Timbaland Production Discography Rate - FINAL REVEALS [WINNER + RUNNER-UP] | Page 35 | The Popjustice Forum

Timbaland Production Discography Rate - FINAL REVEALS [WINNER + RUNNER-UP]

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by KingBruno, Aug 12, 2017.

1. No! This is an outrage.

2. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Honestly a disgrace.

3. I mean, just wow.. I thought it was a lock for top 10 at very least.

lemonsqueezyy, Jwentz, R92 and 8 others like this.
  4. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Mr.Arroz, ufint, DJHazey and 7 others like this.
  5. One In A Million is gorgeous but her signature hit? Nah.

londonrain likes this.
  6. I just want to say i've been laughing to myself at this image for the past 30min.

R92, ohnostalgia, Serg. and 3 others like this.
  7. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

If Try Again leaves at any point before the top five then I honestly don’t know why we’re bothering with a Timbaland rate at all.

8. I think our flawless host has it about right!

DJHazey and KingBruno like this.
  9. I love Aaliyah and all, but guys, this is boring.

DJHazey and Old Untouchable Ace like this.
  10. Will this be someone's rise to the occasion for hosting an Aaliyah rate?

londonrain and slaybellz like this.
  11. In this moment of darkness, a ray of sunshine:

Take a moment, all.

TRAVVV, DJHazey, ohnostalgia and 2 others like this.
  12. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

The amount of mediocre Justin songs beating Missy and Aaliyah... come on. People really will grasp at anything pop over R&B/Hip-Hop. Sigh.

13. What Justin songs are actually left, may I ask?

[​IMG]

Justin Timberlake - Mirrors
    Score: 7,693548387

Highest score: 11 x 1 (@dancingwithmyself), 10 x 7 (@GhettoPrincess, @haps, @berserkboi, @ufint, @LE0Night, @NecessaryVoodoo, @K94)
    Lowest score: 0 x 1 (@Petty Mayonnaise)
    My score: 9/10

I still stand by my statement that The 20/20 Experience doesn't come close to the excellence of his second studio album, but this really is a good song and it's arguably one of the most recognizable songs from 2013. "Mirrors" is one of the few progressive songs Timbaland has produced; the length of eight minutes and five seconds (!) is one characteristic that suggests this. One thing that I need to point out is that the melody contains layers of Justin's vocals stacked upon each other! That being said, the lyrical content isn't negligible – it's actually pretty lovely.

Aside from it not being an 'obvious' Timbaland production – which is the case for "Cry Me a River" – the man actually did include a few of his well-known additions. After all, the handclap-style beats and layers consisting of synths and vocals do make their appearance and are more important to the song than one might think. The result is addictive, but the unnecessary length doesn't improve its potential.

The lyrics that they worked on since 2009 are inspired by the marriage of Justin grandparents. The song is classified as a mid-tempo progressive pop and R&B ballad. "Mirrors" became the second single from The 20/20 Experience. It reached number one on the charts in many countries, including the UK where it became his fourth number-one single. It peaked at the Billboard Hot 100 and topped the Mainstream Top 40 in the US. The song received positive reviews by critics and got nominated for Best Pop Solo Performance at the Grammy Awards.

I got a positive reception from almost all the commenters! GhettoPrincess (10) can forgive the running time: "Ah I still adore this, it goes on forever but that chorus just wins me around every damn time." That was the reason why it stayed in my playlist for so long but there just isn't place for it these days. Unlike me, haps (10) is someone who won't leave it behind: "Never get tired of this bop. Or sometimes, but it always come back!" DJHazey (9) loves the details: "That little "uh-oh" sounding part always captivated me and had me lightly bopping."

iheartpoptarts (9) is here for it once it's shortened: "Nice return to form, totally rating the radio edit." Heaven on Earth (7) must've forgotten that it has a more appreciated version: "It’s honestly a pretty good song, but dear lord, is it five minutes too long. Congratulations, Justin, on getting the radio to play a nine-minute song, but you ruined a pretty good song. It’s basically a repeat at the end, too. At least it isn’t a “Hey Jude”-like filler ending." Not "Hey Jude" being based around that whole outro. londonrain (9,5) calls it "Possibly Justin's best ever song in my eyes. The album version goes on for months, though." And it's still not a 10?

Of course, there were some people that didn't enjoy the whole ride. send photo (3) only saw the length as an annoyance coming with an annoyance "Good fucking god eight minutes? Gaga you ain’t. The song’s shit anyway make it stop." ohnostalgia (5) did have hope at some point: "I ended Mirrors with far less goodwill than when I started."

This may be an odd choice as the end of the comment section, but kermit_the_frog (1) deserves some spotlight after he had to listen to something he more than hates: "Possibly in my 10 least favourite songs of all time." That's ... something to say.

The music video was directed by Floria Sigismondi and got a world premiere as a highlight of an hour-long special on The CW in celebration of the album's release. The video is dedicated to his maternal grandparents. His grandmother Sadie Bomar told Italian weekly Grazia that: "Justin didn't tell me he was doing it, it was a surprise. He said, “You have to see this video, just you sit down and watch it". I was moved by it, it brings tears to my eyes. It's a lovely tribute to us." It received the Video of the Year award at the 2013 MTV Video Music Awards. He performed it on The Ellen DeGeneres Show and Saturday Night Live. On February 20, 2013, he gave a performance of it at the 2013 BRIT Awards. It also got included on the setlist of his medley at the 2013 MTV Video Music Awards. It made an appearance on Justin and Jay-Z's co-headlining Legends of the Summer Tour (2013) and The 20/20 Experience Tour (2013-15). He performed it together with Taylor Swift on her 1989 Tour at August 26, 2015.

15. Mirrors is probably my favourite JT song too, so I was hoping it would be the last one standing of his. I guess I am rooting for the LoveStoned/I Think That She Knows Interlude as his final moment here, despite not being as fond of the LoveStoned portion (still very strong though). What Comes Around and SexyBack can leave anytiem now...

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    londonrain likes this.
  16. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

HALLELUJAH. Should’ve stuck with my original score of 3.

17. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

And suddenly the @Mina is you.

(Often imitated, never duplicated, etc.)

Heaven on Earth, berserkboi and Mina like this.
  18. I'm flattered, I think?

berserkboi and londonrain like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.