (I couldn't see the one for Nocturn either).

4. This is what happens when I use Imgur instead of the usual host. I'll change them.

ohnoitisnathan and djmakemewet like this.
  5. You just need to cancel the s from https I think

6. I've just done this, let me know if you all can see it. If not I'll change the images tomorrow.

7. Yeah now it's visible.

P'NutButter likes this.
  8. Finally. Hammer Horror can follow suit

9. Hammer Horror deserves to outlast everything on The Dreaming. I'll concede Suspended In Gaffa.

sfmartin likes this.
  10. [​IMG]

11. okay but Wow is in my personal Kate top 20, what a song! the vaseline line remains a moment, I also love Hammer Horror and I hope it sneaks into the top 10

12. I didn't expect Army Dreamers to last this long/be this loved. I still find it quite irritating.

Sally_Harper and aux like this.
  13. Part two of my catching up with the last reveals:

'The Morning Fog':
    Amen to all of the above. For me this only really works as the conclusion to The Ninth Wave, but as such it deserves a 10.

'Mother Stands For Comfort':
    Wise words. It's sad but predictable that this is the track from side A of Hounds Of Love to leave first. I love the bass and how comforting Kate sounds in the chorus. It really is the only non-overplayed song on there and its weirdness would fit The Dreaming. Another 10.

Speaking of weirdness, (unfortunately) it's time for 'Leave It Open':
    Great comments on a great song. This belongs to my top 5 from The Dreaming (all 10s). Although it should have reached this rate's top 20, I'm surprised it fared so well since it is the most experimental track on the album.

'Rubberband Girl':
    It is a good pop song and has its place, but not in the top 40 of this rate. It's surprising that it outlasted the superior 'The Red Shoes', 'Lily' and 'Top Of The City'. It really goes on too long (there's only so many times that you can have another 'The Big Sky' type extended outro before it becomes stale). I was also surprised about the straightforward production, especially the drums sounded dated even back when it was released. 7 points.

'Love And Anger':
    Well observed. I do love 'The Big Sky', but musically this really is an inferior version of it. However, it's still a very good song. It just doesn't sound as magical as the song preceding and following it. 8 points.

'Deeper Understanding':
    The most remarkable thing about this song, as reflected above, is indeed her prescient take on computer addiction, which has become even more relevant since the internet and smartphones came along. However, the Trio Bulgarka contributions grate on me at the end, which could have been a bit shorter anyway. 8 points.

'All The Love':
    I also found this the hardest song to get into at the time, maybe because it sounds so conventional (for Kate's standards) among the other songs on the album. But I've grown to appreciate it, especially the choir boy's vocals, which make this song a precursor to 'Snowflake'. 9 points.

14. Three videos for 'Wow'? What's the third? I'm familiar with the one made at the time, and the version using live footage cobbled together for the The Whole Story VHS.

15. How did 'Hammer Horror' flop so badly for her, so soon, in the UK, when it seems to be well-liked here?

16. Houdini, Jig of Life, There Goes A Tenner, Suspended in Gaffa and Under The Ivy all out before the top 20 please, we should have a 5+ Top 20 at the very least. Happily Surprised to have five eights, a nine and one of the two tens I gave still in this. It could have gone worse, but clearly could still end badly.

17. I like it, but I am surprised that 'There Goes a Tenner' has lasted this long.

18. Wow really is well just Wow.

P'NutButter likes this.
  19. The third is the last video I posted on the countdown, it was used for promo in Europe or something?

Two tracks leaving today have done bloody well to make it this far.

əʊæ and 31entrance like this.
  20. So the first for today has been mentioned a few times over the last week or so, so may not shock...

@ohnoitisnathan - 10 One of the strangest choices for a single ever, but oddly charming, even with its non-chorus chorus.
    @Seventeen Days - 10 This has always been one of my favorite tracks on this album. I love how the jaunty piano paints this rather comical picture of a bank robbery gone awry, then she throws those super moody synths in to give an edge of darkness to it. Iconic!
    @OspreyQueen - 10 I love this one a lot despite (or maybe even because of) the fact that it’s perplexed me for years. I still don’t know exactly what to make of the lyrics, particularly the last few verses, but my current interpretation is that the botched bank robbery represents the idolisation of money and the way people will willingly fuck their entire lives up in the hopes of becoming richer.
    @Jóga - 10 Fascinating.
    @31entrance - 10 love how she sings it in a cockney accent.
    @DominoDancing - 9.5 Fantastic storytelling.
    @djmakemewet - 8 I love the contrast in moods in this song, from the excitement of trying to pull off their most ambitious job ever, to the building sense of dread to the moments of sheer boredom in the choruses. The line “a star in Strangeways” is fucking brilliant too.
    @sfmartin - 8 Took me a while to come round to this. Not the biggest fan of her cockney accent. I love the dreamy "we're waiting" parts.
    @lob0to - 7 Huge mistake as a single I'm afraid. 'Suspended In Gaffa' would have been a far better choice for the UK market.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.