Timbaland Production Discography Rate - FINAL REVEALS [WINNER + RUNNER-UP] | Page 51 | The Popjustice Forum

Timbaland Production Discography Rate - FINAL REVEALS [WINNER + RUNNER-UP]

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by KingBruno, Aug 12, 2017.

1. I second this!

DJHazey likes this.
  2. This top 5 is 100%. I wouldn't put them in that order but superb taste!

3. And then you.

GimmeWork, KingBruno and londonrain like this.
  4. Yes, but I know you gave Say It Right less than a 10, so...

(I gave Cry Me a River a 6)

5. It's pretty but 'Maneater' bops harder.

Petty Mayonnaise and DJHazey like this.
  6. My 8/10 for that feels like an overscore at this point.

iheartpoptarts likes this.
  7. Hey, that's what I gave 'Say It Right'!

ohnostalgia likes this.
  8. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Twins!

9. Good. If all the detractors could muster was an 8, then Say It Right still has a solid chance in this.

(I know everyone already thought it did, but I need to talk myself into believing it still.)

londonrain and Sprockrooster like this.
  10. The ideal top five right now goes:
    1. Try Again
    2. Get Ur Freak On
    3. Cry Me a River
    4. Maneater
    5. Work It

Of course, that'll never happen.

londonrain likes this.
  11. Oh, you. I'm not a detractor... I just don't want it to beat everything ever, either!

12. I gave it a 6. But I'm sure it still has a solid chance.

DJHazey likes this.
  13. I now think Try Again has this is the bag as I cannot see many rating it below an 8 like I can the others.

Cry Me A River is now more than ripe for am elimination but watch it be More Than A Woman and break my heart!

londonrain and AshleyKerwin like this.
  14. No. Not when it's a Timbaland production rate and features some of his best work. The production is still fresh, still exciting, still unique, and those Gregorian chants are everything. The song is also one of the best songs competing in this rate including shockingly non-annoying vocal performance, some great lyrics ("You were my sun, you were my earth" being one) and, obviously, great production. Song may get too much undeserved flack here, in my opinion, because of that whole Britney drama, and that's one of the big reasons why I despise him as a person, but, otherwise, the song's good.

My opinion, of course.

15. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Really? I’m not as confident after seeing the Aaliyah eliminations we’ve already had...

16. If Say It Right is suffering a backlash - can any other option really beat it? Safest bet with this crowd?

17. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

I’d say the two Missy tracks are safer bets than the Aaliyah ones.

I worry that Try Again has been quietly tanked far worse than Say It Right has.

18. I see your point... I would also be more than fine with Missy winning. In fact a case can be made for all remaining songs to win without too much disagreement from me, although I am pulling for my 11 and the two nearly 11s...

londonrain and Sprockrooster like this.
  19. Literally, the only song left that isn't at least a ten (I think I've revealed 11 several times by now) is Aaliyah's "Are You That Somebody?" and even I gave that a 9.5. For all my harping, I do actually consider the top eight to be a victory of some sort ("My Love" and "We Need a Resolution" really should still be in).

londonrain likes this.
  20. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Justin Timberlake - Cry Me a River
    Score: 8,516129032

Highest score: 10 x 14 (@KingBruno, @tylerc904, @haps, @Heaven on Earth, @Untouchable Ace, @ufint, @LE0Night, @iheartpoptarts, @slaybellz, @Aester, @NecessaryVoodoo, @ohnostalgia, @Number, @K94)
    Lowest score: 5 x 2 (@Sprockrooster, @Epic Chocolat)
    My score: 10/10

This is one of the few spots in the top 10 that I find ridiculous. "Cry Me a River" is a modern classic, defining for the Noughties and an absolute highlight of the Timberlake-Timbaland collaboration. This belongs in the top 5, guys.

Now I must admit that I'm not the biggest fan when it comes to the lyrics that's clearly directed at Britney Spears – I'm obviously not the only one – but I do appreciate his outspokenness to some extent. Was it a public stunt? I don't know, but I don't disapprove songwriters that take along their personal issues in the process.

One aspect that truly makes "Cry Me a River" a noteworthy record is the orchestration that's part of the production. The concept is orchestrated in a way that makes the piece of music captivating and enigmatic. One could also recognize an experimental sound. The whole thing sounds sinister and out of control in the best way possible.

The composition, lyrical content and its infinite status makes this record in my opinion vastly epic.

The song was sent to contemporary hit and rhythmic radio by Jive Records as the second single from Justified on November 25, 2002. It's classified as an R&B song. "Cry Me a River" received acclaim from music critics, who found it outstanding on the album and complimented Timbaland's production. Rolling Stone included the song on their Best Songs of All Time list at 484. It won Best Male Pop Vocal Performance at the 2004 Grammy Awards. The song reached number 3 on the Billboard Hot 100. It has been certified gold by the Australian Recording Industry Association (ARIA) and the French record industry. The song has been covered by many artists such as Leona Lewis and Taylor Swift.

Luckily there were a few that directly connected the song to its position in the music history, for instance haps (10) who calls it an "Instant classic." Yes, yes and yes! londonrain (9,5) can agree with that: "Still an utter classic." One that at least deserves a 10!

GhettoPrincess
    (8) does understand its relevance but notes some flaws in the meantime: "Really a classic for it’s time but vocally it’s a bit grating." Are we speaking of the tenor, falsetto or baritone, or multiple? I don't notice it. Sprockrooster (5) comes for the falsetto: "High pitch male vocals are very often a no go for me and this is one of those cases. But let me hand out points for the amazing production from Timbaland."

Now let's go to the much anticipated part related to Britney Spears of the comment section. iheartpoptarts (10) wanted me to create a post full of cringe: "Britney and Justin reminiscing post pretty please?" ohnostalgia (10) luckily didn't hold back because of Britney by avoiding giving this full marks: "I know we're supposed to hate because of Britney, but this still knocks. Sorry bout it." Serg. (10) is here for it too but does specify that Britney did it better: "Yeah this is a classic, but let's be honest the only good thing about this is the catchy chorus & production, Everytime outdid." We all know the only way she could outdo him is with this song, kii:

We close with Heaven on Earth (10) who perfectly describes its perfection: "I will stan Britney till the end of time so I really hate giving this a ten, but I must. There’s just something about the way the Gregorian choir and the slight pounding (that reminds me of the raindrops, the star of the video) in the background just seems to vitalize this song in such an atmospheric way. There’s something so menacing about this (of course!) yet the menace is drenched in hooks from here to eternity. This song was very calculated, and while it didn’t work to make me go from Team Britney to Team Justin, I recognized a good pop song when I hear one. “Cry Me a River” is definitely the true gem of the Justified era – and it’s in large part due to Timbaland. Pharrell, what’s good?"

The music video was directed by Francis Lawrence and the filming took place in Malibu. The video contains an actress that portrays Britney Spears. A critic from Billboard called it "JT's most controversial video to date". He gave a performance of "Cry Me a River" at the 2002 Billboard Music Awards while being accompanied by a string section and choir. He also included it on the setlist for his medley at the 2013 MTV Video Music Awards. He performed the song on all of his solo tours.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.