This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!) | Page 88 | The Popjustice Forum

This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by P'NutButter, Mar 4, 2019.

?

Favourite Kate Bush album?

1. The Kick Inside

3 vote(s)
    2.8%
  2. Lionheart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Never For Ever

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  4. The Dreaming

22 vote(s)
    20.8%
  5. Hounds Of Love

57 vote(s)
    53.8%
  6. The Sensual World

8 vote(s)
    7.5%
  7. The Red Shoes

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  8. Aerial

5 vote(s)
    4.7%
  9. Director's Cut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 50 Words For Snow

3 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. I'm not sure why I participated in that second Pet Shop Boys discography rate, as I knew from the outset that I'd probably loathe more than half of the songs. I didn't participate in part 3, you'll notice. I think I wanted to rate Very, and thought I'd at least give the other albums I hadn't heard a go. Big mistake; they weren't my thing at all. But I did actually listen to the songs. Well, there were a couple I skipped part-way through, because I thought they were so bad, but it would have been fewer than five songs.

The Whole Story was the first Kate album I got, and I hated 'The Dreaming' at first/used to always skip it. It wasn't until I got The Dreaming, 3 and a bit years later, that I grew to appreciate it, in the context of its parent album. I was reluctant to get The Dreaming, actually, because of my feelings towards the title track on The Whole Story. If there were a sizable chunk of casual fans participating in this rate, it would make sense for 'The Dreaming' to barely scrape the top 50, as it's hardly an accessible track.

2. I feel ashamed of myself that this didn't click. But oh my god it's so meant to be! Happy Birthday my queen of everything!!!!

and with that we'll see what finishes in third place...

[​IMG]

@JonBcn - 11 One of the reasons I took so long to give my votes is that I couldn’t decide which song to give my 11 to. In the end I went for Cloudbusting and one of the reasons was this: the live shows were a lifelong dream come true for me, and I’m not embarrassed to admit that while I held it together most of the night, it was this song that finally made me lose the plot. A lot of the show is a blur for me, even though I saw it twice, but I can clearly remember the end of the encore on the opening night, the euphoric singalong in the crowd, tears streaming down faces, strangers high-fiving each other. Björk was mere seats away from me, but everybody left her in peace, there was no room for any energy or emotion other than the sheer admiration for what we saw and heard from the stage. There was so much expectation that night: nobody knew whether she would be able to sing as well as she used to, nobody had an inkling of what an incredible and unique show it would be – hell, we didn’t even know what she’d look like! So, the encore was like a victory lap; she’d exceeded our expectations and I think she knew it, and the final singalong of Cloudbusting gave everyone a chance to finally belt something out at the top of their lungs, everyone was too respectful to join in with anything up until that point. I’ve always loved the song, but whenever I hear it, I am transported back to that moment and it gives me a high, even now. I feel so sorry for anyone that couldn’t make the shows, and I wish Kate would relent one day and release the DVD. God, that all sounds really wanky, apols.

@ohnoitisnathan - 10 Classic. But again, too long towards the end.
    @nametag - 10 Her performance of this at Before the Dawn will go down as one of the most transcendent live music moments of my life.
    @Seventeen Days - 10 This track was also an 11 contender for me. The contrast of the joyous, upbeat music paired with the melancholy lyrics from the young Peter’s point of view really just make this song top-notch. Personally, I think that the Organon Mix from the 12” is even better than the album version.

@sfmartin - 10 Just incredible. Gorgeous vocals delicately wrapped around beautiful melodies and dramatic production. A wonderful progression to such a stirring and powerful climax with the choir. It was the perfect closer at the live show. The video is also something very special.
    @Jóga - 10 My other 11. The sheer optimism that it exudes... Sometimes you just need that to get by on a shitty day.
    @31entrance - 10 “But every time it rains/You're here in my head/Like the sun coming out” are probably one of my fave Kate lyrics ever

@djmakemewet - 10 I love the propulsive nature of this sign, the way it builds and builds particularly as the strings and drums enter all leading up to that glorious climax. The moment where she says “we're cloudbusting, daddy” sounds so triumphant it's hard not to be overwhelmed. It's also hard to separate that line and the song as a whole from its wonderful music video.
    @DominoDancing - 8 Very beautiful and elegant melody. Loses a bit of steam towards the end.
    @OspreyQueen - 5 Yeahhh, I just don’t get this one. The lyrical subject doesn’t interest me at all, it’s far too repetitive and overall it just kind of drags on with no payoff by the end. It’s one I always skip on a Spotify shuffle of Kate’s singles.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  3. aux

aux

Running Up That Hill coming for that #1 spot xx

4. Make that 27 10s - I don't remember my scores so I had to scroll down to check if I had been on crack and given this song (or "sign", apparently) anything less than 10!

P'NutButter likes this.
  5. I kind of wish I'd given @berserkboi -style scores, and given things scores of e.g. 9.7, 9.6 and so on, to help distinguish the 10s from each other.

6. At first I was a little bit gutted that Hounds had gone but when you realise how amazing the other three tracks ahead of it are you can't really be that upset.

7. Both are basically on the same level for me with a .5 difference and they both fall on the good side of average, so the suspense is waned a bit. Glad to see Cloudbusting get as far as it did.

P'NutButter likes this.
  8. it’s pretty obvious RUTH is getting the #1 spot but I like the...suspense of it all

Wuthering Heights is a pretty iconic song as well, imagine your debut single and arguably your biggest hit being something like that?

sfmartin, djmakemewet and aux like this.
  9. Well, as we got closer to this I was hoping Hounds Of Love would make top 3, but I am really happy my wish was granted and it made top 5. I can't be mad at the three songs that beat it.
    Listening to it again, yes that is what I meant. I clearly confused myself thinking it was a guitar.

10. I do hope so, as much as I love Wuthering Heights, this just feels so much more right as the winner somehow.

Phonetics Boy likes this.
  11. 2014

2014 Moderator

Sorry for butting in here but Wuthering Heights beating Cloudbusting, Hounds Of Love and This Woman's Work is so wrong xx

12. All the Wuthering Heights slander I’ve seen across this rate... unacceptable.

13. Members actually giving the likes of Hounds of Love and Cloudbusting scores of 5? Yikes.

14. Cloudbusting is a stunner rivalled only by Running Up That Hill so a 10 is a minimum for it! (Though if you mean other tracks that fell before, carry on :-) )

15. Ready folks...

So, after 4 months (a year of planning for me) we now reach the final moments of this rate... obviously the extra tracks are coming after but we'll ignore that for a minute... so will Cathy's ghost rein supreme, or will Kate carry on longing to get up that bloody hill with no problems...

@Itty Bitty Piggy - 11 There are so many incredible pieces of music in Kate Bush’s discography. So so many wonderful songs that have captured my heart and soul across all of her albums. So much consistent greatness. She’s tackled so many different styles of production, vocal delivery, song structure, subject matter, evolving so organically and effortlessly, always maintaining an inimitable factor that makes each song and album impossibly “her” across decades of her career. She’s as much of genius now as she was at the age of 17, and that genius has never faltered or withered (personal preferences aside), which is nothing short of remarkable and awe-inspiring.

And yet… I’m still completely enamoured with her very first single and most famous song. It’s such a predictable choice, in a way, but there’s a reason that this masterpiece has stood the test of time and will always be remembered as one of the most important pop records in history.

I remember hearing this for the first time. I came across the video on TOTP2 or something (I must have been around 10) and she…. Terrified me. Ever since a very young age I had a bit of an unhealthy obsession with (and fear of) witches. With her ghostly movements, wild hair and elf-like features, I immediately viewed her as a witch and the image stuck with me and haunted me for years. And then there was the song itself. The uncanny range she possessed, the vocal acrobatics she could perform, the piercing screeches down to the guttural moans, like performing incantations, the lyrics about haunting the countryside in the pursuit of someone’s soul! It was unlike anything I had ever heard or seen before. I was already learning the piano, therefore interested in classical music as much as pop, but I would hold her somewhat responsible for spurring my interest in ballet, opera, gothic literature, the list goes on… Experiencing this song for the first time is honestly one of the defining memories of my life. Kate has produced many masterpieces, but this is it. This is ‘The One’. Wuthering Heights is pure fantasy and amongst the most powerful pieces of music ever written.

@Remorque - 10 It's true testament to the fucking talent in the woman's songwriting that she could make a book like Wuthering Heights into a classic pop song. Certainly one that's stood the test of time. She looks mesmerizing in the video and although the original's never been paralleled, the new vocal edit off the The Whole Story compilation gets the edge for me personally as she goes fucking ham! on the ad-libs there and I love that part...
    @ohnoitisnathan - 10 That voice! That song! That dancing! That dress! Well, I'm more familiar with the red-dress version of the video, as that's the one that usually gets aired 'down under'. Quite a bold song to be your first release.
    @Seventeen Days - 10 When I was younger, my mom used to listen to a Pat Benatar album that had a cover of “Wuthering Heights” on it. It wasn’t until I was in my teens that I found out it was a cover, and I decided I had to hear the original. That was my intro to Kate Bush, and what a way to discover her. This song is a staple of Kate’s catalogue for good reason - the vocals are iconic, and that twinkling piano intro is just lovely.
    @DominoDancing - 10 A song for the ages. Also the first Kate Bush song I ever heard, ironically because it was on a list of favourite songs by one of the guys in Keane. I expanded my knowledge of her work rapidly thereafter. Was a potential 11 of course.
    @Music Is Life - 10 I love this. What an excellent debut single. The guitar, especially when it becomes more prominent in the end, is everything.
    @31entrance - 10 - the best debut single of all time, the guitar solo at the end is amazing also
    @Jóga - 10 It took me ages to get this song. It’s become such a classic it’s impossible not to love the drama and the desperation at the end. The fact that this was her first single (and first female written and sung #1) at 19 helped me really respect the song as well.

@aux - 10 Legendary. Easily one of the best debut singles of all time.
    @OspreyQueen - 10 Just…an unequivocal classic. You don’t even need to have read the book to feel the full force of this song’s emotions because Kate’s such a masterful worldbuilder in her own right (which is especially impressive for just a 4 minute song!). The way it builds and builds up to that devastating middle 8 is absolutely breathtaking.
    @The Hot Rock - 10 Feel like it's a basic choice to give a 10 but this was the first track (working sequentially) so far that felt like an Absolute Classic if it makes any sense.
    @sfmartin - 10 The one that started it all. It was inevitable really, a masterpiece from beginning to end. All the melodies are superb, swirling around each other. Delightful hook after hook. I was one of many kids twirling and cartwheeling around the living room trying to recreate the video. In fact whenever I hear it, I have to spin! I could listen to the outro all day. This song is so comforting.
    @Untitled - 9.5 Minus half a point for the squeaky vocals drilling into my brain.
    @lob0to - 9 I was 8 when this came out. Much hilarity ensued in the school playground with impersonations. I couldn't take her seriously at this point and never imagined I'd become a fan.
    @djmakemewet - 8 In contrast to my earlier comments about the choruses on this album, I've always been struck by an interview I read where Kate stated that she intended to write a more developed chorus, but the song just felt like the chorus should loop. For somebody with a reputation for more avant garde writing, this shows Kate also has a great pop sensibility.
    @abael - 6.5 Undertaking a rate of this caliber over name recognition and hearing a song a couple of times before that you would rate 6.5... choices.

16. @Jam - 11 perhaps the obvious choice, but it is so for a reason. Pure brilliance.

@aux - 11 I genuinely don’t know a better song.

@31entrance - 11 Where do I begin with this song? is it the fact it’s one of the first Kate songs I’ve heard? or is it the song that made me fall head over heels with her amazing music? truly never gets old no matter how much I listen to it, the rush of euphoria when I hear it is like no other, truly a timeless classic.

@sfmartin - 11 I went back and forth over an 11, there were so many choices, but this had to be it. One of my favourite songs of all time. The production, vocals, lyrics, video all flawless. It should have been a number one. I love the way it keeps building throughout the song and new hooks are added one after the other, the bridge is especially powerful. That moment with the building of the affected low vocals and then the clattering of drums. Phew a moment. Add to that the general unraveling of the song as it progresses its just perfect.

@ohnoitisnathan - 10 I figure this will be a contender to win. Good as it is, I feel it has kind of been overplayed now and lost some of its impact as a result.
    @Seventeen Days - 10 I mean, come on. This song is absolutely perfect, how could you not love it? That galloping snare drum combined with the synths in the intro alone decimate my wig, not to mention Kate’s lyrics about a man and a woman “swapping places” to see how the other one lives. This is one of my all-time favorite album openers.
    @The Hot Rock - 10 An absolute triumph. If it wasn't for my actual 11 surprising me when I went through the full discog it would've probably been this or Under the Ivy.
    @Music Is Life - 10 I love this, it feels very 80s. It's a great opener, love her vocals, and the production had me bopping my head a bit.
    @Untitled - 10 If I could listen to only one song for the rest of my life, that would be it. It simply has all I could ask for from a pop song. Every moment is a Moment and there's no way to get bored. If I was trying to describe every single thing I love about it, I would simply fail, because I do not have the vernacular required to speak of utter perfection. Good NIGHT.
    @Jóga - 10 Enough said, probably.

@DominoDancing - 10 Legendary. Instantly recognizable, totally unique sound, great chorus. What's not to love. Could have been my 11.
    @djmakemewet - 10 This is one of those songs that just occasionally hits me with its brilliance. Not because it's difficult to see, but because the song is so much a part of my life that it sometimes needs new ears to appreciate it all over again. In the same way that Sat in Your Lap instantly set The Dreaming apart from its predecessors, so too do the sublime synths and steady, rocking drums of Running Up That Hill. It amazes me that rather than give in to record label suggestions that Kate allow someone else to produce The Dreaming's follow up, she instead built her own studio to further free herself from her record company and this was the first song she wrote and demoed there, as if her liberation allowed her to tap back into her pop instincts.
    @OspreyQueen - 9 I feel frankly sacrilegious for saying this but, while this is of course a magnificent song and a classic in every sense of the word, I think I prefer Meg Myers’s cover from earlier this year. I’d totally recommend checking that version out, it absolutely does justice to the original. #promo

17. I can’t believe I was the only 11!!!!!!

18. No major surprises, but a very worthy winner!

Thanks @P'NutButter for all your hard work on this rate, including the fantastic graphics - so far as first rates go, this has been a pleasure to be part of!

19. I know it’s not totally finished yet...

But @P’NutButter you’ve done a fucking fantastic job.

And I think @abael has committed enough of a crime towards taste to be banned!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.