This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!) | Page 87 | The Popjustice Forum

This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by P'NutButter, Mar 4, 2019.

?

Favourite Kate Bush album?

1. The Kick Inside

3 vote(s)
    2.8%
  2. Lionheart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Never For Ever

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  4. The Dreaming

22 vote(s)
    20.8%
  5. Hounds Of Love

57 vote(s)
    53.8%
  6. The Sensual World

8 vote(s)
    7.5%
  7. The Red Shoes

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  8. Aerial

5 vote(s)
    4.7%
  9. Director's Cut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 50 Words For Snow

3 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. This rate has really and truly made me appreciate the genius of Kate Bush. She's a true one off and well never see the like again I think.

2. So, here we go...

[​IMG]

@Music Is Life - 11 This is very 80s isn't it? Of course, that's a good thing. I love the production, cause even though you can tell it's from the 80s, it feels like Kate puts her own spin on it. I love her voice on this, she should have been singing like this all the time. The lyrics are great as usual. The guitar throughout is probably my favorite bit. I decided to give this my 11 cause it's just perfect. I love everything about, it's seriously an amazing song, and I'm so glad I know it exists now. It just grows and grows with each listen and I never get tired of it. I love it. Please let this win, or make top 5.

@Jóga - 11 Only recently I’ve identified with the fears that can arise during a relationship from the start. And I’ve kept going back to this song for the past two years because it’s like a hug. She knows what it feels like.

@djmakemewet - 10 This was a very close contender for my 11. The way that this song's production manages to be somewhat streamlined, but also constantly builds is stunning. The cellos that mimic a quickening heartbeat and the synth wash that sounds like trepidation really embody the lyrics of the song. Only Kate could make backing vocals that sound like barking dogs work and the explosion at the end of the song is unmatched in her discography. It was only on the recent remaster that I heard the tremolo during “his little heart/It beats so fast” and I was in awe.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 10 Good.
    @Seventeen Days - 10 The moment the drums hit and that voice frantically cries “It’s in the trees! It’s coming!”, you can tell this song is going to be quite a ride. Kate’s vocals paired with the synth strings is so freaking good, and I absolutely love it. The “alternate mix” is pretty interesting as well, but honestly doesn’t hold a candle to the album version.
    @OspreyQueen - 10 The definition of a sad-banger. Even today it’s pretty amazing how well the fast-paced beat goes with the melancholy chord progression and heartbreaking lyrics. The verse about the fox always makes me shed a tear or two.
    @sfmartin - 10 A stone cold classic. A superb short and snappy pop song.
    @DominoDancing - 7.5 Surprisingly, I never fell in love with this. One my low points on this album (still pretty good though).

3. Well, it almost got top 3... Congrats, much further than I would have it, the worst of the 4 is gone.

4. aux

aux

Explain yourself on why you gave it a bloody 5, make it make sense

5. Wuthering Heights in the top 3 is expected but I wish HOL had been there instead (then again the averages are super tight at this point, are they not?)

Music Is Life, aux and Querelle Mix like this.
  6. I see you!

There's a bit more distance between Breathing and Hounds of Love than the few songs before it, but with Hounds of Love scoring 9.6 it must surely be tight between that top 3!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    slurmjunkie and P'NutButter like this.
  7. Five = average for me. Nothing special, not bad, but I wouldn't describe it as a good song. That is how I view this title track. Sorry if everyone agreed that that wasn't the case, but I wasn't present when everyone decided it was something special. What about it would warrant an 11?

8. I am surprised that 'The Empty Bullring' and 'Egypt' were not more popular.

9. aux

aux

I'm not

ArronJustMight likes this.
  10. Hounds Of Love just goes off! What an magical song.

11. I think Hounds of Love is my favourite song of all time. The painful vulnerability of the lyrics against the urgency of the music just sends me.

12. So, shall I just reveal third place today and leave two for tomorrow or just do them all today? Hmmm

13. All today! weeeeeeee

14. Running up That Hill waiting for the crown.

[​IMG]

Karvel, JMRGBY, JamesJupiter and 8 others like this.
  15. "Hounds of Love" isn't good enough even to be Top 3 on the parent album (IN MY OPINION), let alone in her discography.

16. *puts on ignore list*
    *opens Instagram*
    *unfollows*

17. Today would be fitting since it's Kate's birthday.

18. I agree with the comments above. Considering it's such a quiet song, 'Army Dreamers' did surprisingly well in this rate. No way did this deserve to be in the top 10, but at least it makes it a bit less predictable. The reason I "only" gave this a 9 is that the way Kate repeatedly sings its title in the chorus sounds a bit grating. My favourite part is the pre-chorus with its great call and response between Kate and the male backing vocalists.

The production on this is amazing. The drum sound is clearly indebted to Phil Collins' contributions to 'Intruder' and 'No Self Control' from Peter Gabriel's excellent third album, which is not surprising since it was the year before and Kate Bush sang backing vocals on two tracks including 'No Self Control'. I also love how she screams out the chorus like a banshee. The ending, however, is the weakest part for me: too repetitive and grating. Normally, I would have had to deduct a point for it, but everything else on this is so brilliant I had to give it a 10. Also, it's nice to at least have one song from The Dreaming in the top 10 even if it isn't 'Suspended In Gaffa'.

I agree with the last three. The first two got a 7 from me, 'Running Up That Hill' an 8, but I'm afraid that isn't low enough to keep it off the top spot like @abael's and @Ana Raquel's lowest scores for top 10 tracks.

You're missing my well-deserved 10 again.
    This is the first time I've heard this: the similarities are obvious, but Kate really made this her own with the help of her musicians.
    Yes, it definitely lives up to its title.

I love all the parts you mentioned, but I had to deduct one point for the twinkly keyboards during the chorus, which sound very dated and a bit cheesy.

While your complaint is based on an observation I agree with (see my reply below), it's a bit rich coming from someone who rated large amounts of the second PSB discography rate on the last day, not even bothering to listen to every song at least once in its entirety:
    I'll repost my original reply:

Yes, all of these aspects make 'Babooshka' my favourite track (and only 10) from Never For Ever.

'Breathing' is one of the highlights from the album. 9 points. I thought it was an easy 10, but on relistening for the rate I found that the climax following the build-up is a bit of a letdown: to me it sounds like a stale rock musical, especially because of the backing vocals. As with 'Army Dreamers', I am surprised at how well this did. Maybe @ohnoitisnathan's theory that the songs widely known because of their inclusion on The Whole Story outperformed worthier tracks is true. Then again, 'The Dreaming' was the first song to leave from its parent album. I suspect it must have been skipped a lot by casual listeners giving The Whole Story a spin.

I'm happy for you that your plea was collectively answered, but there isn't a guitar on this. Do you mean the cello parts?
    Yes, well put. It's another perfect song from an almost perfect album. 10 points.

I hope that 'Cloudbusting' wins this, with 'Wuthering Heights' second before 'Running Up That Hill'. But I suspect it will be exactly the other way round.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  19. It's a good song. But hardly among her top 5. Top 20, between 15 and 20, would be more like it.

lob0to, slurmjunkie and P'NutButter like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.