This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!) | Page 78 | The Popjustice Forum

This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by P'NutButter, Mar 4, 2019.

?

Favourite Kate Bush album?

1. The Kick Inside

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  2. Lionheart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Never For Ever

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. The Dreaming

22 vote(s)
    21.0%
  5. Hounds Of Love

57 vote(s)
    54.3%
  6. The Sensual World

8 vote(s)
    7.6%
  7. The Red Shoes

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  8. Aerial

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  9. Director's Cut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 50 Words For Snow

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. My 10 picks here would be

Hounds of Love
    Moments of Pleasure

Hammer Horror
    Jig of Life
    Cloudbusting

The Man With The Child In His Eyes

Running Up that Hill
    The Sensual World
    This Womans' Work
    Sat In Your Lap

Which I'm sure won't be the real top10 but eh.

2. I think every elimination will hurt from here on out, Kate's catalog is almost untouchable in terms of quality but here we go...

@ohnoitisnathan - 10 The runner-up for my 11, narrowly beaten. I'm a sucker for the traditional Irish music elements.
    @31entrance - 10 Maybe possibly one of my favorite Kate songs of all time, the juxtaposition of traditional Irish instruments with 80s production is everything, and the way it just all explodes in the chorus just...gets me like no other.
    @OspreyQueen - 10 I have to confess I’ve never given this one a whole lot of attention because it comes straight after one of my all time favourite Kate songs. But now I’m listening to it properly for this rate, and I feel like a prize idiot because it’s incredible.
    @djmakemewet - 10 only Kate would go from Australia to Ireland within the space of an interlude. Her vocals are incredible on the verses and I love how she represents both of the song's characters. Other fantastic touches include the vocals that mimic swallows and the stuttering drums in the bridge that sound like old style propellers starting up. The way the chorus flows straight into the third verse and then back to the chorus is another highlight. Also scores marks for the “pigs can fly” line.
    @Seventeen Days - 9 Why does Kate love to do that strained vocal thing so much? I don’t know, but something about it just gets me every time.
    @sfmartin - 8 Quite a ride, From this point on she always has a song on the album with Celtic vibes, with the fiddle. This is like the Jig of Life younger less confident sibling.
    @Jóga - 8 The only song that I don’t love desperately. It’s a bit overlong for me.
    @DominoDancing - 7.5 Really like the fiddles on this.

3. My top 10:
    Running Up That Hill
    Wuthering Heights
    Sat In Your Lap
    Moments Of Pleasure
    This Woman's Work
    The Sensual World
    The Man With The Child In His Eyes
    Cloudbusting
    Hounds Of Love
    And Dream of Sheep

Get Out of My House is literally the worst Dreaming track, I can't believe its somehow still here.

I just realize I really overscored Hammer Horror & Army Dreamers, they don't belong in the top 20 either.

4. Sad to see Night of the Swallow go, it could've easily been my 11. And I know I kind of mentioned it above, but the second chorus into the middle eight into the chorus into an instrumental into a double chorus?

Whew, wig flew to Malta.

P'NutButter and ohnoitisnathan like this.
  5. I'll attempt a top 9, cause that's what stands out to me from the remainers:

1. Running...
    2. This Woman's Work
    3. Get Out Of My House
    4. Moments of Pleasure
    5. Babooshka
    6. Hello Earth
    7. Under The Ivy
    8. Sat In Your Lap
    9. Wuthering Heights

6. Night of the Botched Rate, more like it.

7. Hounds of Bloomin' Love. That album, good as it is, is seriously overrated. It has become this thing we're supposed to think is the best thing she ever did... because Q, NME, Rolling Stone or whichever 'respectable publication' declared it to be a classic, and it made their uber-important top 100 albums of all-time list; one of only 3 solo female vocal albums to do so (with the other two being Aretha and Joni, or someone equally credible - though all appear within the lower half of the top 100, of course). Even Johnny Rotten said he liked it. It's almost like groupthink.

New to Kate? Oh, you've got to listen to Hounds of Love... because it's the best thing she ever done, and her most accessible work. Q said so!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    Future Lover likes this.
  8. aux

aux

The album is praised a lot, but I feel like every bit of praise it gets is justified. The album is perfect, but then again so is most of Kate’s discography.

9. Stans of The Dreaming who also like to hate Hounds Of Love always bring the kiis ah_suffer.gif

Music Is Life, djmakemewet and aux like this.
  10. whynotboth.gif

slurmjunkie, Music Is Life and Jóga like this.
  11. Houdini is absolutely stunning and the best song on The Dreaming.

12. Wow catching up on this rate was a journey. So many cuts that felt like deep losses. "Moving" was the runner up to my 11 and probably my emotional 11. I thought "Suspended in Gaffa" was a lock for at least Top 20 and that "Houdini" would easily make Top 20. Overall, The Dreaming definitely suffered a latent culling. However, there's not a lot I would argue with in the Top 20.

djmakemewet and P'NutButter like this.
  13. I don't think it's a big spoiler to guess "Running Up That Hill" is winning this bih. But I hope "The Sensual World" is Top 3.

Ray, lob0to and sfmartin like this.
  14. Like I mentioned the two tracks leaving today were connected stylistically, in fact I notice in the commentary some mentioned this next track...

oh and it's also Davina McCall's favourite Kate Bush song...

@ohnoitisnathan - 10 I love the build-up during the instrumental parts.
    @confess85 - 10 Love the concept of future Kate telling young Kate to hold on while being stranded at sea.
    @Music Is Life - 10 I absolutely love her voice on this, and the entire Irish jig of it all, being a percentage of Irish myself. But seriously, I fucking love her voice on this, but that production is amazing as well. I know I just basically repeated myself but I don't care. The man that comes in elevates this even more, holy shit.
    @Jóga - 10 It’s probably one of my favourite tracks on the album. I don’t know why, it just gives me the chills.
    @sfmartin - 10 She just won't let me live gurl. The folk dancing segment is revitalising and replenishing. Is that Tim Curry speaking towards the end? Its probably not but it does sound like him.
    @OspreyQueen - 10 The idea of a person’s future self coming back to practically demand their past self doesn’t die is pure genius. Also it’s a huge bop.
    @Seventeen Days - 9.5 Kate brings some of her Irish heritage into the picture, as the woman continues to hallucinate. This time, she sees her future self urging her to stay awake and avoid certain death. I love how the urgent energy of the jig is almost akin to an alarm clock, working with the hallucination to keep the woman awake.
    @DominoDancing - 9 Musically a bit simple, but the energy is great and I always love the moment when the music breaks down for the "I put this moment...here" part.
    @djmakemewet - 8.5 I love the idea of Kate's future self coming back to implore the younger one to pull through the night and the jig in the middle of the song offers a brief moment of respite in the story as the tension disappears within the mounting drums of the breakdown. At least, that is, until the music cuts out and Kate says “I put this moment... here” and we're thrust back into the story.
    @31entrance - 8.5 Great, now I’ve got an urge to do an Irish jig dance
    @abael - 3 A pretty barren song.

15. A stunning song and an 11/10 to these ears, but it makes sense for it to leave at this point

P'NutButter, Verandi and lob0to like this.
  16. Jig Of Life is the song that made me start to listen to her catalogue. A moment. This fag loves Irish music oh yes he does.

17. I'm not hating on Hounds of Love. I just don't think it's indesputibly the. best. thing. ever., like everyone else seems to.

18. Sorry I'm late, the weather is too good to miss right now but the first to go today is another 11 and it's a big one...

@lob0to - 10 Weirdly, this was the single that started to make me re-evaluate my opinion of her.
    @Seventeen Days - 10 Boy, when Kate brings the theatrics to a track, she commits. The way she sings “HAMMMER HORROOOR” is just dripping with camp, and I absolutely love it. Also, the gong at the end putting a nice finishing touch.
    @Jam - 10 My ‘almost 11’
    @Remorque - 10 This one' has the same theme as Wuthering Heights, but whereas that one was inspired by a book, this one's inspired by a movie. And although I fucking love it, I kinda get why it didn't resonate with the general public, as they hadn't really seen and heard how wonderfully weird Kate could be.
    @Music Is Life - 10 I love that she's using her lower voice on this, and apparently she'll do that more often with later albums so now I'm excited. The song itself is great too, what a way to end the album.
    @31entrance - 10 christina_aguilera_maybe_it_was_ahead_of_it’s_time.gif

@Jóga - 10 The best song in the album. The drama is amped to the max and does Kate know how to do drama...
    @sfmartin - 10 Closing the album with a bang. With such tragic and macabre subject matter it feels wrong to bop as much as I do.
    @The Hot Rock - 10 My favorite track on Lionheart. Wish the rest of the album slayed me as much as this one and Symphony In Blue did.
    @djmakemewet - 10 I love the drama in this song, right from those opening string tremoloes and the melodramatic piano line to the gong that closes the entire album. I think the backing vocals on this one really add to the choruses too. I've always found the drums to be oddly muted though.
    @OspreyQueen - 9 The way this song constantly lilts between serene and tense with no warning, I love it.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 8.5. Another interesting theme for a song, buried in 70s mediocre rock production... but one of the better tracks on Lionheart.
    @DominoDancing - 6.5 Goes way too camp for me on the chorus. Perhaps my least favourite Kate single.

19. Army Dreamers really needs to fuck off now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.