This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS #33-32!) | Page 49 | The Popjustice Forum

This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS #33-32!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by P'NutButter, Mar 4, 2019.

?

Favourite Kate Bush album?

1. The Kick Inside

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  2. Lionheart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Never For Ever

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  4. The Dreaming

22 vote(s)
    22.7%
  5. Hounds Of Love

50 vote(s)
    51.5%
  6. The Sensual World

8 vote(s)
    8.2%
  7. The Red Shoes

4 vote(s)
    4.1%
  8. Aerial

5 vote(s)
    5.2%
  9. Director's Cut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 50 Words For Snow

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  1. IDK why, but I find it hilarious every time Kate mentions the Victorian visage of the dead girl, like of course that would be the case. Like the subject of Lake Tahoe, this track was dead long ago. Took way too long to end in this rate just as it did in person.

2. Does any long term Kate fan, ever listen to 5 Words For Snow that often? Or is it very much just for Winter and nothing else?

3. Maybe it's a song for dog people only. I gave it a 9. I really love my dog. (@JonBcn, that line about the dream always gets me too.)

slurmjunkie and P'NutButter like this.
  4. I just discovered the interesting blog "Dreams Of Orgonon" by Christine Kelley, which includes essays on each song (currently up to 1979 including the early demos). The author is making a case of Kate inventing folk punk with 'Violin' that also answers your question:
    "This is a couple years before The Pogues come along. And the song has the inclusion of folkloric banshees in “give me the banshees for B.V.’s,” one of Kate’s wildest lyrics (yes, she was laying down the demo in Kent while Siouxsie and the Banshees were forming in Bromley. [...])."
    https://katebushsongs.wordpress.com/2018/09/26/violin/

5. More of a cat person here but it gets me too. I'd imagine it could be relatable to anyone who's witnessed a pet, or a loved one, age or become infirm. Sad to see this go so early.

6. Just read a couple of the posts on here and I already know that this is how I'll be spending my entire weekend - thanks for the recommendation!

7. Now, the second of the newer tracks...

[​IMG]

Humming 7.09

Highest Score: 10 x 2 @Music Is Life, @ohnoitisnathan
    Lowest Score: 3 x 1 @sfmartin

@ohnoitisnathan - 10 My like for this no doubt partly because it's something 'new', but I think it's great.
    @JonBcn - 9 It was amazing to finally get this on the reissues last year (even if a bit weird that it was the only unheard thing we got - and it didn’t disappoint, easily standing up against the material from her first two albums. Imagine how much material of this quality she might have sitting around collecting dust…
    @lob0to - 8 Cute
    @djmakemewet - 8 This feels a little inconsequential, but it's a nice outtake from The Kick Inside. Funnily enough, this makes me think of The Kick Inside cover with the jeans and thick socks – the country feel sets it apart from other tracks on the album so I can see why it was left over.
    @DominoDancing - 7.5 Bouncy and upbeat, but nothing earth-shattering. The beginning totally sounds like Tiny Dancer with a bit of guitar.
    @31entrance - 6.5 Reminds me of her earlier stuff.

8. I still can't believe how young Kate was when she first started writing and recording. Really was a genius from such an early age.

9. You're welcome. I'm tempted to do the same.

Your cover is the best thing by far about this track.

On the subject of 'Kashka From Baghdad':
    Good comments. For me it's also the chorus itself that lessens the song. I gave it a 7.

This leaving so early is a disgrace. It's one of the album's highlights (I gave it a 9) and I agree with everything written above. Of course (given my username), I loved the shout-out to Futurama. The "Snowflake" vocal is also one of my favourite parts: it has a strong goosebump-inducing The Ninth Wave feel.
    It seems this beautiful and sophisticated song is too long to be appreciated by people with ADHD tendencies:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  10. They pretend to.

ohnoitisnathan likes this.
  11. I spin Misty all year round.

The rest maybe not so much.

P'NutButter and sfmartin like this.
  12. Lake Tahoe deserved better than this!

13. Lake Tahoe has gone far far too soon. Everyone complaining of the length of her newer tracks just needs to stop have a moment and just allow your self to get lost. Delve into the story and the atmosphere of the song. Kate is THE best storyteller in musical history so afford her that luxury.

14. Today's two will be out of sync because I'm off to see the Spice Girls later, so you may get the second result in the early hours or (more likely) tomorrow morning?

Here is the first though...

[​IMG]

Feel It 7.1

Highest Score: 9 x 3 @Ed72, @31entrance, @Itty Bitty Piggy
    Lowest Score: 4 x 1 @Jam

@Music Is Life - 8.5 This is a nice enough ballad, it just didn't interest me that much.
    @djmakemewet - 8 I love how commanding Kate can be when it's just her and the piano. When I first listened to The Kick Inside at the age of nine or ten, I didn't know what she was singing about on most songs, but I knew what this was about!
    @OspreyQueen - 8 The hidden gem of this album. Simple, captivating and beautiful.
    @sfmartin - 8 A wonderful vulnerability to her vocal.
    @DominoDancing - 6.5 Bit boring.
    @Seventeen Days - 6.5 I’m not super feeling it (oop) on this one, but it’s still a pretty song. Honestly, Kate could sing the phone book and I would probably sit and listen for hours.
    @Jóga - 6 Pleasant enough. I like the ending verses (see what your doing to me...). But the vocals when she goes high... I just don’t like it!
    @Remorque - 6 This is an enjoyable song about foreplay and the lust and attraction between two people that comes before, but Kate's voice is a bit much here and I'm not a big fan of the production.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 5 If Kate was an undiscovered singing pianist in a boozy bar, I imagine she'd sound something like this.

Karvel, Cutlery, berserkboi and 13 others like this.
  15. Feel It is the spiritual predecessor to The Sensual World.

WhatKindOfKylie? and sfmartin like this.
  16. okay this kinda hurt...I like Feel It but I kinda understand that it's divisive so...

17. Ouch, Feel It deserved to go the distance over most of it's trackmates, but this is definitely a win some lose some kind of rate.

slurmjunkie likes this.
  18. It really is actually. Good point made!

19. I hear what you mean. Unlike 'Tiny Dancer', it lacks a memorable chorus. It deserves 7 points, which is more than enough to replace 'Room For The Life' on my improved tracklisting for The Kick Inside.

Losing 'Feel It' hurts more, though. The verses are not my cup of tea, but the sublime chorus makes up for that, so I couldn't give it less than 8 points. How can this leave already when 'Strange Phenomena' is still in? Not to mention all the bad songs left from The Red Shoes.

DominoDancing likes this.
  20. Humming is terrible so I'm glad to see the back of it.

Feel It is brilliant, however. I love how confident she was writing about sex and sensuality at such a young age, all while making it sound so mature? Talent etc.

aux and WhatKindOfKylie? like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.