This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!) | Page 77 | The Popjustice Forum

This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by P'NutButter, Mar 4, 2019.

?

Favourite Kate Bush album?

1. The Kick Inside

3 vote(s)
    2.8%
  2. Lionheart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Never For Ever

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  4. The Dreaming

22 vote(s)
    20.8%
  5. Hounds Of Love

57 vote(s)
    53.8%
  6. The Sensual World

8 vote(s)
    7.5%
  7. The Red Shoes

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  8. Aerial

5 vote(s)
    4.7%
  9. Director's Cut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 50 Words For Snow

3 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. I think @P'NutButter must have posted the top 20 contenders as you were writing this, but you're missing Jig of Life.

ohnoitisnathan likes this.
  2. Says the obsessed Aerial hater!
    Agreed though

abael, Aester, lob0to and 5 others like this.
  3. Army Dreamers and Get Out Of My House are a bitsy out of place in this top20 but overall it's pretty solid.

Itty Bitty Piggy and P'NutButter like this.
  4. I thought the same

ohnoitisnathan likes this.
  5. It's not Jig of Life, but it's as good as a replacement can be. Eleven people gave that 10? I'm definitely behind enemy lines, but my scores will see taste beat that garbage indie album back from the top. If I can send the whole thing packing before The Red Shoes, all the better.

P'NutButter likes this.
  6. Fair enough. I did say I think it's her most overrated B-side. After all, there's even a biography named after it. Oh well, just my luck that my most played The Dreaming song leaves instead:
    Thanks for these heartwarming assessments. This is indeed very experimental in terms of alternating between different vocal styles including those lovely spoken lines. At the same time, it's the catchiest song on the album.

As regards the remaining top 20, my preferred ranking would be:

1. And Dream Of Sheep
    1. Waking The Witch
    1. Jig Of Life
    1. Hello Earth
    5. Cloudbusting
    6. The Man With The Child In His Eyes
    7. The Sensual World
    8. Hounds Of Love
    9. Babooshka
    10. Sat In Your Lap
    11. Wuthering Heights
    12. Hammer Horror
    13. This Woman's Work
    14. Moments Of Pleasure
    15. Breathing
    16. Army Dreamers
    17. Night Of The Swallow
    18. Get Out Of My House
    19. Running Up That Hill
    20. Under The Ivy

But it'll probably end up the other way round.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    P'NutButter likes this.
  7. I love how Hammer Horror has made it to the top 20! So bonkers, but so much fun too.

Verandi, Jam, P'NutButter and 2 others like this.
  8. Running Up That Hill (A Deal With God)
    Babooshka
    Wuthering Heights
    The Sensual World
    Moments Of Pleasure
    This Woman's Work
    Cloudbusting
    Hounds Of Love
    Under The Ivy
    Hello Earth

My top 10

P'NutButter and Phonetics Boy like this.
  9. I'm not sure I could create a Top 10, or even rank the remaining songs but on the whole I am pretty happy about that top 20.

10. Oh god, ready to crash into this top 20 with an 11?...

[​IMG]

Waking The Witch 8.77

Highest Score: 11 x 1 @Seventeen Days
    10 x 12 @djmakemewet, @Scoundrel_Days, @sfmartin, @slurmjunkie, @Jam, @confess85, @Wild Man., @ohnoitisnathan, @Karvel, @lob0to, @JonBcn, @Itty Bitty Piggy
    Lowest Score: 2 x 1 @Aester

@Seventeen Days - 11 It took me a long while to decide what Kate song was going to get top billing from me. And quite frankly, I couldn’t think of a better song to give it to than this one. The way this starts out so soft and hazy, with the different people from the woman’s life coming to greet her as she floats in the water, then BOOM - that shift into the crazy chopped up vocal, and we’re off. That demonic voice when it snarls “confess to me, girl” gives me chills Every. Single. Time. This is art rock reaching new heights.

@sfmartin - 10 Legitimately terrifying. She. Did. That. And by that I mean haunt my nightmares for ever more. Can you even describe it? Just genius. Part of me thinks this should win the whole thing.
    @confess85 - 10 Terrifying song.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 10 This usually gives me chills... of fright, especially the "I am responsible for your actions" line. But it's good.
    @djmakemewet - 10 I love the way that Kate's chopped up vocal not only adds to the terror of the song, but mimics her screaming out for help as her head bobs above and below the surface of the water and the analogy of witch duckings to drowning is genius. The way the choir of friendly voices gives way to something much more sinister is very effective. I love the extended guitar outro in the Before the Dawn version.
    @Untitled - 9.5 Back when exorcism horror movies weren't so played out people must have been shitting themselves!
    @Jóga - 9 Chaos. And scary as fuck. The first time I heard it I was in the dark and it was traumatic.
    @DominoDancing - 9 More a collage than a proper song, but I really love the madness.
    @Music Is Life - 9 Love the violins on this, and her vocals. The whole song makes me feel uneasy, in a good way. The ending, whew. Where's my wig?
    @OspreyQueen - 8 My introduction to Kate’s discography beyond the singles - I first listened to it at like 2am on a desktop computer…which was a bad decision. It’s a masterfully crafted nightmare that doesn’t hold back on trying to scare you out of your goddamn skin. And some bonus commentary from my boyfriend: “It sounds like they took a lucid dreaming meditation track and they're trying to get you to become conscious in the dream but they're trying too hard.”
    @abael - 8 A damn journey... amazing. Dream of Sheep-Waking The Witch run is 10, but in isolation none of them achieve it.
    @31entrance - 7 This is low-key giving unnecessary anxiety.

11. I think this will be very close to the actual top 10 in this rate.

My personal top 10 would consist of The Ninth Wave as a whole, followed by 'The Fog', 'Cloudbusting' and either 'Never Be Mine' or 'Experiment IV'. Ranking the remaining songs here wasn't easy, though, and #6 to 11 as well as #12 to 18 are pretty interchangeable. Overall, I'm relatively happy with the top 20, too. After all, it still includes eleven of my 10s and seven of my 9s.

P'NutButter, lob0to and djmakemewet like this.
  12. 'Army Dreamers' has certainly overperformed.

CasuallyCrazed and Verandi like this.
  13. Get Out of My House needs to practice what it preaches right now.

Verandi likes this.
  14. @every person who scored 'Waking the Witch' less than a 10

[​IMG]

Music Is Life, Jóga, Cutlery and 5 others like this.
  15. Two songs with a stylistic connection leave today.

16. I'm sorry... if I felt then what I feel now it would have been my 11.

Seventeen Days likes this.
  17. 10. Wuthering Heights
    9. Hammer Horror
    8. Babooshka
    7. Breathing
    6. Cloudbursting
    5. The Sensual World
    4. Army Dreamers
    3. And Dream of Sheep
    2. This Womans' Work
    1. Moments of Pleasure

I'm glad I waited until this elimination, or I would of posted my #1 just before seeing it get the boot.

P'NutButter likes this.
  18. Kate Bush's vocals on alot of these Ninth Wave songs, is testament alone to her musical genius.

19. 'This Woman's Work' and 'Moments of Pleasure'?

Just kidding!

djmakemewet likes this.
  20. Top 10 from what is left:

And Dream of Sheep
    The Sensual World
    Wuthering Heights
    Hounds of Love
    Breathing
    Jig of Life
    Hello Earth
    Cloudbusting
    Running Up that Hill
    Night of the Swallow

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.