Timbaland Production Discography Rate - FINAL REVEALS [WINNER + RUNNER-UP] | Page 24 | The Popjustice Forum

Timbaland Production Discography Rate - FINAL REVEALS [WINNER + RUNNER-UP]

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by KingBruno, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Yes another rate discovery for me as well

londonrain likes this.
  2. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Whatever happened to SoShy? I would have been here for an album of Timbo-produced bops from her.

berserkboi and Sprockrooster like this.
  3. Going rather smoothly. Only big loss so far has been Ashlee's Murder. 3 spots left before Ashlee is top 40! I fear it will be a close call. But surprise me positively PJ!

DJHazey likes this.
  4. What is this sorcery?!?!

londonrain likes this.
  5. That's one gone. Now the other please!

ohnostalgia and londonrain like this.
  6. [​IMG]

Mina and londonrain like this.

[​IMG]

Shakira - Give It Up to Me ft. Lil Wayne
    Score: 6,333870968

Highest score: 9,5 x 1 (@berserkboi)
    Lowest score: 3 x 1 (@LE0Night)
    My score: 7,5/10

Words can't describe how much love I have for Shakira. She Wolf is also such a good album, I really should listen to it again sometime. As for "Give It Up to Me", it's not as good as the album's lead single or the by The Neptunes produced "Did It Again", but it certainly isn't bad. It was criminally done wrong in the Shakira discography rate! Timbaland created a beat – one that unites synthpop and hip hop influences – that's totally addictive due to the repeated hand claps and throbbing bass.

It may be insanely catchy, but in the end it's a bit trend-chasing, isn't it?

"Give It Up to Me" was released as the third single from She Wolf on October 19, 2009. It's classified as a synthpop and hip hop song that contains sexually-suggestive lyrics. The song features uncredited vocals by Timbaland. Upon release, it received favourable reviews by music critics. It peaked at number twenty-nine on the US Billboard Hot 100, and it later got certified gold by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA).

tylerc904 (8) mentions the lack of imagination: "Have always loved this basic-ass bop." londonrain doesn't like it at all (5): "One of the weakest Shakira songs. The presence of Lil' Wayne only highlights just how shamelessly trend-chasing this was." And look at where Lil Wayne is now! Still chasing trends.

iheartpoptarts (6) talks about a reggae-dancehall bop: "I was expecting a Shakira version of that Sean Paul song. Which actually might’ve been better…" Heaven on Earth (6) finds it "Meh." I mean I guess but it's still likable.

Serg.
    (8) notes the fantastic hook: "I just can't wrap my head around the fact that this is Shakira song, it's just not her style and I can't believe she agreed on it. Is it bad? No (except the feature) chorus is an earworm." ohnostalgia (6,5) is against the idea: "Let's not and say we didn't."

Let's end with highest scorer berserkboi (9,5): "Very good, half a point lost due to Lil Wayne’s annoying moment here." I actually don't mind his feature here. At least he didn't use as much Auto-Tune as he does these days.

Let's talk about the iconic video! It was released on November 14, 2009, through Vevo. Shakira shows some incredible choreography in it which people nowadays compare to Beyoncé's "Formation" dance routine. I'll let you decide. She gave an exuberant performance of it at the American Music Awards of 2009. On 14 February, 2010, it got included on the setlist at the 2010 NBA All-Star Game halftime-show.

8. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

GOODBYE.

Somewhere @JuanJose is rejoicing that even Timbaland fans don’t like this song.

Island, JuanJose and KingBruno like this.
  9. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Morning After Dark is brilliant but peak Nasal Nelly dddddd. And I love SoShy's massive hit Fancy feat. Charli XCX xxx

[​IMG]

Brandy - Turn It Up
    Score: 6,419354839

Highest score: 9 x 2 (@Heaven on Earth, @Epic Chocolat)
    Lowest score: 4 x 3 (@GhettoPrincess, @Terminus, @Furball)
    My score: 4,5/10

I don't want to come over too much as a hater, but I just want to say: incredibly irritating. I'm sorry, but that repetitive production by Timbaland just sounds really cheap if you ask me. Far from his best work! Okay, I must praise the crazy hook that can be heard constantly throughout.

"Turn It Up" is a by the 90's inspired uptempo R&B song that contains elements of rap, bounce music and old skoop hip hop. It was generally well received by contemporary music critics who highlighted Timbaland's production and its volition. It was leaked before the official release of Afrodisiac in June 2004. It wasn't released commercially, though it did receive some chart positions.

ohnostalgia (7) serves an understandable reaction: "Brandy on the radio, turn it up: no.gif." Epic Chocolat (9) makes a statement: "Love Brandy's shout-out to Aaliyah." I love Aaliyah.

Our last commentary for this song is Heaven on Earth (9): "Yes, turn it up, baby!" I love the oneliners guys!

It has no such thing as a video. Let's listen to Kanye West, who worked on Afrodisiac as well!

11. I never expected to be the highest scorer for this song.

londonrain likes this.
  12. Oh, good. I saw her picture and for a second I was worried it was going to be the other one!

DJHazey and londonrain like this.
  13. It shouldnt have made top 50, but I guess 43 would do. Such a stain in Shakiras discography

londonrain likes this.

[​IMG]

Ashlee Simpson - Outta My Head (Ay Ya Ya)
    Score: 6,491935484

Highest score: 10 x 4 (@Sprockrooster, @GhettoPrincess, @DJHazey, @iheartpoptarts)
    Lowest score: 0 x 2 (@Jwentz, @slaybellz)
    My score: 9/10

Unfortunately for some of you, Ashlee didn't make it into the top 40. I'll be honest, she did deserve it if you ask me. "Outta My Head (Ay Ya Ya) may not be world changing, but it's still an enjoyable, dancey track.

Timbaland's influences on this one are pretty difficult to notice, mostly because it doesn't sound like anything he has done before. But hey, the beat is still very catchy – though Ashlee's grating vocals are kinda in the way of it. Other nice aspects are the by the 80's inspired synth claps and its creepy groove, and ofcourse; the easy chorus.

The song premiered on AOL Music on November 30, 2007 and received a release for digital download on December 11.

Y'all were very positive about this one. Okay, not everyone. Here's Heaven on Earth (1) who thinks that no producer can save Ashlee from being a flop: "Ah, look. It’s the least talented Simpson, and even then, that’s an especially dubious honor. Let’s face it, Jessica is no Kylie and Ashlee is no Dannii. Ashlee’s career pretty much tanked after that SNL performance – deservedly so – and she barely managed to stage a comeback with her sophomore album. By the time the third album came around, Jessica Simpson wasn’t an It girl any longer and Ashlee simply couldn’t ride her sister’s fame to lasting chart success. It’s not hard to see why. “Pieces of Me” was that song that shouldn’t been a hit and this further shows just how weak and bland her voice is. Timbaland’s production is actually quite nice, thus giving “Outta My Head (Ay Ya Ya)” a one, but Ashlee’s mediocrity couldn’t be shielded by Timbaland’s genius." Don't even try to compare the Simpson sisters to the Minogue sisters! Someone needs to redeem ohnostalgia (2): "Jesus. Christ. Save. Me."

GhettoPrincess (10) needs a comeback by her: "Damn I love this, catchy and so much fun. I miss her!" Honestly, I don't really mind her absence kii. Serg. (8) states that "The prechorus is a very pleasant experience." It's my favourite part! Sprockrooster (10) lauds it: "That video and that sound from Ashlee was such a surprise. But a very welcome one. Timeless classic." You're sure that's the right wording?

iheartpoptarts (10) is preparing us: "Our poor little pop princess is going to get annihilated, no doubt, but this is a masterpiece and I’m here to tell you you’re all wrong." kermit_the_frog (9) shares some interesting trivia: "I still stan for this song - Tim, Santigold and Kenna COME THROUGH!!!!" I absolutely love Santigold. "You'll Find a Way" is amazing, especially the remix that was featured in Fame!

DJHazey (10) says hi to prevent me from going too far off-topic: "From the first "what?!?" it's so on with this crazy beast of a song. I just love how Ashlee really pushed the envelope with her sound on Bittersweet World. It's a shame that it flopped magnificently and signaled the end of her career. The world needs this Ashlee though, the one where she really sounds like she doesn't give a shit anymore and the resulting sound is beyond fun."

Ashlee described to Billboard that the music video had surrealist influences. Pete Wentz from Fall Out Boy, who was her boyfriend at that time, described it as "probably the weirdest video I've ever seen by hers". As for my opinion, I think it's kind of a Gwen Stefani rip-off.

15. #41.

That is painful.

16. 2014

2014 Staff Member

It's a bop but it's annoying at the same time though.

KingBruno likes this.
  17. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

This feels like a pretty solid top 40. Well done, everybody. (Poor Brandy, though.)

FutureSex/LoveSound can go now as it's my last remaining score below a 6.

GimmeWork likes this.
  18. Whew that was close. I was beginning to think I was gonna have to eat my words.

KingBruno and londonrain like this.
  19. Hehe, the comments on this one are so divided it's not even funny. Hugs to those of you who can bop to this, and I'll shake my head at those who can't and forever have more fun than you!

Love her hair in the video, too.

Old Untouchable Ace likes this.
  20. Eliminating her at #41 is basically a hate crime. She didn't make Top 40, but when I was told over 15 places ago that she'd be out 'anytime now', I'll still consider this a victory. I could've told everyone who the other three 10s were even if I was blindfolded and that's because you are all flawless individuals.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.