This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!) | Page 90 | The Popjustice Forum

This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by P'NutButter, Mar 4, 2019.

?

Favourite Kate Bush album?

1. The Kick Inside

3 vote(s)
    2.8%
  2. Lionheart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Never For Ever

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  4. The Dreaming

22 vote(s)
    20.8%
  5. Hounds Of Love

57 vote(s)
    53.8%
  6. The Sensual World

8 vote(s)
    7.5%
  7. The Red Shoes

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  8. Aerial

5 vote(s)
    4.7%
  9. Director's Cut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 50 Words For Snow

3 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. Now that the rate's finished I'm listening to the playlist I made placing the songs in order from lowest to highest. That Prelude-Night Scented Stock-Aerial Tal section is lit, girlies!

FondDecisiveHomalocephale-max-1mb.gif

2. From a non*-voter, thanks to @P'NutButter for being an amazing host. Can't imagine all the hours you must have put in. A real labour of love - which artist could possibly deserve the honour more?

* - Time got away from me. I would, however, have marked the first and last two albums lower than this thread's Greek chorus would perhaps have appreciated, so probably for the best.

3. Thanks again you lot for the nice comments. I absolutely loved hosting this one and it was a long time coming as it was so huge, it took a lot of hard work but it was worth it! I'll throw a few of the extras out over the next couple of days just to round things off.

Here is a graphic for the 11's -

[​IMG]

4. Well, that was a predictable outcome.

You don't know how much I envy you and all the others here who had the chance to witness this. Sadly, there was a technical mishap during my checkout process so I lost the ticket I already had in my cart.

Amen to all of the above. The fact that Kate not only wrote the music and lyrics to this song, but was also responsible for the production of the record and its accompanying video is testament to her genius. The videos for this and 'Experiment IV' are brilliant short films which are unique in the world of music videos. 'Cloudbusting' is a magical work of art and its bittersweetness never fails to pull on my heartstrings.

I totally agree with these comments. I would have vastly preferred it if this had won the rate instead of you know what. However, I would have picked the 1986 version as it's the rare case where the remake surpasses the original due to the more refined vocals (see also the new vocal version of The Cure's 'Boys Don't Cry' from the same year).

I suspect that these are the main reasons that 'Running Up That Hill' ended up winning this rate. I'm sorry to spoil the party, but in my world, this doesn't rank higher than #57 at the most even though I gave it eight points. But there are so many more exciting and rewarding songs among her work that (in addition to my eleven) I gave out 21 nines and 34 tens. Though it is overplayed, I have no problems giving the likes of 'Wuthering Heights' and 'Babooshka' a 10 so it must be the song itself. While I really enjoy the synth riff and the verses with Kate's great backing vocals, the chorus is really a bit pedestrian and too repetitive, really outstaying its welcome at the end. Also, Kate shouldn't have given in to record company pressure and changed the main title from the mysterious and evocative 'A Deal With God' to the banal 'Running Up That Hill'. It's not even that the hill is the main focus of the lyrics what with several other places she keeps running up in the chorus. The repetitive middle eight is also nothing to write home about with "Come on, come on, baby" being the lyrical lowpoint of the song. Finally, the video is overrated as well. It exposed new viewers to some of her dance routines, but the whole duplicate mask sheenanigans look a bit silly, really. This is the song that kept my album average from being a flawless 10.
    I love the intro as well as the subject matter, but it wouldn't have hurt if she had actually sung "swap our places" instead of the irritating "swap our traces" (which she only fixed in the 2012 version).

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    Music Is Life, JonBcn and P'NutButter like this.
  5. The Director's Cut version of 'Moments of Pleasure' received an 11, but the original Red Shoes version didn't. O.....K....

Querelle Mix likes this.
  6. And Nik Kershaw did it first:

See 5:12 and 5:36.

Querelle Mix and slurmjunkie like this.
  7. So, here's a few extras for today...

[​IMG]

The Confrontation 4.77

Highest Score: 10 x 1 @Ana Raquel
    Lowest Score: 1 x 3 @Jam, @slurmjunkie, @CasuallyCrazed

@DominoDancing - 6.5 Nice instrumental that could probably have turned into a good song. Bit boring on its own.
    @OspreyQueen - 6 It would have been nice to see this developed into a full song, because I do really like that thundering beat. But as it stands, this track is a bit of a racket.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 3 Not sure what is 'confronting' about this. Again, it's difficult to rate an instrumental.
    @Jóga - 2 Okay?... scary

[​IMG]

Tawny Moon (Live) 5.41

Highest Score: 8.5 x 1 @aux
    Lowest Score: 0 x 1 @ohnoitisnathan

@DominoDancing - 8 Again, I am not one to hate on Bertie at all. I like this quite well, it's more memorable than some other stuff on Aerial.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 0 Is this Bertie singing? Oh god. I hadn't actually listened until this until now. I don't like when artists feature their sprog on their recordings, live or otherwise.

[​IMG]

Magician 5.75

Highest Score: 9.5 x 1 @Music Is Life
    Lowest Score: 0.5 x 1 @CasuallyCrazed

@ohnoitisnathan - 8 Pity there's not a better sound quality copy of this one circulating.
    @DominoDancing - 7.5 Quite fun actually. Early-Kate's vocals just kinda work with a silly track like this.
    @Jam - 7 Hearing this one for the first time.
    @abael - 7 Good, circus theme fits her.
    @OspreyQueen - 2 I despise circus-y music, and I really don’t care that this has never been officially released.
    @Jóga - 2 Thank Kate it’s short.

8. aux

aux

Shocking.

P'NutButter likes this.
  9. Sometimes it works tho

10/10

10. Thanks once again for yet another amazing rate @P'NutButter! Your hard work and passion for music, always shines through in every rate you host, and this had been no exception. A joy to take part in, especially discovering more wonders of Kate Bush! What a winner in Running Up That Hill and what a rate!!

11. My least favourite song in the rate is finally out!

P'NutButter likes this.
  12. Huge kudos to @P'NutButter for the amazing work in this rate. The artwork continually leaves me incredulous. I don't know how you do it....

A fine winner (I think I'd prefer Running Up That Hill to Wuthering Heights as well, so that's good).

13. Well, hey, at least the extras are leaving in the right order!

14. I think somehow in the end, the top 2 just had to be what we ended up with. Easily her two most defining singles.

15. Yeah, I'm actually totally fine with the top 2. In fact, I think the whole top 10 was great. I would have liked a few more surprises in there, but I can't complain when I had so many 10s and 9.5s represented.

16. This is absolutely correct. Both are 10s to me, but the newer version just amplifies the central theme of loss by sacrificing the best-known lines of the song. It's genius.

abael, Aester and P'NutButter like this.
  17. I'll do three more now and finish this whole thing off tomorrow...

[​IMG]

One Last Look Around The House Before We Go 6.06

Highest Score: 9 x 1 @Music Is Life
    Lowest Score: 1 x 1 @CasuallyCrazed

@DominoDancing - 8 This really is quite beautiful, I wish it would have been turned into a full song.
    @OspreyQueen - 8 There’s so much beauty packed into this tiny vignette. It’s like a little nugget of gold in Kate’s discography.
    @Jóga - 8 Beautiful, as usual.
    @abael - 8 A really pretty instrumental piece.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 4 Nice enough, but I'd never think, 'Yeah, I really want to listen to that.'

[​IMG]

Another Day (Live) 6.25

Highest Score: 10 x 1 @Ed72
    Lowest Score: 3 x 1 @Jóga

@DominoDancing - 7 Pretty, but not very memorable. Would love to give this a 10 just because Peter Gabriel is trade, but I just can't.
    @OspreyQueen - 7 This is a lovely cover, even if Peter sounds like a bad ASMR Youtuber.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 6 Oh, I had almost forgotten about this. Kate's voice is a bit too shrill for me here when compared to how good it sounds on 'Don't Give Up'.
    @Jóga - 3 I strongly dislike Peter Gabriel. I can’t stand his voice.

[​IMG]

Dreamtime 6.56

Highest Score: 10 x 2 @Music Is Life, @Jóga
    Lowest Score: 1 x 1 @abael

@sfmartin - 8 Anything else related to this song is a gift. Allows me to appreciate the great instrumental.
    @DominoDancing - 7 A bit pointless. It's not even completely instrumental.
    @OspreyQueen - 6 I’d appreciate this much more if ALL the vocals were removed. It’s a fantastic instrumental and I’d love to hear it on its own, but as it stands this version is kind of useless.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 6 It is difficult to rate an instrumental when you know the version with vocals. I like the music, but prefer it with Kate singing on top of it.
    @abael - 1 When I saw instrumental I thought that would mean without Kate's voice. Unfortunately I was wrong. An even more painful version of The Dreaming which I had already given a 2 so this must be a 1.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  18. Ray

Ray

Thanks for the rate, @P'NutButter. I didn't quite manage to vote (the file is still on my desktop, 2/3 ready...) but my 11 would have been 'Running Up That Hill'. No complaints here!

19. No. It never works.

20. Thanks for explaining it for me, I felt dumb doing so, especially considering where the original ended up ranking. This was my reasoning behind it, couldn't find the right words to explain it though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.