This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!) | Page 82 | The Popjustice Forum

This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by P'NutButter, Mar 4, 2019.

?

Favourite Kate Bush album?

1. The Kick Inside

3 vote(s)
    2.8%
  2. Lionheart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Never For Ever

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  4. The Dreaming

22 vote(s)
    20.8%
  5. Hounds Of Love

57 vote(s)
    53.8%
  6. The Sensual World

8 vote(s)
    7.5%
  7. The Red Shoes

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  8. Aerial

5 vote(s)
    4.7%
  9. Director's Cut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 50 Words For Snow

3 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. My top 5 - in no particular order

Running Up That Hill (A Deal With God)
    Babooshka
    Wuthering Heights
    The Sensual World
    This Woman's Work

Ray, Phonetics Boy and The Hot Rock like this.
  2. I'm stanning Hello Earth still being around. Not only because I love it, but because it's repping for the album tracks on its own at this point.

3. I wanted to write Breathing in its place but then decided to avoid a quotation in this dancerie.

4. Like I mentioned earlier, this next to leave has the most 11's thus far, ready?...

@confess85 - 11 Beautiful song. My favourite Kate track and I will never forget the feeling of witnessing it live at Before The Dawn.

@DominoDancing - 11 A masterpiece. The majestic verses, the solemn choirs, the eerie German spoken words at the end. Hearing this for the first time turned me into the massive Kate fan I am today.

@ohnoitisnathan - 10 A contender for my 11. My favourite song on Hounds of Love.
    @Jóga - 10 One of her most beautiful songs. The melodies are fantastic throughout the song AND the drama when the drums start...Genius.
    @sfmartin - 10 Absolutely sublime. Completely captivating from the opening line. One of her finest ballads. Should be comfortably in the top 10. The choir in the background is just mesmerising.
    @djmakemewet - 10 This is sublime. It probably bears more hallmarks of 80s production than anything else on The Ninth Wave with its gated drums at the ends of the verses. The sense of dread is real as she sings “All you sailors/all lifesavers/all you cruisers...” and the long stretches of male vocals give me chills. Whenever I listen to this song, all I can picture is the lifeless body in the cold, dark water during this moment and it almost becomes unbearable. It reminds me of a clip I saw from a black and white movie (that I don't know the name of) that included a shot of a car underwater with its passengers still inside, lifeless and silent. Hello Earth gives me that exact same vibe.
    @Untitled - 9.5 I'd once made a version without the chants and it still works for me. Sacrilege, I know! I'd never get rid of the German bit, though. She knew exactly what she was doing here!
    @Seventeen Days - 9 The choral music in this one gives me the freaking creeps, but otherwise this is a gorgeous track. The clip of the astronauts in the beginning is a fantastic way to segue to the woman hallucinating, imagining herself floating in space and looking down on the rest of the world.
    @OspreyQueen - 8 There is an incredible 11/10 song in here, but those abrupt Gregorian chants spoil it so much. It genuinely hurts to give this just an 8 because the actual “song” parts are devastatingly beautiful.
    @abael - 5 It may have more of a message than Jig Of Life, but it's 2 minutes longer and just as barren.

5. I should feel shocked I'm not the lowest scorer. I guess I'm still too numb from Moments of Pleasure. Missed the best ending, now I'm hoping for This Womans Work or TMWACIHE to come through to try and end on a good note at least. Also, I didn't tank anything. My ratings for The Dreaming spanned from 2-7 and 2-8 for 50WFS. I wasn't trying to upset the order of things, I just think both albums are pretty garbage. Also, if we somehow get out Hounds of Love at 11, I'll have a 6+ top 10, which is as good as I could have hoped for.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  7. (well I guess that's what I get for giving Moments of Pleasure a 5.5)

I love Hello Earth. I love crap disaster movies. I like to think the song is being sung from the perspective of a bunch of different natural disasters wiping out the earth. First an asteroid ("Hello, Earth!") and then a poor tsunami who's having "Murderer!" yelled at it. The choral sections are the money shots, the collision and the giant tidal wave. It's all so big and terrifying that the song pauses to watch them happen. In the end all that's left are the deep ocean creatures.

(then The Morning Fog blasts out a few seconds too soon, like being woken up in the middle of a dream)

P'NutButter, Phonetics Boy and lob0to like this.
  8. @djmakemewet Yes, what I wrote was out of spite rather than me wanting to see some preconceived plan come together. I voted weeks ago, and am not as invested in the artist or the rate to try and change how well a song does by going against my own opinion and ruining the point of this whole exercise. If I wanted to exert more control over the outcome than any one voter, why not just make a list of the songs worst to best and post it, and have total control. I find it interesting seeing how a group communally picks its favourite, even if I personally feel different. All voters upset the order of things to some extent, that's the point, but I didn't vote in an attempt to upset any perceived favourites from landing where they should.

9. Noooo not Hello Earth...I had so hoped for a Top 10 placing.

10. I want you to know, in the kindest of ways, that if I wrote here what I'm thinking I'd get banned. x

On a serious note though, I believe some members are not upset with you because of your "taste", but because of the general tone. Don't take it as an attack.

Phonetics Boy likes this.
  11. Yes, 'Get Out Of My House' shakes things up a bit at the album's end. I really love the frantic call and response thing she does on her own. The guitar motif running through the second half is great, too. The way it is echoed in the parts sung alternately by Kate and her brother Paddy are also brilliant. I'm not a fan of the concierge bits, though, so I could only give this a 9.

Yes, this has to be one of her most beautiful, gentle and moving pieces of work. Although it seems quite subdued on the surface, there is so much drama going on. The lyrics are indeed very evocative. I love Kate's emotional delivery of the lines "I'll wake up to any sound of engines/Every gull a seeking craft" and the tender way she sings "Like poppies/Heavy with seed". The sound effects and her mother's "Come here to me now" are great, too. 10 points.

This is my joint favourite from the album. The chorus contrasts nicely with the verses and is one of her most affecting although the pathos of her delivery is slightly over the top near the end (especially when she sings "Just let us try/To give these moments back/To those we love/To those who will survive"). The outro is a bit too long without another chorus, and I also believe that all the references to people close to her makes this part of the lyrics difficult for the listener to care about and apply to one's own loved ones. 9 points. I'm surprised this is out as I expected it to be in the top 10 here.

To you and the three other high scorers: a great choice. I also would have liked to pick a track from The Ninth Wave, but couldn't decide which one to choose at the expense of the others.
    Unfortunately not in this rate.
    Interesting. I initially struggled with the choir, too, but now it's such an integral part that I couldn't listen to the song without it.

It's a shame: all but one track from The Dreaming left, and all of The Ninth Wave or any album tracks gone before the top 10. It's also sad that the highlights from Aerial and 50 Words For Snow left way too soon. I guess it was to be expected that the top 10 would be full of the most famous singles, so I have to console myself with the fact that The Dreaming was the last album to lose a track and that The Ninth Wave fared relatively well overall.

Since her masterpiece has now gone in its entirety that only leaves the following tracks I'd consider the most worthy of the top 5:
    1. Cloudbusting
    2. The Man With The Child In His Eyes
    3. The Sensual World
    4. Hounds Of Love
    5. Babooshka
    I'd also be happy for 'Sat In Your Lap' sneaking in, but I guess we're in for a top 5 (and likely even top 10) without a single The Dreaming track.

12. 'The Red Shoes' coming third from The Red Shoes is also a what the bleep moment. It's not even in the top 5 of that album.

13. You're talking about one person's scores, though. Out of 20-something (or was it 30?) votes, one person 'tanking' a song doesn't really have a big enough effect, if everyone else thinks it's at least a 5.

Let's be extreme and assume that the average for one of those songs without me was 6 and I zeroed it. Assuming there were (conservatively) 20 voters, all that would do would bring an average score of 6 down to 5.7. If there were 30 voters, it would bring an average score of 6 down to 5.8. An average score of 7.5 with 20 voters would drop to 7.125 with one zero; and from 7.5 to 7.25 with 30 voters. One zero does not make a huge difference. Those are 'receipts'.

But what I was talking about with my comments is that the general consensus here, based on the results, is that The Dreaming is only good enough to have 3 songs in the top 20 of Kate's discography, and only one of its songs is good enough to be in the top 14. That's crazy! Before this rate, my impression was that the album was a fan favourite, second only (especially once you include the more-casual fans) to Hounds of Love - that also seems to be the result from the poll attached to the thread. But it's not playing out like that in the rate.

I'm not talking about one person 'tanking' a song; I'm talking about the group result.

And before you accuse me of being a delusional Dreaming stan, I am equally shocked that 'Sat In Your Lap' is supposedly the 'best' song from the album - according to this rate. I'd probably rank it 7th or 8th on the album, and would have been OK with it leaving at #25, so I'm similarly perplexed by that result.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  14. wow two songs where i was the lowest score and one song i didn't give more than 7 leaving back to back? right after my 11 was gone???

is this some kind of revenge

get out of my house deserved better though, solid 9

15. So today you'll find out the top 10 and two singles leave! haha

16. So, here we are just one track away from the top 10, but which track just misses out on a place in it?...

[​IMG]

The Man With The Child In His Eyes 9.12

Highest Score: 10 x 13 @WhatKindOfKylie?, @djmakemewet, @Scoundrel_Days, @1991, @sfmartin, @Ed72, @Jóga, @confess85, @slurmjunkie, @Karvel, @lob0to, @Itty Bitty Piggy, @Remorque
    Lowest Score: 5.5 x 1 @Ana Raquel

@lob0to - 10 Love it. Love it even more with the spooky "he's here" giggles from the 7".
    @Remorque - 10 What kind of hidden classic though. I've always loved this one as she sounds incredible and that piano line never fails to give me the feels. Kate's voice can sometimes be a bit much, but here she shows just how much range she actually has and, well, that's fucking TALENT.
    @confess85 - 10 Stunning song. To write this at 13 is a true mark of her genius.
    @sfmartin - 10 Such sophisticated songwriting for someone so young. But then Kate never was just someone.
    @Jóga - 10 Now this is where Kate first impressed me when I heard The Whole Story. There seems to be a sort of emergency in the Kate’s delivery which makes it really hit the mark for me. The marvelous melody and lyrics notwithstanding.
    @djmakemewet - 10 This is stunning. Those who make comments about Kate's voice really ought to listen to this. I'm aware it was probably recorded before she developed some of her vocal affectations, but it proves that she has a gorgeous voice. And that's without even getting into the amazing songcraft she was displaying at the age of 13.
    @Music Is Life - 9.5 This is a gorgeous ballad. I love the production, and the piano throughout the song.
    @Seventeen Days - 9.5 Here’s a surprising fact: despite being a big Kate fan, this is the first time I’ve actually sat and listened to this song. Why? I have no clue, but you can bet I’ll be adding this song to my library. The fact that she wrote this when she was only 13 is mind-blowing.
    @DominoDancing - 9 Great lyrics, fantastic melody. And under three minutes long. I wish would Kate would have remembered that brevity can be a virtue later in her career.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 9 Warm and soothing. This isn't a criticism, but I picture this to be the kind of song that would help you get to sleep if you had insomnia due to anxiety. Similarly, the instrumental could be used as a jingle for a cough drops TV commercial.
    @Untitled - 8 Don't trust that man, sis! Paranormal activity or not, that sounds like grooming!
    @abael - 8 Younger Kate despite being known for her free flowing, sometimes wild vocals, often makes better songs when she's in her (unfortunately rare) more conservative moments.
    @OspreyQueen - 6.5 Eh, can’t say I’ve ever liked this one much. It’s cute, but I often forget about it in the grand scheme of her discography.

17. On one hand, y'all have no taste.

On the other, my would-be-11 reached the top10 so Y'ALL DID SOMETHING RIGHT.

lob0to, sfmartin, djmakemewet and 2 others like this.
  18. Wait sis this is fucking professional, I'd make it a poster if Army Dreamers wasn't included

berserkboi, Ray, Sally_Harper and 7 others like this.
  19. I know every exit is bound to hurt at this point, but... this one hurts.

EDIT: On the other hand, just look at that graphic... whew, a top ten!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.