This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!) | Page 76 | The Popjustice Forum

This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by P'NutButter, Mar 4, 2019.

?

Favourite Kate Bush album?

1. The Kick Inside

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  2. Lionheart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Never For Ever

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. The Dreaming

22 vote(s)
    21.0%
  5. Hounds Of Love

57 vote(s)
    54.3%
  6. The Sensual World

8 vote(s)
    7.6%
  7. The Red Shoes

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  8. Aerial

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  9. Director's Cut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 50 Words For Snow

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. 'Waking the Witch' and 'Houdini'?

2. Houdini + Suspended in Gaffa please.

3. The first out is a genuinely scary and intense song, but it's genius...

@ohnoitisnathan - 10 Chilling!
    @Seventeen Days - 10 I absolutely love the way that Kate paints a picture with those icy synth strings on this, illustrating the woman drifting in the cold icy water, just begging to be rescued. When she makes that desperate cry of “IT”S ME!”, you can feel the emotional urgency in her voice.
    @DominoDancing - 10 Sounds so tense and threatening. The way Kate moves between different moods and emotions on the Ninth Wave is amazing.
    @Untitled - 10 Whew, the sheer dread! There might've as well been alien creatures coming for her from under the ice. Carpenter's body must be quaking!
    @djmakemewet - 9 Here's where things start taking a turn for the darker. Those wonderful low harmonies, the synth strings cutting all the way through the song, the more ghostly voice of the underwater Kate – very spooky stuff. It's funny how Hounds of Love is equally as dark as The Dreaming and yet doesn't seem to be regarded as such – I liken the reception to the two as if Hounds of Love is a stately, gothic horror film while The Dreaming is a snarling, in-your-face video nasty. They both have moments that terrify, but the presentation leaves some people much more receptive to one than the other.
    @Jóga - 10 Nothing makes me feel more uneasy than this song. It’s a fantastic spooky tune. The final scream is the cherry on top.
    @sfmartin - 9 Gothic excellence. Haunting and delightfully creepy. "Moooooooving" always gets me.
    @abael - 9 The earliest 9 of her discography, and definitely worth it. Production is great, Kate is great, and the build up into Waking The Witch is to die for.
    @Music Is Life - 9 Love the violins on this, and her vocals. The whole song makes me feel uneasy, in a good way. The ending, whew. Where's my wig?
    @OspreyQueen - 6 It’s an intriguing little piece, but it’s too short and samey for me to care about it much. And the strange intonation just annoys me.

4. Under Ice, is very creepy I think!

5. This second track to leave today was closer to the top 10 for a couple of weeks early on in the voting, sadly it fell a little bit as the weeks went on...

@Seventeen Days - 10 This track was my 11 RIGHT until the last second, and easily remains my second all-time favorite Kate Bush track. The imagery of the album cover being based on this track (one of my favorite Kate images of all time) gives me much joy. Plus, the way Kate’s voice goes so swiftly from a sweet lilting vocal to an emotionally-wrought scream… wig last seen over Mars.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 10 I love how deranged Kate sounds in those pre (instrumental) chorus lines.
    @Music Is Life - 10 This is really creepy and amazing, and gorgeous and awesome and I love this, her vocals the production everything. It's amazing.
    @Untitled - 10 This contains my single favourite bit of any Kate Bush song ever. I'd call it the pre-chorus if it had an actual chorus. Oh, you know, that twinkly bit before she goes all death croaky (that bit is my second favourite.)
    @djmakemewet - 10 Kate once again shreds her vocal chords to exquisite effect here, but those mournful strings are truly the stars of the show, particularly as they provide one of the few quiet, contemplative moments on the album. The build up in the chorus, punctuated by those almost Asian-influenced beats really add to the mounting dread as Houdini's stunt goes horribly wrong.
    @OspreyQueen - 9 Another example of some astounding world-building from this album. Many people consider mediumship to be wonderful, and just as many consider it to be horrific. And this song doesn’t hold back on playing with that juxtaposition, most notably through Kate’s vocals switching from soft and airy to strained and guttural so suddenly that it sometimes even makes me jump.
    @Jóga - 9 Beautiful then creepy then beautiful.
    @sfmartin - 7 It's just a little too inaccessible for me. The different parts are all too disparate.
    @DominoDancing - 7 Great performance, okay-ish song.

6. Fucking Hell that's a banger. Just realized, I need to get that Remastered I box set.

P'NutButter likes this.
  7. Yes to all of the above. What hasn't been mentioned yet are all the great sound effects lower in the mix as if they also were under ice (such as the call at 0:48, the splitting ice at 1:13, the sonar sounds starting at 1:24, and the spoken word bit at 1:31), making this and The Ninth Wave as a whole a great record to listen to on headphones. 10 points.

'Houdini' is an excellent track (9 points), and the album cover is one of my favourite images of her as well.
    I'm not that keen on the strings part, maybe because its calm orderliness feels so uncharacteristic in the context of the album. Then again, it could indeed illustrate the mourning of Houdini's death.

P'NutButter and DominoDancing like this.
  8. An 11, a lost hit and another rundown today!

9. I'm sorry, @P'NutButter, but I hope 'Under The Ivy' leaves before we reach the top 20. It's a good song, but I think it's her most overrated B-side. Maybe the fact that you revealed your scores in advance and everyone read about your dedication to your 11 has subconsciously swayed others to give it such a high placing in this rate.

10. Of Course, any victory comes a defeat, finally Houdini is out, but it was able to just nick the spot of the masterful Under Ice. It's just blow for blow at this point. PLEASE let Jig of Life be next somehow, it is totally undeserving of a top 20 spot.

11. Rosabael, believe.

12. PLEASE let taste overcome you.

13. Anything hurts at this point lbr

14. My only regret in the rate was giving Waking The Witch an eight rather than my eleven, as it's grown on me to the point of becoming my favourite. Jig of life though was a three then, is a three now, and I'll be happy to be the one to tank it.

15. You had me in the first half not gonna lie

16. Respectively I have to disagree, whenever a list of Kate's most loved works gets published 'Under The Ivy' is always listed and quoted as one of her "hidden gems".

Anyway, back to business and The Dreaming again takes a hit...

@ohnoitisnathan - 10 As poppy and accessible as anything on The Dreaming could be. Why it was not the 'lead' single (ignoring 'Sat In Your Lap''s earlier release) from The Dreaming is beyond me.
    @Jóga - 10 Fucking fantastic, really. She does more in this with her voice than in the two first albums...
    @OspreyQueen - 9.5 Kate’s songs are usually fairly easy to “keep up with”, but this one breaks tradition by quick firing its baffling lyrics at you faster than you can process them. But it actually works so well and surprisingly forms a coherent and brilliant song.
    @djmakemewet - 10 Another song that matches a lighter instrumental with some heavy lyrics, this has become a recent fave even though it was one I was familiar with very early on. Given how much of Kate's lyrics are tied up in imagery and how much she draws on literary and filmic inspirations, she really has a knack for adding in lines that really cut to the crux of the matter. Every time I listen to this song, I'm drawn to the line “I don't know why I'm crying” - it's so effective as an anchor to the whole song right in the middle of its chorus.

@sfmartin - 9 A lot of fun and a really catchy chorus. Suspended in bop.
    @Seventeen Days - 7 Although this song still finds Kate experimenting with sound textures and structures, it actually feels slightly out of place to me. It almost smacks of “the record label made me include this so they'd get one hit single”. It’s still an enjoyable peppy song though.
    @DominoDancing - 5.5 Great title for a song, but the music itself does not do much for me. I find some of Kate's high vocals kinda annoying on this.
    @Untitled - 5 I wouldn't have listened to it of my own accord, but I gotta admit that it has some plinky-plonky twee charm about it.

17. Those low scores you're handing out like candy for The Dreaming, @abael ... we've gotta talk.

7 of the 10 songs on the album are now gone... while most of the generic 80s drum machine Hounds of Love tracks - even though I scored them highly - remain.

I weep.

18. edit - already posted above.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.