Timbaland Production Discography Rate - FINAL REVEALS [WINNER + RUNNER-UP] | Page 11 | The Popjustice Forum

Timbaland Production Discography Rate - FINAL REVEALS [WINNER + RUNNER-UP]

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by KingBruno, Aug 12, 2017.

1. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Wouldn't have said its the worse here but it's near enough I guess.

K94 and slaybellz like this.
  2. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Erm, this is definitely not the video I remember being played at the time, so I'd go with no.

The official video is this one:

This is from the soundtrack to Austin Powers 2 and frankly I prefer it to the other single from that album, which was "Beautiful Stranger" by Madonna.

Also, this is the only single Melanie released under the name Melanie G, because it was the only single released during her marriage to Jimmy Gulzar.

3. 2014

2014 Staff Member

oh my God no.

LE0Night, K94, Zdarlight and 5 others like this.
  4. I wish I could unsee this.

5. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Basically I loved all the singles from Ray Of Light and then all the music channels started hammering Beautiful Stranger, which is nowhere near as good. I just don't like the song, and it paled in comparison to what came immediately before it.

Word Up, on the other hand, was relatively underplayed and it grew on me over time - and it was pretty consistent with Melanie's previous single, I Want You Back.

Here's another unpopular pop opinion: I don't like Die Another Day (and I'm not particularly fond of her version of American Pie). Maybe it's just something about Madonna and her later soundtrack singles that doesn't work for me.

6. "Melanie G" doesn't quite have the same ring to it does it? Popstars changing their stage names after they get married is actually one of my pet peeves.

berserkboi and londonrain like this.
  7. Literally the worst song in the rate first, cannot complain.

Also the Little Mix version is meh.

It's probably just because I was a fan of Korn's first so everything else after isn't going to measure up.

8. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Inconsistent branding is one of my pet peeves.

Name #1 (with a superscript B):
    [​IMG]

Name #2 (notice the G isn't superscript):
    [​IMG]

Back to name #1, but with a different logo:
    [​IMG]

Name #3 (because "Melanie B" wasn't distinctive enough):
    [​IMG]

Name #4 (with the worst font so far):
    [​IMG]

Seriously, Mel, pick a name.

9. Well that's certainly an opinion you've got there.

10. I always remember 'Beautiful Stranger' alongside 'Don't Tell Me' as her this-is-pretty-decent-but-did-we-have-to-do-guitars phase. Don't get so excited, guys.

'Word Up' is a laugh, but it's more entertaining than some of the other options at this point!

DJHazey and londonrain like this.
  11. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Don't Tell Me had the hot male dancers, though.

[​IMG]

12. But "Beautiful Stranger" had that epic tank top roll, though. So epic one of the people here often praise it. I can't remember who.

13. 2014

2014 Staff Member

I love the Vengaboys!

tylerc, berserkboi, K94 and 3 others like this.
  14. I actually love the Vengaboys.

Sprockrooster, DJHazey, 2014 and 2 others like this.

[​IMG]

Ginuwine - When Doves Cry
    Score: 4,730645161

Highest score: 9,5 x 1 (@Aester)
    Lowest score: 0 x 2 (@GhettoPrincess, @Heaven on Earth)
    My score: 5/10

And with that, the next cover has fallen. It's a bit of a weak subtraction of the original, isn't it? Okay, it's a pretty 'amusing' idea to add actual dove sound effects to the production – which go pretty well with the jungle music-inspired instrumentation. But I wouldn't call it spectacular, at all.

The cover from the original track by Prince was released in 1996 and did pretty well on the charts, especially in New Zealand where it peaked at 7.

londonrain (2) states: "I'm not that much of a fan of the original, and this version seems to drag for some reason." This version is much worse indeed. berserkboi (3) points out that it's "Hard not to compare to the original hey? Not a terrible effort and very good production but leaves me cold…" Yes, maybe he should've picked a less iconic song to cover.

ohnostalgia (3) complains about some choices Timbo made: "I don't understand taking out the iconic guitar line and making it acapella. That's some Pentatonix bullshit." Why did you have to remind me of Pentatonix? iheartpoptarts (4) says something incomprehensible: "This is a very minimalist kind of beat that reminds me of when you’re failing at Parappa the Rapper and you lose most of your backing instrumentation. Nobody will get this reference, but if you do, I’ll stan."

[​IMG]

sendphoto (9) actually likes it: "Love this one. Prince who teebs." AshleyKerwin (5) isn't sure: "The original video was blocked in my country, but perhaps it was better than what I listened to (the first Youtube search result)." There were many people who gave a lower score than you! haps (3) is "Not so much into Prince covers." Me neither, but the live cover of "Let's Go Crazy" by Bruno Mars at the Grammy's was very amazing!

GhettoPrincess (0) finds it "Not a good cover." It's no "Freak Like Me", unfortunately. Sprockrooster (1) is generous: "An absolute trainwreck for a song. But let me give it one point cause Prince made 'Musicology' as a reaction to this and I stan that song." Serg. (2) isn't here for a cover: "I prefer Prince, by quite a margin."

Heaven on Earth (0) asks a live question: "Wow, this is just sad in its shittiness. @KingBruno, you only included this ‘cause something needed to be the scapegoat, didn’t it?" Nah.

The music video was directed by the one and only Michael Lucero! I don't know him!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  16. Perfectly fine with this one leaving.

17. Byyye, Mel B.
    [​IMG]

ufint likes this.
  18. I love the original "When Doves Cry" so much that I'm a sucker for any cover of it. I also think there are a lot of interesting production touches in this version.

Oh, well!

19. I didn't expect the two covers to be out first but it makes sense. Now can some of my 0s leave please.

londonrain likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.