Timbaland Production Discography Rate - FINAL REVEALS [WINNER + RUNNER-UP] | Page 28 | The Popjustice Forum

Timbaland Production Discography Rate - FINAL REVEALS [WINNER + RUNNER-UP]

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by KingBruno, Aug 12, 2017.

1. "FutureSex/LoveSounds" is not even the worst Justin song still in.

kermit_the_frog likes this.
  2. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

I have a minimum of an 8 for all the others, so I disagree.

3. Not when there's still a fucking 2 of his still in.

4. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Clearly not everyone hates SexyBack as much as you do.

5. Dddd, yeah. There's also a certain Madonna song that features Justin that could stand to leave before "FutureSex/LoveSounds."

6. I am not too surprised Ashlee and Big Pimpin' are out but didn't call 4 Minutes lasting this long. Sad we are already losing Aaliyah but I suppose this was the best one to lose..

londonrain and AshleyKerwin like this.
  7. I love just about everything Aaliyah has done, including 4 Page Letter, but it is her worst effort here.

GimmeWork and londonrain like this.
  8. @iheartpoptarts and @Sprockrooster, I'm just going to post some of my 'non-PJ' favorites in the Ultimate Popjustice thread. Basically, a different Top songs, alot of rock/metal and some rap and could of other things.

Your guesses are still way off by the way, hehe.

9. This is definitely not her worst song in the rate. "We Need A Resolution" is. Also " Don’t Know What to Tell Ya" could have left before this too.

10. [​IMG]

11. Yeah, kicking out the slow ones is usually a good bet.

I'll get it by the end of this rate, I swear! So tell me... what age range would you consider "a kid"?

DJHazey and AshleyKerwin like this.
  12. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

I don’t know what to say to either of these statements. We Need A Resolution is not the worst anything.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017

[​IMG]

Justin Timberlake - FutureSex/LoveSound
    Score: 6,790322581

Highest score: 10 x 1 (@KingBruno)
    Lowest score: 2 x 1 (@Serg.)
    My score: 10/10

Let's talk about "FutureSex/LoveSound" and the importance it has in this rate.

Like I said before, the album tracks that I included in this rate were carefully chosen. There were moments I had doubts - I kept on wondering if it would be better to only include tracks that actually made impact on the bigger charts. This wasn't the case for "FutureSex/LoveSound", though. It just had to be in there. Not because of my personal interest in it, but because of the value it has in both Justin Timberlake's discography and Timbaland's production discography.

After the release of the debut album Justified, Justin felt like he "lost his voice" in the sense that he didn't enjoy what he was doing anymore. He received a burn out and felt like he needed a break from the music industry, hence why he started appearing in films more.

After he felt inspired to compose songs again, he decided not to return as a member of 'NSYNC. Instead, he started working with Timbaland again – this time for his second studio album. However, neither of them had any ideas, which resulted in the two of them experimenting with different styles of music.

"FutureSex/LoveSound" became the first song to be recorded after Justin's hiatus of the music industry of two years – it was the beginning of FutureSex/LoveSounds. Both singer and producer abandoned their usual R&B sound by throwing new wave and industrial rock elements (!) in the production. Aside from these peculair influences, the track became even more of a deviation after the team of producers agreed on letting Justin silently whisper during the song while his voice gets distorted throughout the whole set. Even his popular falsetto got completely excluded!

You need to see "FutureSex/LoveSound" as an introduction to a change of direction in, especially, Timbaland's work as a producer. This man once didn't bother leaving the world of R&B and hip hop – now look at all the genres he has faced after he accepted this challenge!

The song received a mixed reception by critics. It peaked at number 13 on the Billboard Bubbling Hot 100 Singles chart.

I let myself go and we're not even halfway yet! Let's go to the commentary real quick. I can see where Heaven on Earth (6,5) is coming from: "This works better as part of the album, not as a standalone song. If it was part of the album, I probably would’ve given it an 8.5, but considering that I’m rating this as a part inside of as a sum, it’s a 6.5." This is how you do an opening track teebs. send photo (3) could've been here for it, but not in our current time: "I guess it was futuristic but it sounds very of 2006 now." londonrain (3) says that it's "A master class in how to take a bumping beat and do basically nothing with it. Well done, Justin." It was just an experiment!

Let's end with ohnostalgia (8) must've been scared: "Now I'm thinking of robot sex, thanks a lot Justin."

"FutureSex/LoveSound" was the opening song of the FutureSex/LoveShow tour in 2007. It makes an appearance on the video album FutureSex/LoveShow: Live from Madison Square Garden. It also got a performance at the DIRECTV Super Saturday Night on February 2, 2013 in New Orleans. Justin gave a concert prior to the 2013 Grammy Awards in Los Angeles. He performed it as part of a medley there.

I couldn't find any of these performances so here he is performing it at Rock in Rio, which happened not that long ago.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  14. I think it definitely deserved to be included... I mean, that album made Timbaland massive at the time!

Poor Justin. I'm guessing you guys aren't *NSYNC stans!

15. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Yeah, this is basically a glorified intro. Goodbye.

At least we got a decent era out of it overall.

16. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

This is hardly It’s Gonna Be Me, though, is it?

iheartpoptarts likes this.
  17. Actually the best thing he's ever done. I stan you.

londonrain likes this.

[​IMG]

Missy Elliott - Sock It 2 Me ft. Da Brat
    Score: 7,041935484

Highest score: 10 x 2 (@LE0Night, @iheartpoptarts)
    Lowest score: 3 x 1 (@GhettoPrincess)
    My score: 6,5/10

The brass is what makes this song very addictive, so my esteem to Timbaland for that. But I don't think this really works as a single. It sounds like an opening track of an album but it isn't even that! It's not really an oustander on Supa Dupa Fly for me.

"Sock It 2 Me" was released as the second single of Supa Dupa Fly in a slightly re-recorded form. The song samples "Ready or Not Here I Come (Can't Hide from Love) by the Delfonics. The song peaked at number 12 on the Billboard Hot 100, and it received a place in the top ten on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Singles Charts, the Rhythmic Top 40 and the Hot Dance Music/Maxi-Singles Sales charts.

Heaven on Earth (8) says "I get down to this. I must say it’s a bit sad that Da Brat decimated Missy here, isn’t it?" Her part is awful! GhettoPrincess (3) expected more of Missy and calls it "Too basic." ohnostalgia (8,5) points out the best of it all: "Dat brass."

iheartpoptarts (10) is familair with this song: "10-year-old me actually loved this song!" Did Missy invent teen-pop?

The music video was directed by Hype Williams and is obviously inspired by the Mega Man video games series. Lil' Kim appears in it. There's also a moment where Missy and her dancers can be seen doing Michael Jackson's "Smooth Criminal" dance.

19. Well, it does remind me of one of the rejected 'Baby One More Time' video concepts!

(Apparently she was supposed to fight robots, albeit probably not in a Gmail suit.)

KingBruno and AshleyKerwin like this.
  20. And it was to be directed by Joseph Kahn instead of Nigel Dick.

iheartpoptarts likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.