Timbaland Production Discography Rate - FINAL REVEALS [WINNER + RUNNER-UP] | Page 14 | The Popjustice Forum

Timbaland Production Discography Rate - FINAL REVEALS [WINNER + RUNNER-UP]

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by KingBruno, Aug 12, 2017.

1. I agreed with this until I saw "The Way I Are".

2. I've also remembered that Icebox by Omarion isn't here either...

SADFACE

3. Oh, what's the story there? I just looked it up but only found a couple of rumours about Danja, which have apparently been cleared up. I'm curious!

Do It could definitely be better but it's great fun nonetheless. I love the playful video game synths scattered throughout, always going to catch my attention.

4. I'm actually rooting for this one to go out soon. Awkward. I gave that a 4.

I gave both of those a 2.

5. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

I like Do It, but Pass That Dutch and One In A Million are classics in their field so I'd hate to see them leave any time soon.

Well, that's most of the list, so I can live with that. The Way I Are is incomprehensible but I have a lot of time for Keri Hilson, so I just ignore the lyrics.

slaybellz likes this.
  6. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

You realise the point of this exercise was to post your own list of what you're backing to stay, right?

[​IMG]
    Is he about to eat that microphone?

Justin Timberlake - Until the End of Time ft. Beyoncé
    Score: 5,512903226

Highest score: 7,5 x 6 (@Terminus, @berserkboi, @slaybellz, @Number, @K94, @Petty Mayonnaise)
    Lowest score: 2 x 1 (@Serg.)
    My score: 6,5/10

FutureSex/LoveSounds is an outstanding album, and no one can tell me it's not. But even though this feels like a dream collab, it's by far my least favourite song on it. Overall it's very ... simple. It really falls flat on a record that's full of innovative tunes. Even Justin's falsetto can't save it!

Officialy, "Until the End of Time" appeared on the tracklist of FutureSex/LoveSounds without Beyoncé. It got re-recorded as a duet which got released as a single on November 13, 2007 and received inclusion on the Deluxe Edition of the album. The song caught a lot of interest due to the fact that it's a duet between two former members of previous popular groups; NSYNC and Destiny's Child. It hit the top 20 on the Billboard Hot 100, becoming the sixth single of the album to do so, which made Timberlake the only artist of that decade to accomplish this.

Most of you commenters found it underwhelming just like me. Sprockrooster (6) sort of complimented it, though: "It really is tragic the best Beyoncé in this rate is a feature on a Justin Timberlake track." That's... certainly an opinion! Serg. (2) feels bad for someone: "Beyoncé sweetie, I'm so sorry you had to be included in this mess."

ohnostalgia (6) lost faith in the potentiality: "It pains me to give Bey an average score, but she can't save this." Heaven on Earth (5) actually puts the blame on the queen and says that "The solo version of the song is actually a ten from me. The addition of Beyoncé knocked it down that many points. To say I disliked Beyoncé’s part on this song is an understatement. And I love Queen Bey!" I'm tempted to post that Flavor of Love clip with Tiffany Pollard raging now.

iheartpoptarts (5) is wondering: "Can you save a really boring song from rate floppage by putting Beyoncé in it? Let’s find out." The answer is no! send photo (5) is complaining about the lack of Beyoncé and asks "Is there a Bey solo?" Unfortunately not. Epic Chocolat (5) talks about Prince: "In the song I like Prince but I expected more from these two." Aha.

We close with londonrain (3,5) who posts my thoughts exactly: "This combination should be amazing and it... really isn't. That's what you get when you tack Bey onto one of the duller JT tracks, I guess."

The single got no video, but it's not like we expected an epic choreography done by these two for this song. Justin did perform it many times – most recognizably as a piano solo. Here's a live performance from The 20/20 Experience World Tour.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  8. Okay, so here's the songs I'd like to stay longest:

Aaliyah - Are You That Somebody?
    Ashlee Simpson - Outta My Head (Ay Ya Ya)
    Beyoncé - Partition
    Brandy - Afrodisiac
    Jay-Z - Big Pimpin' ft. UGK
    Justin Timberlake - Mirrors
    Justin Timberlake - SexyBack ft. Timbaland
    Justin Timberlake - What Goes Around.../...Comes Around
    Madonna - Miles Away
    Missy Elliott - Work It
    Nelly Furtado - All Good Things (Come To An End)
    Nelly Furtado - Do It
    Nelly Furtado - Say It Right
    Rihanna - Rehab
    Timbaland - Apologize ft. OneRepublic
    Timbaland - Give It To Me ft. Nelly Furtado & Justin Timberlake
    Timbaland - Scream ft. Keri Hilson & Nicole Scherzinger

Other songs I won't mind going far either, but these are the favorites.

Sprockrooster and londonrain like this.
  9. upload_2017-9-20_11-16-17.jpeg

10. Well, I did make sure to give it a shout-out and an honorary 10!

I won't! Our poor little pop princess will get no justice with this crowd and I'll just be here shaking my head...

DJHazey likes this.
  11. Kii. I did not think I would be one of the highest scorers for this. I'm not that bothered about this leaving. Although there's a lot worst still left.

12. Hehe, you're right. Apparently I wasn't even supposed to vote!

iheartpoptarts likes this.
  13. Uh, yeah. I just used this time to prevent me from being mass murdered in the future. I like to rip the bandage right away.

The songs that I'm rooting to stay:
    Aaliyah - Are You That Somebody?
    Aaliyah - If Your Girl Only Knew
    Aaliyah - More Than a Woman
    Aaliyah - Try Again
    Aaliyah - We Need a Resolution
    Björk - Earth Intruders
    Jay-Z - Big Pimpin'
    Justin Timberlake - Cry Me a River
    Justin Timberlake - LoveStoned/I Think She Knows
    Justin Timberlake - My Love
    Justin Timberlake - What Goes Around.../...Comes Back Around
    Missy Elliott - Get Ur Freak On
    Missy Elliott - Pass That Dutch
    Missy Elliott - The Rain (Supa Dupa Fly)
    Missy Elliott - Work It
    Nelly Furtado - Maneater
    Nelly Furtado - Promiscuous
    Nelly Furtado - Say It Right
    Tweet - Oops (Oh My)

DJHazey and slaybellz like this.
  14. I'm sure no one really means that! Most of this was very much the mainstream music of its time, it's not like you've got to have super niche taste to be here or anything!

londonrain and DJHazey like this.
  15. I appreciate the sentiment, but I think you know and I know this isn't true, ddd.

Anyhow, I agree. This is much more of a nostalgia rate and how well did songs hold up over time than it is about being a niche rate.

iheartpoptarts likes this.
  16. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

These are both very good lists. Excellent work.

DJHazey likes this.
  17. It seemed that after his (kind-of) fallout with Missy in the early 2000s (largely based on her pushing him to be more creative so that they were continuously breaking boundaries and him finding these demands stressful - a story they both generally agree on), he formed a group of songwriters and producers who collaborated with him on everything from the Justin/Nelly year onwards... the whispers were that, while everything was credited to "X + Timbaland", his was a vanity credit and that he just put his name to the tracks to guarantee that fanboys like me would seek them out regardless...

Whether it was malicious gossip or not (personally, I think that there was a definite decrease in quality control from Shock Value onwards), you could also argue that any songwriter starts to lose steam as their career develops - see Pharrell or any other pop mastermind, really.

Also, Max Martin is quite open about his collaborative approach and nobody seems to write exposes about him, so there was definitely an element of "let's attack this successful black man for not being Bob Dylan" which is still a concerning trope in music criticism even now. Maybe tied into a need for hip hop (and those writing/performing it) to be "authentic" or something...

It was also around 2006-7 that the lawsuits started appearing regarding plagiarism (Crystal Castles on Ayo Technology and a Middle Eastern musician on Do It)... Tim didn't do himself any favours by claiming ignorance. Either he was being disingenuous or he genuinely didn't know and thus didn't particularly contribute to those tracks...

18. If it helps, for all our differences in taste, I appreciate you voting in this. Even if that meant you coming for "Pass That Dutch" and "Rocket," which both do not deserve.

In fact, I was kinder to Ashlee's "Outta My Head (Ya Ya Ya)" than I normally would've been because I knew you liked that song. Not by much, but I tried to be positive in my commentary... while shading her and Jessica at the same time.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    DJHazey and iheartpoptarts like this.
  19. Guys there's only been 3 eliminations so far. Let's not get in our feelings just yet. It's just banter.

londonrain likes this.
  20. BUT I HAVE A LOT OF FEELINGS WHEN IT COMES TO TIMBALAND!!!!

Jokes aside, I don't believe for a second that anyone begrudges @DJHazey for adding some variety to the scores.

Obviously, I will reconsider this view the SECOND that anyone scores Mirrors higher than the 1 it deserves...

KingBruno and slaybellz like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.