Timbaland Production Discography Rate - FINAL REVEALS [WINNER + RUNNER-UP] | Page 40 | The Popjustice Forum

Timbaland Production Discography Rate - FINAL REVEALS [WINNER + RUNNER-UP]

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by KingBruno, Aug 12, 2017.

[​IMG]

Timbaland - The Way I Are ft. D.O.E. & Keri Hilson
    Score: 7,927419355

Highest score: 10 x 7 (@GhettoPrincess, @Terminus, @2014, @londonrain, @Untouchable Ace, @ufint, @Conan)
    Lowest score: 0 x 1 (@Petty Mayonnaise)
    My score: 9,5/10

An essential club anthem. Despite its below average running time from two minutes and fifty-nine seconds, this hip hop and electro record still sounds massive. In "The Way I Are", Timbaland manifests a futuristic sound by merging R&B, dance and electronic music. Being supported by a club beat and severe synths, the song comes over as an energetic piece of music. Meanwhile, the songwriting that's used here isn't as brilliant as the production. "Baby if you strip, you can get a tip/Cause I like you just the way you are". Yeah ... right.

The reason why this didn't get full marks of me is because the composition is far from being renewing. Many people have noticed similarities between the synthezisers from the this track and Justin Timberlake's "My Love", and in my opinion they sound alike VERY badly.

Apart from this, Keri's lovely vocals match the song structure incredibly well.

Heaven on Earth (8,5) finds it irresistible: "If only this was a Keri Hilson solo track with both the Timbaland production and the chorus intact. Oh, and great verses too. If this was a Keri Hilson solo track, this would’ve been a 10. Sadly, Timbaland and the other “rappers” ruin the track. But, seriously, oh my god, no matter how many times I listen to this, I’m still obsessed with that chorus despite its obnoxious grammatical error!" Sprockrooster (9) also commented on the song's use of grammar: "Knocking down half a point for the tragic spelling and teaching English wrong to children all around the world. Knocking down another half a point for inspiring Bebe Rexha to do the exact same with this title. But pettiness aside this is a bop that still rocks my socks. Perfect jam for those late summer jams I enjoy to have, cause it is the way I am." Who does she think she is?

haps (8,5) asks a question: "Did Keri Hilson ever got her breakthrough? I remember the struggle." Not really. GhettoPrincess (10) mentions Keri's flop career as well: "This was my jam back when it was released and I thought Keri Hilson would go on to big things….. oops. It’s so good though." send photo (8) is more bothered about a lyric: ""I ain’t got no money" plays in my head almost daily. I’m so poor." So is Keri Hilson at the moment probably. Okay enough about her.

iheartpoptarts
    (8) remembers it from being a disco chaser and calls it "One of those songs you’d always hear while out at night even after everyone was tired of it." Meanwhile, ohnostalgia (7,5) almost crossed the boundaries of being too generous: "This is as high as I can go for @R92."

Let's close with AshleyKerwin (8,5) who shares a story: "This song. Iconic. I don’t remember if I actually heard it organically on the radio but I think I used to see it on those “every picture ever!” compilation videos for America’s Next Top Model photoshoots as a soundtrack but I didn’t know it was a real song. I heard it in the mall a few years later and I was like “wow, this sounds so futuristic but familiar”. I remembered the general beat but I didn’t hear any lyrics. Then- I think almost 2 years later- I finally heard it on the radio and I recorded it on my MP3 Player before I looked up the lyrics the next day. Now my friends make fun of me for stanning such a basic, probably dated song with 2 nobodies and has beens as the features but it still reminds me of when I used to think Cycle 2 of America’s Next Top Model was high fashion as the Guess store display in the mall."

The video was directed by Shane Drake. The music video contains an additional verse of Timbaland's brother Sebastian. Strangely, the video saw its premiere on the German music television channel VIVA on June 15, 2007. YouTube has a director's cut of the video. Timbaland performed it at the 2007 MTV Video Music Awards. Another performance was at the 2009 Grammy Award pre-show. Also One Life to Live but don't watch that one.

2. Didn't think Apologize was lasting much longer, but Do It could've been in the Top 20 over this or Pony.

KingBruno likes this.
  3. Good. The two songs I wanted out are gone. It definitely did not deserve top 20 though.

GimmeWork likes this.
  4. This is a Timbaland rate. It really wouldn't have been fair for "Do It" to have been so successful in this rate.

The world moves on, another day, another day, but not for me, not for me, because all I think about is karma.

5. Why does everyone want to come with this "it's a Timbaland rate..." rhetoric? All songs are in the rate, if it didn't deserve to be rated as a Timbaland song, then why have it in the rate?

6. Well, it's good, but Timbaland blatantly plagiarized that beat.

7. And my point stands, if that was going to be the sticking point for people then why bother rating it in the first place? Any song that it rated highly should deserve to be there without question.

Sprockrooster likes this.
  8. I think whereas, say in a Nelly Furtado discography rate, "Do It" should be focused as a whole, yet here, the production should be the main point. A great production is how well it accentuates the song and the artist and having an ounce of originality. "Do It" is a great song, but Timbaland's production certainly isn't original.

Take for example, "Biology" in the Xenomania rate. Now I must confess "Biology" is my favorite Girls Aloud song, and a good amount of credit goes to Xenomania. There was something so patchy yet so complete about that song that it just works wonder. Each patch is great in its own right: the instrumental during the intro, the instrumental during the outro, the way the girls' voices remains apart yet blends together during the chorus. "Biology" is really a Girls Aloud song, not a song that happens to be Girls Aloud's. "Call the Shots" is a great song, and while Xenomania deserves their share of credit, I wouldn't say it's really Xenomania's finest moment, mainly since "Call the Shots" never felt like a Girls Aloud song but rather a song that happens to be Girls Aloud's.

My point is that production can truly make a difference and that we need to celebrate the producer(s)'s finest moments. "Do It" in its unoriginality, to be kind, is really not one of Timbaland's finest moment, despite it being a great song otherwise. I'm happy that "Do It" did so well, but I can't help feel that, considering that this a Timbaland rate, this isn't a proper celebration of Timbaland but rather Nelly Furtado. Does that make sense? Do you see where I'm coming from?

9. I'm really not an expert here, but if we're going to get into that, aren't there quite a few Timbaland songs that are at least allegedly built around uncredited samples? Life is hard.

10. There's shockingly a ton, but "Do It" is probably the most noteworthy in which he sampled several aspects of the same song, whereas before it was usually an element of a song. Only difference was he added a bass beat on top. Dddd.

11. I completely agree.

Except I forgot that when rating and just threw 10s at my favourite jams...

Heaven on Earth and ohnostalgia like this.
  12. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I consciously tried to rate this as a Timberland production rate, not an do I love these songs rate. @Heaven on Earth is completely right and if I’d known Do It (or any other song) was plagerized I would’ve not given it a 9.5. Because that’s not great production, that’s just copying.

This is also why some people, including me, will be upset if interesting, career high productions from Missy and Aaliyah fail over “bops” with less interesting production. Because it’s a production rate.

13. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tweet - Oops (Oh My) ft. Missy Elliott
    Score: 7,941935484

Highest score: 11 x 1 (@kermit_the_frog), 10 x 10 (@Terminus, @2014, @haps, @londonrain, @Heaven on Earth, @LE0Night, @slaybellz, @NecessaryVoodoo, @ohnostalgia, @K94)
    Lowest score: 2,2 x 1 (@Untouchable Ace)
    My score: 9,5/10

"I wanna feel myself like Tweet" - Jay-Z in "This Is Not a Test!".

IMPACT QUEEN!

This song is a poem to masturbation! That beat really takes a hold on you, doesn't it? I don't really have much to share on this one, mostly because I wasn't very familair with this song before the rate started. I'd describe it as a fun, pure piece of R&B.

It became the lead single of Southern Hummingbird in February 2002.

I'm not the only one that didn't use many words though! haps (10) just calls it "CATCHY." So true! ohnostalgia (10) finds it a "Sexy BOP!!!!" So true as well!

Sprockrooster (9) wants more Tweet: "I never knew why Tweet never took off as an artist as I could listen to that voice all day. Her feature on Missy's Take Away is for me her pinnacle of her voice. But this is definitely a great jam too." AshleyKerwin (9) knows all too well that Tweet can't stabilize her career at this very moment though: "Get well soon, Tweet!" She had blood clots didn't she? Very sad.

Heaven on Earth (10) praises it heavily: "Timbaland really outdid himself on those phenomenal and banging beats! It does a great job of making you just want to dance to this ultimate ode to masturbation, making it more comfortable to listen to around your family, but only slightly so. But seriously, this production is one of Timbaland’s masterpieces." I doubt that, kii.

Tweet is lovely in the music video. Y'all should watch it.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  14. I'm suddenly tempted to run a bop rate for some producer or other and see what happens.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  15. 2014

2014 Staff Member

I'm losing 10s everywhere noooooo

GimmeWork, londonrain and slaybellz like this.
  16. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

AWWW NOOOO. I thought Tweet could go higher, but ah well. At least I was reminded this masterpiece exists.

17. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Boogie 2nite is a bit of a jam too x

londonrain and kermit_the_frog like this.
  18. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Open up @iheartpoptarts production house and then we can run your bop rate!

iheartpoptarts and londonrain like this.
  19. K94

K94

Absolute classic - such an incredibly fun bop. Deserved a bit better!

Pass That Dutch next.

20. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

No way in hell.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.