Timbaland Production Discography Rate - FINAL REVEALS [WINNER + RUNNER-UP] | Page 39 | The Popjustice Forum

Timbaland Production Discography Rate - FINAL REVEALS [WINNER + RUNNER-UP]

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by KingBruno, Aug 12, 2017.

1. I meant it to be really over-the-top and was not really being all that serious.

GimmeWork likes this.
  2. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

I don’t hate it. In fact I still bop to it.

I remember some elaborate explanation at the time along the lines of how it’s about how all women are beautiful and so all girls can do the pretty girl rock...

...but it’s still a song centred around the line “don’t hate me ’cause I’m beautiful”.

Oh well. I still enjoy it. That whole second album was so underrated.

3. "Knock You Down" still remains the best Keri Hilson song, both featured and solo.

londonrain and berserkboi like this.
  4. Look at us agreeing wholeheartedly!

Heaven on Earth likes this.
  5. I've always been partial to Lose Control but will never forgive Nelly for "shaking your anus." An actual crime. A clanger in every way.

londonrain likes this.
  6. Y'all just can't handle this beat.

[​IMG]

Timbaland - Give It to Me ft. Nelly Furtado & Justin Timberlake
    Score: 7,872580645

Highest score: 10 x 3 (@KingBruno, @Terminus, @tylerc904)
    Lowest score: 2 x 1 (@Aester)
    My score: 10/10

"Is it going? Is it going? Is it going? Is it going?/I don't know what you're looking for"

*insert iconic beat*

YAS! This song has one of the most addictive beats Timbaland ever created, and I stand by that statement. Overall I'm not a big fan of Timbaland's studio albums, but he absolutely delivered right here. I can't think of a better lead single for Shock Value.

"Give It to Me" contains elements of electro and hip hop and has a club touch in it. It has a notable variety of instrumention, but in the end it does get that very modern sound Timbaland was chasing after. The verses – that are almost objectively better than the chorus – are supported by a tribal beat accompanied by synthezisers. The three artists all refute criticism that they received in the past, which results in a few epic moments during the song. For example, Timbaland raps about the fame he has while slating an unnamed producer (that's obviously Scott Storch) during the lyrics "I'm respected from Californ-I-A way down to Japan/I'm a real producer and you just a piano man". Justin disses Prince and in all probability, my fave Janet Jackson.

(Don't let this turn into a Justin vs. Janet war thread thank you.)

I do think the featured artists on this track sound impressively well; their verses in my opinion outclasses Timbaland's. Both Nelly and Justin sound full of themselves and I'm so here for that. Overall, "Give It to Me" has one incredible combination of artists; the three of them really were pop rulers during the '00s.

It's the first single from Shock Value (2007). "Give It to Me" is classified as an electro song with a club music feel. The song is noted for Timbaland's abusive speech in the second verse towards former co-worker Scott Storch. The song received a positive reception by critics and praise for its production and songwriting. It became Timbaland's only number one single in the US as a main artist. The single got nominated for Best Pop Collaboration with Vocals at the 2008 Grammy Awards.

Most of the comments were favourable! Heaven on Earth (9) finds it underappreciated: "If you ask the average American if this song was a #1 hit, they wouldn’t believe it. It’s so fucking strange, because it was! BUT IT NEVER GETS PLAYED ON THE RADIO THESE DAYS! Why?! “The Way I Are” still does get played significantly, why not this song? This is a really good song. It did not deserve this treatment by the general public." Because the radio can't handle such a collaboration! DJHazey (9) sees it more as a song to be played in the club: "Yeah this will always go awf in the club. What an anthem in that regard. Also, I want to point how iconic Timbaland's facial expressions are in his videos. He seems like somebody who'd be fun to hang out with." I want to be part of Team Timbo.

haps (9,5) takes it: "They gave it to me. A BOP." A bop it is. iheartpoptarts (9) gets more into the details by saying "I love it when artists reference their past songs in other songs." I'm glad Nelly loved her ass and abs in the video of "Promiscuous". Serg. (9) saw criminals: "Some people in comments slandering Nellegend get a job challenge." I just read throughout the YouTube comments! A fucking mess.

Epic Chocolat (9) calls it a "A somewhat enjoyable diss track." ohnostalgia (7,5) thinks about something else: "I remember that "your body" production from a DJ Earworm mashup." Oh, him.

Sprockrooster
    must've expected less (9): "This is actually holding up brilliantly and perhaps even grew in love in time." tylerc904 (10) remembers the good 2007: "God I was obsessed with this at the time. Just such a moment." Oh yeah, you can call it a moment for sure.

We close with slaybellz (9) who cites some highlights: ""I'm a real producer and you just a piano man
    Your songs don't top the charts, I heard 'em, I'm not a fa-an-an"

"We missed you on the charts last week, damn, that's right you wasn't there
    Now if se-sexy never left, then why is everybody on my shi-i-it?"

[​IMG]."

The music video premiered on MTV's Total Request Live on 26 February 2007. Throughout the video we see their performance of the song at the 2007 Grammy Awards pre-show and Justin and Timbaland in a tour bus. Nelly is on a balcony for some reason. The directors were Paul "Coy" Allen and Timbaland.

7. Don't turn this into a Justin vs Janet war? Well.
    [​IMG]

GimmeWork likes this.
  8. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Doesn’t Nelly herself dislike this song now because she thinks it’s too negative? I seem to remember a quote to that effect floating around when she omitted it from her greatest hits...

AshleyKerwin likes this.
  9. Well this is unexpected...

[​IMG]

Timbaland - Apologize ft. OneRepublic
    Score: 7,911290323

Highest score: 10 x 9 (@KingBruno, @Sprockrooster, @GhettoPrincess, @DJHazey, @2014, @berserkboi, @Epic Chocolat, @Conan, @Petty Mayonnaise)
    Lowest score: 2 x 1 (@Heaven on Earth)
    My score: 10/10

That's my third ten in a row.

Seriously though, this song is wonderful. I know it's not usual to include a remix in a production discography rate, but this song has been so important for Timbaland and in the end it was a single of Shock Value. And you know what? This version may not have that much additions, but what Timbaland did makes this song even more powerful than it already was. Yes, it's better than the original if you ask me.

The remix includes an additional percussion line, new backing vocals and added sound samples together with further sound mixing and some other small chances. And of course, that incredible guitar solo after the second verse that adds a more R&B sound to the song.

The remix got included on Timbaland's album Shock Value and the deluxe edition of OneRepublic's album Dreaming Out Loud. Firstly, radio stations announced the artist of the song as "Timbaland". Later it got changed to "Timbaland Presents OneRepublic" after the song became more popular.

GhettoPrincess (10) finds it outstanding for an OneRepublic song: "I find OneRepublic’s material very patchy but this one is a classic. Everything about it just works so well." To be honest, I actually like them. "Stop and Stare" especially is such a good track. But well, after their first studio album everything went backwards for them. ohnostalgia (9) is not a fan either though: "Minus one point for Ryan Tedder." Never forget that he produced the masterful "XO" by Beyonce!

haps
    (9) can enjoy it: "Oh. This is such a guilty pleasure." Unfortunately, Serg. (7,5) can't as much: "I'm kinda bothered by the beats in this song." But why?

iheartpoptarts (8,5) plainly finds it a "Gorgeous song." Absolutely! DJHazey (10) is into it as well: "Oh wow, I didn't expect this to be on the song list. Look at me giving out so many high scores to male-vocalist songs, ddd. This is a generational anthem. Yes, I was legit getting my life to it back when it was big." Men can bring it too! Epic Chocolat (10) gives credit to Timbo for it: "Timbaland's input is minimal but it elevates the song."

Now let's give a whole paragraph to Heaven on Earth (2) who slanders this '00s anthem: "Never liked this song both in its original or the Timbaland remix. I’m seriously perplexed how this song became the tenth most successful song of the 2000s in the U.S. This song was the “Shape of You” of the 2000s."

Let's end on a positive note with praise coming from Sprockrooster (10): "One of the best urban ballads from the 00's. Timbaland has a great sense for a big hit and he was a true king picking this out."

The remix received an official video that got released at the beginning of October 2007. It premiered on VH1's Top 20 Countdown on October 27, 2007. The director is Roberts Hales and it shows OneRepublic in a recording studio performing the song. It also contains some scenes of a New York's Eve Party. A third version of the video has Timbaland remixing in it. I'll post that one because this rate is for Timbaland and not Ryan Tedder.

10. TOP 20
    Aaliyah - Are You That Somebody?
    Aaliyah - More Than a Woman
    Aaliyah - Try Again
    Aaliyah - We Need a Resolution ft. Timbaland
    Beyoncé - Partition
    Brandy - Afrodisiac
    Ginuwine - Pony
    Justin Timberlake - Cry Me a River
    Justin Timberlake - LoveStoned/I Think She Knows
    Justin Timberlake - SexyBack ft. Timbaland
    Justin Timberlake - What Goes Around.../...Comes Around
    Missy Elliot - Get Ur Freak On
    Missy Elliot - Pass That Dutch
    Missy Elliot - Work It
    Nelly Furtado - All Good Things (Come To An End)
    Nelly Furtado - Maneater
    Nelly Furtado - Promiscuous ft. Timbaland
    Nelly Furtado - Say It Right
    Timbaland - The Way I Are ft. D.O.E. & Keri Hilson
    Tweet - Oops (Oh My)​

11. [​IMG]

And yes at queen Tweet paying dust to many classics and nestling it's way into the top 20. Pulling a Bunton when I want her to do so.

12. I would have had Apologize survive longer than Partition but a very strong top 20!

londonrain and Sprockrooster like this.
  13. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Such a great top 20. It’s a shame Apologize (one of my 9.5s) had to go, but all seven of my 10s for this rate are still here and 19 of the 20 songs have a score of 8 or above from me, so I’ll take that.

14. 2014

2014 Staff Member

GET. PONY. OUT.

15. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Remember when you did this in the Sugababes discography rate:
    and Ace Reject won?

6BF258C4-5684-4E14-9B8B-5119F67437CC.jpeg

berserkboi, Sprockrooster and ufint like this.
  16. If Pony wins over Nelly, Missy and Aaliyah this rate will become rememberable for all the wrong reasons.

It can win over JT though

Jwentz, GimmeWork and londonrain like this.
  17. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

I doubt it’ll beat any of them (it might outlast a song or two by each of them at most). Once we get past this round of “classics that a small minority seems to loathe” I expect it’ll fall in pretty short order.

AshleyKerwin and Sprockrooster like this.
  18. I seriously doubt it would make any further than top 20. But it is a meltdown I do not want to witness if we are wrong.

19. Finally. I liked Apologize when it came out but it did not age well.

20. I'm not happy about Mirrors leaving so early. That being said, I'm now on Aaliyah's side of the fence. Team Try Again!

londonrain and berserkboi like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.