This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!) | Page 84 | The Popjustice Forum

This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by P'NutButter, Mar 4, 2019.

?

Favourite Kate Bush album?

1. The Kick Inside

3 vote(s)
    2.8%
  2. Lionheart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Never For Ever

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  4. The Dreaming

22 vote(s)
    20.8%
  5. Hounds Of Love

57 vote(s)
    53.8%
  6. The Sensual World

8 vote(s)
    7.5%
  7. The Red Shoes

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  8. Aerial

5 vote(s)
    4.7%
  9. Director's Cut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 50 Words For Snow

3 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. donotbesosure.ezgif.com-add-text.gif

lob0to likes this.
  2. We shall see if you are right, ready for #9?...

@ohnoitisnathan - 10 Crazy in a good way. "I want to be a lawyer, I want to be a scholar, but I really can't be bothered" and the frustrating quest for knowledge perfectly encapsulates my life.
    @Music Is Life - 10 WHAT AN OPENER. Holy shit. This is really weird, and really fun, and really great. I love the lyrics, but the production really gives the song that extra “umph.” The ending might just be the best part.
    @lob0to - 10 Now this is just brilliantly bonkers and what cemented my fandom.
    @confess85 - 10 Utterly bonkers and brilliant.

@sfmartin - 10 A thrilling opener. Propelled with such cacophonous momentum, it grabs you from the word go. Way ahead of its time as with most of her work. The subject matter is more relevant today than ever.
    @Jóga - 10 It took me the longest time to decipher what she’s singing on this... And even then I LOVED it. It’s a rollercoaster!
    @djmakemewet - 10 This was a sure sign that Kate's next album would not be like the others. Those crashing drums that somehow sound chaotic and controlled, the horn stabs, the “ooh ooh” punctuating the verses, that echoed shouted chorus. In less capable hands, this song could have easily wound up being overcooked. This was one of those songs that really spoke to me when I was doing my PhD and felt disenchanted at the thought of pushing on so often. The video also used to scare me a bit when I watched it as a kid. As a result, this one took a while to grow on me, but I'm so glad it did!

@nametag - 9 Her voice in this is just insane and… that video… Love the drums and synths, one of her best album openers tbh.
    @Seventeen Days - 9 Those huge booming drums with the synth stabs running under Kate’s vocals are what sell this song for me. I especially love the video with Kate and the two weird figures skating around in huge dunce caps, a clever nod to the song’s subject of man’s constant thirst for knowledge.
    @DominoDancing - 8.5 Great drum programming, love how insane Kate sounds on this.
    @OspreyQueen - 8 A fascinatingly bonkers song, and…it slaps pretty damn hard. I love how it gets more and more frantic until it almost sounds like it’s collapsing in on itself.

3. With that leaving, we say goodbye to my personal favourite Kate album, the dark work of genius that is The Dreaming...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Highest Scorers:

@ohnoitisnathan
    @djmakemewet
    @Ed72

Lowest Scorers:

@abael
    @WhatKindOfKylie?
    @1991

4. Well, there we go. This has probably turned out better than it should for me, with three 7s and an 8 in contention there's a 50% chance that this has a happy ending. Really the worst that could happen now is my lone five left winning, and knowing how it could've gone down, I'm at peace with that possibility. Thanks for making this roller-coaster ride very pretty, @P'NutButter .

P'NutButter likes this.
  5. In her trinity of best openers along with Sensual World and RUTH, sadly it didn't make top 5! I'm happy with Dreaming taking the 1st or 2nd highest average though

6. aux

aux

Kate has some of the best opening tracks of all time. Rubberband Girl? Bop. King of the Mountain? Bop. Running Up That Hill? Bop. Sat In Your Lap? Bop. Babooskha? Bop. The Sensual World? Bop.

7. A couple of 11's are going with this next one...

[​IMG]

@lob0to - 11 Pure class, song and video. My 11 but only just.

@Karvel - 11 This is the one. Every time I hear those bells at the beginning, my mind goes back to seven years ago, when I first heard the song, it was late August and I was travelling with my family throughout Sicily, and all I can imagine is the torrid and hot temperature, the blue sky, the Mediterranean landscapes and the excitement of seeing such a beautiful place for the first time, As years grew by this became the song from Kate, it take one of my favourite pieces from literature, one that I hold dearly as the most joyful and articulated statement of what Eros is, I listened to the song so many times, yet every time time, every year it bears such a different meaning ,while I still relive those memories of when I heard it for the first time, it's probably one of the song that stayed with me the most and will probably and hopefully stay with me for the years coming. It does also contain an interpolation from one my favourite Medieval composition; Nevestinko Oro (the Ensemble Unicorn did such a beautiful version of it, if you are into this kind of music, I highly suggest you to check it out).

@Seventeen Days - 10 That church bell segueing into those lush and gorgeous synths, mixed with the uilleann pipe. In the words of Kate, “MMMH YES.”
    @sfmartin - 10 Definitely among my favourite songs of hers. Such a majestic track. The unique way each verse flows into the next, taking you on this intimate journey. Which is depicted wonderfully in the video. Musical genius.
    @Jóga - 10 Smooth, velvety.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 10 Mmmm quite good.
    @31entrance - 10 It is so...sensual
    @The Hot Rock - 10 Lives up to the title by being one of the most sensual Kate songs? Love it.

@djmakemewet - 9 This may have been my introduction to post-Whole Story Kate, though I didn't understand the lyrical source until much later. I actually think that Flower of the Mountain made me appreciate this song more in that I could understand how Kate had created something that matched its source text in theme, cadence and internal rhyme whilst still finding some space to be a bit meta about the whole thing. In particular, ending the song on “but not yet” felt like a cheeky nod to the way that she hadn't been able to realise her vision at the time and so seeing that come to fruition over 20 years later was quite a joyful experience.
    @DominoDancing - 7.5 Again, I really like the fiddle part here. I sweat I don't have thing for them outside of Kate's work, but she uses them so well in her arrangements.
    @OspreyQueen - 6 I’ve never really been able to connect with this one. The instrumental is very pretty, but the song as a whole drags on a bit, and I’ve never read Ulysses so the lyrics do nothing for me. I was surprised to find out it was even a single because it feels much more like an album intro.

8. The Sensual World just flows so beautifully, a special little song. Breathing should have left before it.

9. I feel like I didn't pay attention to the lyrics when I wrote that.

P'NutButter and Verandi like this.
  10. imagine if it gets second place instead of first just because of my score
    [​IMG]

11. Imagine if it doesn't even make the bloody top 5 because of your score!

12. Mmmmmmm nope.

This should have been top 5 at the very least.

Trouble in Paradise and lob0to like this.
  13. Sat in Your Lap is my favourite KB song. It’s a muscular, crazed thing that doesn’t let up. And she looks absolutely gorgeous in the video.

slurmjunkie and P'NutButter like this.
  14. The ROBBERY of it all, so sad let me catch up with the rest

P'NutButter likes this.
  15. Ready, take a deep breath because this one will hurt...

@ohnoitisnathan - 10 Another contender for my 11, as cliche as that may be. I'm guessing this will win. It's funny how this has become so 'popular', given that it didn't exactly set the charts on fire when released.
    @Seventeen Days - 10 If this song doesn’t make you tear up, even a little, then you might want to check your veins for ice. One of the most moving vocals I’ve ever heard.
    @DominoDancing - 10 Fantastic track. Emotional from the very first "a-haaa".
    @Untitled - 10 Not even gonna pretend like I didn't cry a bit.
    @Jóga - 10 Masterclass in ballad writing.

@31entrance - 10 Honestly a gorgeous ballad
    @sfmartin - 10 Well clearly this song has taken on a life of its own. It deserves all the praise and recognition and any song that draws peoples attention to Kate's genius is a good thing. Her vocal is heartbreaking and full of so much emotion, it takes you breath away. The combination of the screaming and the vocal becoming frantic is stunning.
    @OspreyQueen - 10 The fact that I literally can’t find the words to describe how breathtaking this song is says it all in itself.
    @djmakemewet - 10 this is a key track in Kate's catalogue for a reason; it's bloody gorgeous. It's a tricky task to make a song as emotional as this without being overwrought, but Kate pulls off this delicate balancing act with aplomb. The build in this song with the final “Oh darling, make it go away” gives me chills. Kate just knows how to close an album.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  16. With that shocker, we lose yet another album from the rate The Sensual World...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Highest Scorers:

@aux
    @Music Is Life
    @Scoundrel_Days

Lowest Scorers:

@abael
    @Wild Man.
    @Jam

17. Oh wow. Oh WOW.

18. aux

aux

@Ana Raquel let’s talk baby, explain yourself, you don’t just drop a bomb like that and not say anything

19. I'm sorry I didn't take part, but I'm just catching up and y'all have done This Woman's Work dirty. Seven!?

Was Under the Ivy included in the rate, and has it been eliminated? I think that would've been my 11.

20. I was surprised enough to see The Sensual World leave so soon, but now This Woman's Work!?

the-line-the-cross-and-the-curve-f6afb8a2-a660-4332-9bce-0d34e79f0c4-resize-750.gif

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.