This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!) | Page 79 | The Popjustice Forum

This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by P'NutButter, Mar 4, 2019.

?

Favourite Kate Bush album?

1. The Kick Inside

3 vote(s)
    2.8%
  2. Lionheart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Never For Ever

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  4. The Dreaming

22 vote(s)
    20.8%
  5. Hounds Of Love

57 vote(s)
    53.8%
  6. The Sensual World

8 vote(s)
    7.5%
  7. The Red Shoes

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  8. Aerial

5 vote(s)
    4.7%
  9. Director's Cut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 50 Words For Snow

3 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. The title made me think Moments of Pleasure exited, glad I was wrong!

ohnoitisnathan and abael like this.
  2. Well, I didn't expect it would last this long so I'm glad.

3. Well done Hammer Horror, it is the highlight of Lionheart and I'm glad it did so well. Surely Army Dreamers will be next for the chop???

Verandi likes this.
  4. aux

aux

We can hope. Miss thing is holding on to dear life.

ohnoitisnathan and Verandi like this.
  5. Army Dreamers is a great song

6. aux

aux

It is, but not Top 10 material.

7. Well done to Hammer Horror! Love how it managed to get this far. Bonkers, scary and genius all rolled into one! Yet more Kate Bush magic.

Trouble in Paradise likes this.
  8. Good that Jigs finally out, no more threes left now. I think the weakest tracks left are from that era, so it would be nice to see Hounds of Love, Hello Earth and especially Under The Ivy taken out soon.

9. Most definitely not.

10. There's no way in hell Hounds of Love's title track isn't top 5

11. I had no idea Hammer Horror was so loved.

Also, @P'NutButter - which song has had the most 10s and 11s so far?

lob0to likes this.
  12. So I think @slurmjunkie will be happy with this next one, I'm just okay about it...

@P'NutButter - 11 You know all my reasons. But it's my favourite song of all time by anybody and the opening/closing line is tattooed on me.

@JonBcn - 10 Best b-side of all time? Mmm, yes.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 10 A fan fave, and fittingly so.
    @DominoDancing - 10 What a discovery! So simple and yet so touching! I NEED this to be available on Spotify!
    @Jam - 10 Always pulls at the heartstrings.
    @31entrance - 10 Her best ballad by a mile.
    @sfmartin - 10 One of her finest ballads without a doubt. Heartbreaking and expertly crafted. Her voice is full of such emotion. This stands among her best work. It should have been a single. Imagine if it had replaced Mother Stands For Comfort, side A truly would have been flaw free.
    @The Hot Rock - 10 Worth noting/commentating that this is my highest rated b-side. Absolutely wonderful.

@djmakemewet - 10 For somebody who does piano/vocal songs so well, Kate really outdid herself with this one. A short, yet fully formed and truly gorgeous piece that forces you to stop what you're doing and just listen – it's that arresting. I love how the song's status as a B-side mimics the sense of Kate hiding herself away and retreating in the song (that's probably reading way too much into things, but I don't care. This was another serious contender for my top score.)
    @Seventeen Days - 9 I discovered this after buying the remaster of Hounds of Love back in 2004, but didn’t know it was just a b-side until I really started to get into her. Another beautiful track with fantastic vocals, could have easily fit in with the vibe of the rest of the album.
    @Music Is Life - 9 This was gorgeous and sad. Love the piano, her voice is beautiful on this song, and this deserved more than just being a b-side. I love this.
    @OspreyQueen - 7.5 It’s beautiful, but it ends far too quickly. Short songs can have their merits of course, but I feel like there’s so much untapped potential here and it hurts.

13. 'Sunset' and 'Never Be Mine' both had three 11's each, 'Nocturn' and now 'Under The Ivy' both left with eighteen 10's.

14. I've never taken part in a rate before - is there an overall album ranking too? And is it based on averages or order of exit? Because we get quite different rankings for what's left so far between the two methods.

15. Such a beautiful, beautiful song. I'd not seen the video of her performing it before and that little smile she gives at the end is wonderful!

P'NutButter and djmakemewet like this.
  16. I disagree. To me the way it's merely two minutes long is part of what makes it impactful, like there's a bigger punch packed into every single line, word and lyric. Happy seeing Ivy get so much love!

17. Okay, finally caught up in this rate, and that was quite a ride! @P'NutButter your pace has blown me away, you're such a great host! I hope my 11 makes top 10.

18. Catching up with the latest reveals:

'Waking The Witch':
    It took some time to get my head around the chopped up vocal. Once it clicked, I was in awe. Also, I'm glad you're not only focusing on the horror aspect. While the witch trial part is indeed terrifying, my favourite part actually are the friendly voices trying to wake her up (and the more forceful ones, too). 10 points.
    That's why the songs that make up The Ninth Wave shouldn't really be listened to in isolation and can hardly be rated in isolation. I had to give 10 to every part of this conceptual piece, but then again I have no problem with 'Jig Of Life'.

'Night Of The Swallow':
    That chorus is really something, so energetic and a great build-up with the fiddles. I also love the way she sings "There's no risk". I just noticed that the 'Let me, let me go' part in the middle eight is very Fleetwood Mac. 9 points. I would have given it 10, but I'm not keen on the way she's straining her voice at the beginning of each verse.

'Jig Of Life':
    Yes, that part, which leads into the brilliant spoken word contribution from John Carder Bush, is my favourite. But it wouldn't have the same effect without being preceded by the repetition of the hypnotic fiddle riff putting you in a trance. 10 points.

I think the album deserves all the praise it gets. After all, it has The Ninth Wave on it. And the first half is almost flawless, too. Almost, because I think 'Running Up That Hill' isn't up there with the rest. I'm not hating on 'Running Up That Hill'. I just don't think it's indisputably the best thing ever like everyone else seems to.

'Hammer Horror':
    I love the lower voice in the chorus, too. Certainly one of the highlights from Lionheart, which I didn't expect to do so well here since it flopped in the UK charts. I gave it a 9. It would have got a 10 without the schmaltzy middle eight at 3:36.

'Under The Ivy':
    Yes, I am. But reaching #16 for a B-side with an average of 9, your 11 did quite well. I do like it, but I can't give it more than 7 points because of the lines she sings at 0:59 and 1:44. To me these basically amount to tuneless wailing, which is a shame as I really love the rest. It's fitting, though, that the most overrated B-side belongs to the most overrated A-side.

Not to mention 'Jig Of Life', the only one of them I'd find worthy of so many 10s.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    Music Is Life, P'NutButter and lob0to like this.
  19. 'Army Dreamers' still being in this... what a waste.

20. Two tracks leaving today are kinda complete opposites, and from different albums. Oh, and one is an 11.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.