This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!) | Page 85 | The Popjustice Forum

This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by P'NutButter, Mar 4, 2019.

?

Favourite Kate Bush album?

1. The Kick Inside

3 vote(s)
    2.8%
  2. Lionheart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Never For Ever

4 vote(s)
    3.7%
  4. The Dreaming

22 vote(s)
    20.6%
  5. Hounds Of Love

58 vote(s)
    54.2%
  6. The Sensual World

8 vote(s)
    7.5%
  7. The Red Shoes

4 vote(s)
    3.7%
  8. Aerial

5 vote(s)
    4.7%
  9. Director's Cut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 50 Words For Snow

3 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. It left at #16, I think?

andru, aux and P'NutButter like this.
  2. Anything not on The Whole Story seems fair game for being severely underrated in this rate.

slurmjunkie, lob0to and P'NutButter like this.
  3. Just to say 'This Woman's Work' was a contender for quite a long time in time as it was top 5 for most of the voting.

4. I think the trouble with discography rates is... that you get people who are listening to the album tracks for the first time, and may only give them one listen before assigning a score. So, a lot of the songs are scored according to how well they come across on first listen.

Which is what I suspect has happened here. Hence, the well-known tracks from The Whole Story outperforming everything else.

Trouble in Paradise and lob0to like this.
  5. Girl you've listened to Aerial once.

6. I think in the case of This Woman's Work and Moments of Pleasure, we've got songs that are clearly beloved (the sheer number of 10s each song scored is evidence of that) but they didn't quite manage to be somebody's 11. Given that we only have a 0.03 point difference between #9, #8 and #7 an 11 or 2 could presumably have really helped This Woman's Work out. I count myself as somebody who almost gave this song my 11.

All the things I should've given, but I didn't indeed.

7. NO! Not the magical combination of both The Sensual World and then This Woman's Work, booted out back to back?! This surely can't be!!! Two of her all time finest songs put to paper I think. And haven't aged a day too. Man, this is just so tough!!!

Trouble in Paradise and Karvel like this.
  8. This hurts, but not completely unexpected. It went quite far considering it's a b-side!

P'NutButter and djmakemewet like this.
  9. Ok.... The Sensual World AND This Woman's Work I... Clearly optimism was a mistake. This ride has CRASHED. I can't believe I'm relying on Breathing and Cloudbusting at this point, for this to end well. Of course a Kate Bush rate would pull this, it would be very on brand for her. I mean her discography ends with 50WFS, no reason her rate shouldn't also end in the same fashion as her artistry.

Future Lover and P'NutButter like this.
  10. The dramatics in the post above me. It was always obvious the single that put her in the UK spotlight, the much beloved and popular run of singles from HOL and one or two singles from the also outsanding run of Never would be on top. These eras were her most successful too, in a way

11. With seven solid songs including an absolute career highlight?

This rate did Misty so dirty.

12. I haven't, actually. I've listened to it three times too many.

I was well-versed with Kate's work when I got Aerial, and knew from first listen that it wasn't up to scratch. I didn't like The Red Shoes at first, but there were still a couple of songs I liked on first listen. That didn't happen with Aerial.

And it's not quite the same thing as listening to an artist's entire back catalogue that isn't the well-known singles for the first time and making a judgement.

The B-sides generally tanked in this rate - quite possibly because they were new to a decent chunk of participants.

13. I know giving each other a ribbing about scores and complaining about personal favourites leaving too early is part of the fun when it comes to a rate. But can we perhaps not get too condescending?

OspreyQueen likes this.
  14. Boy oh boy y’all are not gonna like the score I gave Cloudbusting.

ohnoitisnathan and P'NutButter like this.
  15. Make that 24 tens. My name's missing from the list.

16. @OspreyQueen It seems like there's always one for every song in this rate. Considering that person is me for about a third of them, I can't be mad.

OspreyQueen likes this.
  17. I was hoping The Sensual World to take a spot in the top 5 (I mean, honestly Wuthering Heights is iconic, but nowhere my top 10), same to This Woman's Work, very happy to see Breathing doing this well, at this point I hope It can take a spot in the top 3.

djmakemewet and Cutlery like this.
  18. Just missing out on the top 5, is this very iconic track...

@ohnoitisnathan - 10 Another interesting theme for a song, but this time well-executed, with an iconic video.
    @JonBcn - 10 This song brings back my first Kate memory, in which I was sitting in the family car, aged about 6 and this came on the radio my Dad said, “is this the doctor’s daughter from Surrey?” [yes, that is how my father used to view people] I was intrigued, and found out my elder sister had The Kick inside, and so I went to listen to it, and the rest was history.
    @Seventeen Days - 10 One of Kate’s most iconic songs, and it’s not hard to see why. I love the way she kind of sings with a restrained voice as the wife, then just belts it all out when she becomes Babooshka during the chorus. The Babooshka costume also seems to be one of the more famous looks of Kate’s career, as it tends to come up quite often when she is mentioned online.
    @djmakemewet - 10 I think the stabbing piano chords make for a great opener to an album. Once again this feels like a song where the public reaction to the song and video overlooks the paranoia and mistrust throughout. I love how the name Babooshka heightens the song's theme even though Kate didn't know what it meant when she wrote it.
    @confess85 - 10 Love the use of the fairlight on this.

@sfmartin - 10 Debating about this for my 11. I was obsessed with this song and more importantly the video as a child. I remember that in the chorus she looked like some fantastical S&M pirate superhero and I wanted desperately to be her. How many days little me went running around the house in a cape with a ruler as my sword.
    @Untitled - 10 One of those classics you simply seem to have known forever.
    @Jóga - 10 It took me an enormous amount of time to appreciate the three first albums because of the sort of traditional pop-rock-musical theatre sound which I’m not fond of. Babooshka was easily the first song of this era that stood out for me because 1- the chorus delivers after there’s a build up, 2- the fantastic video and 3- the lyrics. We know she is an outstanding storyteller, but it doesn’t get much better than this to me.
    @The Hot Rock - 9 Some of my favorite vocal delivery so far in the rate.
    @DominoDancing - 9 Her openers get better and better. The lyrics are genius, and the melody is very catchy. Overall a bit more conventional than my favourite Kate tracks though.
    @OspreyQueen - 8 A great song and a classic in Kate’s discography, but I also have to admit it doesn’t do anything exceptional.

19. Losing The Sensual World and This Woman's Work before the Top 5 feels... wrong. And that's coming from someone very dismissive of their parent album. Can't believe how messy the entire rate is. But lovely graphics, beautiful graphics!

20. You guys don't know how happy I'd be if Hounds of Love stole this.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.