This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!) | Page 86 | The Popjustice Forum

This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by P'NutButter, Mar 4, 2019.

?

Favourite Kate Bush album?

1. The Kick Inside

3 vote(s)
    2.8%
  2. Lionheart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Never For Ever

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  4. The Dreaming

22 vote(s)
    20.8%
  5. Hounds Of Love

57 vote(s)
    53.8%
  6. The Sensual World

8 vote(s)
    7.5%
  7. The Red Shoes

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  8. Aerial

5 vote(s)
    4.7%
  9. Director's Cut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 50 Words For Snow

3 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. It surely won't happen because of one of the scores but yeah it's my fave too.

aux likes this.
  2. aux

aux

The winner surely is one of these three Running Up That Hill, Hounds of Love and Cloudbusting.

3. Babooshka deserved top 5 though
    [​IMG]

Phonetics Boy likes this.
  4. Well, we're about to find out if this rate reaches the point where having a sole 5 or 6 is enough to stop something from reaching the top, because if so...
    ezgif.com-resize.gif

5. aux

aux

Why I am not surprised it's you

Trouble in Paradise likes this.
  6. Because it's been me more times than not it seems.

7. Praying for a Running+Cloudbusting top 2.

8. Five 11's leave today.
    [​IMG]

9. When I was a kid and my knowledge of English was very limited, I honestly thought that Babooshka was about a woman who kept on tripping and falling into furniture and the sound of glass breaking only seemed to confirm it.

I would love for a triple H top 3 (Hill-Heights-Hounds).

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  10. Amazing.

Querelle Mix likes this.
  11. So what will make the top 3, and what will just fall short?... we'll see tonight, but first...

@djmakemewet - 11 I thought long and hard about which song should earn my 11 in this rate. Whilst there were other strong contenders, I felt that Breathing was the most worthy choice, not only for its merits as a song in its own right, but because of the way it seems to act as a gateway to the next phase of Kate's career. As with Army Dreamers, Kate puts a maternal spin on this tale of nuclear holocaust as experienced through the eyes of a newborn baby and it only makes the song that much more devastating. The build, the ominous whispered vocals, the way the music explodes towards the final verse, those chilling backing vocals singing “we are all going to die” - it's masterfully constructed and it's pleasing to learn that – at least at the time – Kate was so rightfully proud of it. That the song could be stripped of all its production and be equally chilling and affecting as a piano/vocal piece speaks volumes about Kate's skills as both a writer/composer and a producer and that final bass note is genuinely unsettling.

@ohnoitisnathan - 10 A moving piece about a dark subject; the kind of thing Kate does (or did) rather well.
    @lob0to - 10 My thoughts at the time - wow, she's actually getting really good. De-vel-op-ment and all that shite.
    @JonBcn - 10 So, my father used to basically drive nuclear submarines. Growing up in that environment, I had a pretty unhealthy fascination with nuclear war (as a lot of people who were kids in the early ‘80s), and this song use to fascinate and terrify me in equal measure. Ending the album with this was the perfect pointer to the incredible feats of creativity that were to come on the next two albums.
    @confess85 - 10 Really haunting song. This one really stood out to me when I discovered Kate when I was 13 and has remained a favourite since.
    @DominoDancing - 10 Another contender for my 11. This is high drama drama drama, and yet very moving and emotional.

@31entrance - 10 Such an emotional song and it’s over 5 minutes long but it doesn’t feel like it...it’s that good
    @Jóga - 10 The two-punch of Army Dreamers and this is unbelievable.
    @The Hot Rock - 10 These closing tracks have been consistently amazing so far. Slay.
    @Untitled - 9.5 Explosively epic.
    @Seventeen Days - 9.5 Leave it to the woman to end with a powerhouse track like this. Kate’s lyrics about an unborn child suffering the effects of a nuclear war really just cut to the chase, and the otherworldly backing vocals kind of add to the suffocating feel of the music. Also, the audio of the man talking about a nuclear blast, and the way it starts out muffled and slowly gets clearer, is eerie as fuck.
    @Music Is Life - 9.5 A great album closer. I love the production, and the middle-8 through to the ending is very – I don't know I feel like cool isn't the right word but it's the only one I can think of. Gorgeous song, love the lyrics as well.
    @OspreyQueen - 9 An incredibly chilling song which has sadly only got more poignant as time’s gone on. I find it difficult to listen to most of the time because of how grim it is, but I can’t deny it’s masterful.
    @sfmartin - 9 This song and particularly the video used to scare me as a kid. Such powerful subject matter and such a unique interpretation of nuclear fall out. So poetic. Love the screaming in the background and that slow build up to the thundering outro which takes your breath away.

12. Genuinely pleasantly surprised to have seen Breathing make it this far - every time @P'NutButter announced that an 11 would be leaving I was convinced it would be this so I'm very happy to see it get as far as #5! I'd be here for Hounds of Love (a very close contender for my 11) to take the whole thing at this point.

13. So it's three Hounds of Love tracks and Wuthering Heights.

[​IMG]

Karvel, Music Is Life, Aester and 6 others like this.
  14. aux

aux

What did you expect sis

Aester, djmakemewet and P'NutButter like this.
  15. Wow I didn’t expect to be a low scorer on any album but Never for Ever is a very uneven listen for me. This does feel like the right time for “Breathing” to go. Still crushed there’s nothing from The Sensual World in the Top 5!

16. who knew Breathing would be the highest ranked song from Never For Ever? it's such a great song with so much emotion and about such a dark matter. I cannot repeat myself enough or emphasis this enough, Kate is truly a genius

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    sfmartin, lob0to, P'NutButter and 2 others like this.
  17. Pretty much perfect I think.

18. I’ve only just caught up but it goes without saying that every track since #11 (and probably prior to that) has been a great loss (apart from Army Dreamers - it’s a great little song, but no).

Glad to see my 11 is still hanging in there. It’s literally possibly the greatest song of all time and helped shape who I am as a person.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.