Timbaland Production Discography Rate - FINAL REVEALS [WINNER + RUNNER-UP] | Page 43 | The Popjustice Forum

Timbaland Production Discography Rate - FINAL REVEALS [WINNER + RUNNER-UP]

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by KingBruno, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Kii what? He's not referring to women as actually children, it's slang. If anything the issue with that line is Justin approriating black slang. But that's like 80% of his career so...

KingBruno and londonrain like this.
  2. Yes, I never took that as worse than singers screaming out for a 'daddy' in a song...

londonrain likes this.
  3. I know. It does play into this patriarchal atmosphere where Justin's the "teacher" and the woman's the "student." It all seems so wrong to me.

I find "SexyBack" to really problematic and really bad and cringeworthy, both lyrically and production-wise.

4. ...Yeah, I'm not bothered. I do appreciate how you guys around here want to stand up for women and all, but sometimes you take it so much further than I ever would!

5. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

By the point about Partition or the point about SexyBack? Or both?

[​IMG]
    Justin Timberlake - What Goes Around.../...Comes Around
    Score: 8,016129032

Highest score: 11 x 1 (@Untouchable Ace), 10 x 7 (@KingBruno, @Sprockrooster, @haps, @Heaven on Earth, @Conan, @Number, @K94)
    Lowest score: 2 x 1 (@Petty Mayonnaise)
    My score: 10/10

How could one possibly not like that guitar riff?

"What Goes Around.../...Comes Around" can be described as both a pop and R&B song with a slow style. The midtempo beat that can be heard in this song is utterly relaxing. The song has an obvious link with Justin's previous studio album, Justified, which isn't the case for all the other track on FutureSex/LoveSounds. The tuneful line that can be heard from the start appears to be two Turkish folk instruments called bağlamas. But the most interesting part, in my opinion, must be the break.

One thing that absolutely shouldn't be ignored is the lyrics, of course. Just like "Cry Me A River", the lyrical content has been rumoured to be about Justin's ex-girlfriend, pop queen Britney Spears.

I don't know what y'all think, but this sumptuous ballad full of a reverberating falsetto together with whirling synthezisers is worthy of perfect scores.

Many tell of the song as a sequel to "Cry Me a River". Music critics responded positively to the track. "What Goes Around.../...Comes Around" was the third single of the album. It became a number-one hit on the Billboard Hot 100. The song was certified two-times platinum in Australia and gold in both the United States and New Zealand. The song got a nomination fot Record of the Year at the 2008 Grammy Awards and also won Best Male Pop Vocal Performance there.

Sprockrooster (10) has been introduced to the better version of the song: "I am hearing the album version for the first time in this rate and I am loving all these extra additions in the production. Sounds much more whole to me and definitely drawing me in to 10 this." Oh, the cuts they make on the radio are very bad. Luckily for Heaven on Earth (10), the intro will always be there: "I love the intro a lot. Oh, please, I need to replace “intro” with “song.” I really like Timbaland’s production and it works with Justin’s vocals. It’s a very memorable beat. I don’t listen to this nearly as often as I should. Yes, I’m a lousy Britney stan." Don't worry, you can be both a Justin Timberlake and Britney Spears fan like me.

AshleyKerwin (8,5) knows people with wrong opinions: "People in my Tumblr circle used to say Justin could only have 2 song templates, with this and Cry Me a River, but this is a good song." So I guess "SexyBack" never happened? iheartpoptarts (6) noticed a lot of Timberlake songs happening in this rate: "I feel like you lowkey just tricked all these people into doing a Justin Timberlake singles rate and I’m kind of here for it." It's just that he and Timbaland made a lot of striking tracks together, kii.

I wonder if send photo (4) has heard about the rumours of Justin Timberlake and Janet Jackson doing next year's Superbowl together: "Well you ended Janet’s career and I’m still waiting for the comes back around to your career part." Penisgate incoming? Now let's go to ohnostalgia (9) real quick who is grateful towards a certain show: "Thank you Gossip Girl soundtrack."

We close with Untouchable Ace (11) who loses his maximum score: "I am a sucker for those tranquil mid-tempo songs that take you to a place. This is the song that gets me there by Justin Timberlake. The melodic combination of Timbaland's production and his selection of strings with Justin's beautiful vocal perfomance is almost mesmerizing."

The music video for the song is a short movie. Samuel Bayer directed it. American actress Scarlett Johansson plays a lead. Justin gave a performance of it on Saturday Night Live. Also the 2007 Grammy Awards. It got included on the setlist of his FutureSex/LoveShow.

7. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

We're going to end up with zero JT songs in the top ten, aren't we?

The rest of the songs are all outstanding, though...

...except for you, Partition:

[​IMG]

8. Before Cry Me a River? That's a choice.

9. Agreed.

I gave Partition one point too much clearly.

Old Untouchable Ace likes this.
  10. I too am unhappy that my 11 is gone before Beyoncé.
    However I took some thinking to decide on my top score and there are still lots of near 10's that I would be happy with if they won

londonrain likes this.
  11. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Cry Me a River is Justin’s best song here. SexyBack should’ve gone first but I’m not complaining about this cut.

haps likes this.
  12. Well, the 'SexyBack' one is what made me go "Oh, come on," but I also can't bring myself to get too upset over a song where the whole point is "Fuck yeah, sex in a limo."

I do think the remaining Justin singles are his best, by the way!

13. The video ruined "What Goes Around..." for me. It's a terribly directed and acted, self-indulgent mess. And I don't care if the song is actually about Elisha Cuthbert; he knew people would make a Britney connection and the song would get a bump from that. She was already having a really rough time of it in 2006 (see the Matt Lauer interview), so the song's always felt a little gross to me.

The production really is outstanding, though, especially the transition to the "You spend your nights alone..." part. I'll give it that.

"LoveStoned" deserved better.

14. I agree.

GimmeWork likes this.
  15. While I gave it a 9/10 because I like the song a lot, I struggle to see how it is this "classic Timbaland song" that people have used as a measurement against why some of my other favorites weren't allowed to go far in this rate. It's quite the anomaly then to see it go this far.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    Sprockrooster and londonrain like this.
  16. Yes. Especially as it has 7 producers and Timbo is one of them. Definitely some inconsistency there that this song is still here as it doesnot feel like Timbo to me. But looking at the current low scores it's loss cannot be far and we basically always knew it was going far whether people looked at the production or not.

londonrain and DJHazey like this.
  17. Exactly, my 9 is from scoring the song (because that was openly my strategy) but I heard everyone else was scoring production from Timbaland only and well...

Sprockrooster likes this.
  18. Hey, it could be fun if 'Partition' wins. Justice for Justin after all!

Sprockrooster likes this.
  19. Mkay.
    [​IMG]

Jwentz likes this.
  20. How ThatGrapeJuice of you. But my point still stands. The Ashlee songs have more than half of the producers than Partition.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.