This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!) | Page 75 | The Popjustice Forum

This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by P'NutButter, Mar 4, 2019.

?

Favourite Kate Bush album?

1. The Kick Inside

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  2. Lionheart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Never For Ever

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. The Dreaming

22 vote(s)
    21.0%
  5. Hounds Of Love

57 vote(s)
    54.3%
  6. The Sensual World

8 vote(s)
    7.6%
  7. The Red Shoes

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  8. Aerial

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  9. Director's Cut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 50 Words For Snow

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. One of the reasons I adore Kate so much is when she writes/sings a song, she portrays a character and immerses herself into them, like There Goes a Tenner here, where she portrays a gang leader(?) from London with the cockney accent and all. truly shows her dedication to her craft and art.

2. One down, four to go.

3. The second for today is another one that has done insanely better than I ever thought it would...

@nametag - 10 The first time I heard Kate Bush’s name was when I was playing Tori Amos at the age of around 14 and my dad said she sounded like her. Not long after that, I remember seeing the video for Wuthering Heights on one of the music video channels and I was… not impressed. It sounded like a joke-song to me, I hadn’t heard anything like that before, that VOICE. In the following year or two her name kept coming up so I downloaded a few songs, including Wuthering Heights. After a few listens, I grew to love it after all. The power of that melody is really something. I got into her starting with Hounds of Love and gradually bought the rest of her albums - but it wasn’t until I got Kick Inside, quite a long time later, that I realised the WH I’d downloaded was the New Vocal version, as opposed to the original that I’d seen in the music video previously. This is a very long winded way of saying that this song was instrumental to me getting into Kate but it was unwittingly the New Vocal one that got me there. But even so, I just think the 86 version has so much more texture and power compared to the original - her mid 80’s voice is more appealing to my ears, and the slightly rockier production coupled with the extra wailing at the end - it might be my favourite vocal performance she’s ever done.

@DominoDancing - 10 Just as brilliant as the original version, I can listen to them pretty interchangeably.
    @Jam - 10 - basically as good as the original, arguably I'm more used to the original as when I was first discovering Kate I was watching music videos of youtube.
    @Untitled - 10 The vocals make such a difference!
    @sfmartin - 10 Just as good if not better than the original. Perhaps less shrill and more drama in the vocal. This was the version I grew up with since it was on The Whole Story. The adlibs at the end are certainly better.
    @31entrance - 9 honestly prefer the 1978 version but this is also nice, has an 80s power ballad feel to it.
    @abael - 8 The restraint of this new version I find an improvement.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 8 It seems quite impotent compared to the original, but there's still a decent song beneath. I guess this was the warning that the Director's Cut would some day happen.
    @djmakemewet - 7.5 I'm actually a fan of the new vocals on this but I'd prefer that it didn't have the over the top 80s drums. I do like the repetition of the chorus on the outro, but this isn't quite up there with the original.
    @OspreyQueen - 7 It’s an acceptable version, but it doesn’t have the mystical charm of the original.

4. That also means all the "extras" have left the rate...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  5. The (New Vocals) are much better than the original but I guess purists are purists.

6. The added reverb on everything is almost a bit much (and this carries on into The Sensual World) but I think I prefer it. The deflated vocals and the extra adlibs add a lot to the song where she previously just disappeared for the last minute and a half. I feel the original sounds drier in comparison, though it's easily still a 10.

7. aux

aux

No

8. Part three of my catching up with the last reveals:

'Moving':
    I love the whale song, too. As for Kate's vocals, I really love the "you give me life" part, but the "lalalalala lily" bit is too sickly sweet for my liking. 8 points.

'King Of The Mountain':
    I was also disappointed. For a comeback single it's underwhelming. My main problem with it is that it sounds too MOR compared to pre-The Red Shoes Kate, probably because everything is very restrained. I don't care much for Elvis either, so the lyrics leave me cold, too. 7 points.
    Yes.
    No.

'Sunset':
    I'm very surprised about all the love this gets here, especially the flamenco part, which doesn't sound energetic and life affirming to me at all, but rather lacklustre and plodding. It's a shame because the first part of the song is excellent. Without Kate's melismatic singing of the lines "In a sea of honey/A sky of honey" it would even get a 10 from me. Because of the second half, I'm afraid I can only give it a 6.

'Experiment IV':
    This deserved a higher placing. It is one of her very best singles and her best video together with the one for 'Cloudbusting'. A masterpiece that should have made the top 20 or at least #23 as in the UK chart.

'Nocturn':
    I'm afraid I also cannot share the enthusiasm of so many other voters here. This is your favourite track from Aerial? The groove is indeed nice and the verses are very good, but the track's supposed climax feels very anticlimactic to me. I'm sorry, @Wild Man., but it's the vocal performance of the lyrics you quoted (not the lyrics themselves) that really grates on me. It lacks the sophistication of the rest of the suite and would be better placed in a rock musical. This track making it so far ruins the top 30 for me as it was my only 6 left.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  9. Another three 11's leave today and a single!

10. Isn't 'Warm and Soothing' a B-side?

Oh, B-Side of an 'extra', I suppose.

P'NutButter likes this.
  11. This first one out is apt for today seeing as it was blistering hot a couple of days ago, yet today it's pissing it down...

@ohnoitisnathan - 10. As much as I like this, it goes on for too long at the end, Peter Gabriel syndrome again.
    @Jóga - 10 It’s just pure fun.
    @sfmartin - 10 What a joyous song, so many gorgeous layers that just build and builds. I will always remember hearing this for the first time and jumping out of my seat at each sudden addition to the instrumentation. Its an exhilarating experience. I imagine only Kate can pull off a shiny silver jumpsuit but the video made me want to try when I was growing up.
    @31entrance - 9 One of her more cheerful tunes (the score is for the special single mix btw.)
    @DominoDancing - 8 Very exuberant and optimistic. Hounds of Love has a couple of very heavy songs, but Kate balanced them out perfectly.

@Seventeen Days - 7.5 I like the fun pace of this track, and I love the way it kind of builds up to this crazy collage of sounds at the end, each one competing with the other for sonic space. Shame that she had to neuter the original version on the subsequent remasters.
    @OspreyQueen - 7 It’s a sweet song, but not a memorable one.
    @djmakemewet - 6 This is the one song from Hounds of Love that I've never been massively keen on. There's a very effective build up to the song's outro and the line “You never understood me/You never really tried” is another of those very direct lines like Suspended in Gaffa has.

12. Another robbery!

13. Oh I'm actually fine with this because the other HOL tracks left are all 10/10 to me sans maybe Cloudbusting

14. I love both of these, so am very gutted! The New Vocal of Wuthering Heights, just has a bit more depth to it and her more mature vocal, makes it feel a bit more eery too. As for The Big Sky, total bop and just a joyous listen even if the ending DOES go on for an age!

slurmjunkie and P'NutButter like this.
  15. An early boot this evening and I'm sorry to those losing 11's...

@CasuallyCrazed - 11 One of the ultimate odes to unrequited love. I feel like it's somewhat of an overlooked classic within Kate's lexicon, but that chorus does things to me no other song can do. The lyrics and vocal delivery are gut-wrenching.

@31entrance - 10 This is sooooo good! truly gives me the feels.
    @nametag - 10 Glorious. That second verse. Every bit the song This Woman’s Work is and probably one of my most listened to Kate tracks.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 9 Quite nice.
    @sfmartin - 9 A really lovely ballad. Powerful melody. Heart wrenching lyrics and superb delivery.
    @djmakemewet - 9 I can't be the only melodramatic person that's held this one close at times. The second verse in particular is an absolute killer for me and once again the Trio Bulgarka make a beautiful contribution to the song. The blending of folk elements with contemporary production seems to be something that gets overlooked in a lot of reviews and commentary on this album, but I think these touches really help lift it above many other 80s pop albums.
    @DominoDancing - 8.5 Such a beautiful chorus. I will never understand why she murdered this on Director's Cut.
    @OspreyQueen - 8 I adore the Eastern sound of this one. The lyrics aren’t particularly challenging, but I quite like that they provide a little break from Kate’s usual brainteasing.
    @Seventeen Days - 7.5 I like the shakuhachi sample thrown in there (guess Kate took a note from working with Peter Gabriel). it gives this a bit of a “eastern” kind of feel. The theme of knowing you’ll never have something that you truly want is pretty universally relatable, I think.
    @Jóga - 6 I’ve never quite got this song. I like the last minute the most.

16. [​IMG]
    farewell Never Be Mine, you did well but it could’ve been better tbh

17. Every time I open this thread and see that my 11 lives another day, I breathe a sigh of relief.

'There Goes a Tenner' deserved better, though.

18. The final part of my catching up with the last reveals:

'Wow':
    I agree with these comments. Actually, as iconic as the chorus is, I think I might also prefer the atmospheric verses. I gave it a 9 (I'm not too keen on the cheesy synthesizer fanfare midway through the chorus).

'There Goes A Tenner':
    This is utterly brilliant. At first, you're likely to accuse the song of being too simple given its oompah beginning, but then so many surprising layers are added. It's almost like an audio drama. One of my favourites from The Dreaming. 10 points.
    Yes, for a single this is even a stranger choice than 'The Dreaming', and 'Suspended In Gaffa' might have been more successful because it has a proper chorus. I love them both, though.

'Wuthering Heigths (New Vocal)'
    I have to agree with those preferring the new vocal version for all the reasons stated above. However, the drums do sound dated compared to the original version. I thought both versions would end up in the top 5, so I'm pleasantly surprised that the same song won't appear twice in the top 20 even though I would have liked the original to leave first. 10 points.

'The Big Sky':
    I love the childlike wonder Kate oozes during the verses (especially the "But quick 'cause it's changing in the big sky" line). Also, this has such a good groove going with the "Rolling over like a great big cloud" hook during the extended outro. I'm not sure which version is better. The single remix has a clearer sound, which emphasises all the different parts (especially the crunchier bass and the more forceful guitars). However, in contrast to the album version, this also means that it sticks out from the production on Hounds Of Love, thereby somewhat losing the feel of instruments competing with each other for sonic space @Seventeen Days described above. 10 points.

'Never Be Mine':
    Finally, this is a choice for an 11 I can totally get behind. It is a masterpiece. All the heartfelt vocal parts combined with the brilliant music create a unique and bittersweet atmosphere. I'm glad this song fared pretty well in the rate, but it should have reached the top 20 at least. 10 points.
    I felt the same way about the new version initially, but it has grown on me a lot as an alternate take. The original is still superior, though.

19. I honestly can't believe my 11 is still here and has made it this far.

P'NutButter and AGiantSheep like this.
  20. But how long???

Today's two are both quite dark, but one is more scary and the other beautiful.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.