Timbaland Production Discography Rate - FINAL REVEALS [WINNER + RUNNER-UP] | Page 52 | The Popjustice Forum

Timbaland Production Discography Rate - FINAL REVEALS [WINNER + RUNNER-UP]

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by KingBruno, Aug 12, 2017.

1. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

I didn’t give this a 10 because I only handed them to the songs I wanted to win the rate, and this isn’t one of them.

Still a great song, though.

GimmeWork, haps and berserkboi like this.
  2. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Hmm. I think I basically gave everything left a 10 except Say It Right, so I didn’t know what I wanted to leave next. I think this should’ve made Top 5 though.

londonrain and KingBruno like this.
  3. Glad this is out but had it gotten further, I would not have been able to feel badly either as it is just that good!

I am very impressed with More Than A Woman getting so far! Hopefully it gets to top 5. I am thinking and worried that both it or Are You That Somebody are leaving next, I would prefer for the next elimination to be Maneater (also fantastic and with enough quality to win anyway)

londonrain and slaybellz like this.
  4. Why would you want the best Nelly Furtado song to leave?

iheartpoptarts and ohnostalgia like this.
  5. I prefer Say It Right and All Good Things to Maneater and to be honest - Nelly's best song is Somebody To Love! (Very unpopular opinion, I know)

londonrain and slaybellz like this.
  6. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Nelly’s best song is Powerless. @send photo and I already closed this case.

7. Nelly's best song is the one ya'll eliminated at #25.

DJHazey likes this.
  8. Sing it to the heavens!

Sprockrooster and slaybellz like this.
  9. Twas about time y'all got rid of that JT...
    [​IMG]

All Britney kidding aside the production on Cry Me A River is nothing that innovative and sounds like a ton of other Tim songs. Auto pilot in opinion.

send photo likes this.
  10. This is just objectively wrong.

I may have inadvertently stolen that from someone calling one of my controversial Katy opinions out in the Reputation thread this morning. Sorry. Point still stands.

11. Genuinely surprised my 11 has survived this long based on what other cuts have happened pre-Top 20.

londonrain likes this.
  12. Exactly how is it wrong though? Does the beat boxing and vocal tics not reek of classic Tim? He'd already been doing that sound for years when Cry Me A River was made. It's classic Tim. I'm not saying it's bad, but it's nothing that new or innovative either. That's why I was so disappointed with Mirrors too..

13. I think I might object to this post more than the actual elimination!

londonrain, haps and DJHazey like this.
  14. The Gregorian choir was pretty new. Anyway, I went in detail about why the production is amazing in my commentary. Far from being on autopilot.

15. Sorry for no elimination yesterday, maybe we can make up for it today with two, if not tomorrow X.

[​IMG]

Aaliyah - Are You That Somebody?
    Score: 8,693548387

Highest score: 11 x 2 (@Jwentz, @Conan), 10 x 12 (@DJHazey, @tylerc904, @kermit_the_frog, @AshleyKerwin, @send photo, @slaybellz, @Aester, @ohnostalgia, @Serg., @Number, @K94, @Petty Mayonnaise)
    Lowest score: 5 x 1 (@dancingwithmyself)
    My score: 7/10

I mean, at least I'm not the lowest scorer which will be the case for another Aaliyah song later on ddddd. I don't know what it is with Aaliyah, I stan her and take her as one of the most influential modern R&B artists, but some songs in her discography just don't really do it for me.

Surprisingly, Aaliyah showed contempt towards the song the moment Timbaland introduced her to it. After some time she did assent, resulting in a recording session that didn't last longer than a few hours!

That being said, the fast process did leave behind a somewhat experimental sound in the production. The song contains some strange beats and twists that turn this into an adventurous but surely enjoyable record.

Taking all of this into account, this track does have its stunning qualities without a doubt.

"Are You That Somebody" was released as a single recorded for the Dr. Dolittle soundtrack. The song was sent to US pop radio stations on September 23, 1998. The baby voices in the track were sampled. Pitchfork Media ranked it at 8 on their Top 200 Tracks of the 1990s list. It received a Grammy Award for Best Female R&B Vocal Performance.

Firstly, let's get all the comments on the baby sounds out of the way (kidding still love y'all). iheartpoptarts (8,5) expected this to be a soundtrack for a movie starring Leonardo DiCaprio: "My first Aaliyah song, I think. I always assumed back then that the movie it was from must’ve had a baby in it. Apparently not." Someone help me finding the way out. Sprockrooster (9) thinks the babies are brilliant: "Timbaland showcased his genius production with this song using the baby sounds. Truly amazing." He really was ... original, yes. DJHazey (10) mentions, aside from the baby shouts, some more aspects: "Queen of falconry, queen of "baby vocal" samples utilized in a bop, queen of low-riding jeans that had me stanning for the video more than I'll get into detail about here."

tylerc904 (10) almost threw an 11 at this: "My runner-up here. Really one of those "classic" songs that fills me with nostalgia." send photo (10) would've given an 11 if this was an Aaliyah videography rate, stating that by calling this "Her best video!!" I'd say "Try Again" just because I like those mirror effects.

Heaven on Earth (9,5) knows someone who would give this full marks: "This was one of Aaliyah’s biggest hits, and it’s not hard to see why? Smooth vocals, unusual beats and loops, and just generally catchy all around, it makes for a great time. I even know someone online who is adamant that this is pop’s greatest moment. It’s hard to believe that Aaliyah originally didn’t care for this, because this is fundamentally and essentially Aaliyah. It still hurts me to know that it was only released on the soundtrack to Dr. Dolittle, a terrible movie." I'll just ignore the fact that you had to state the name of that movie. That leaves me wondering if ohnostalgia (10) would be able to ignore me if I'd make mention of the number '66': "I am here to avenge Aaliyah from the past crimes of the Winners Rate, Pt 1." Is this position deserved?

We end with Conan (11) who has a close connection to this: "This is the song which introduced me to R'n'B and it will always be in my Top 10 favourites of all time, so logically I knew right from the start that it would receive my 11."

The music video was choreographed by Fatima Robinson. There's a lot of choreography in it. It became very popular on MTV, peaking at 3 of their most played list in 1998. The video has two versions, with one containing footage of Dr. Dolittle.

Serg., GimmeWork, Number and 12 others like this.
  16. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

GimmeWork, Jwentz, send photo and 4 others like this.
  17. Aw, I'm proud it made it so far!

KingBruno likes this.
  18. @Untouchable Ace, what did you do to "Try Again"?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I'm pretty sure the entire office heard my pounding the keyboards as I typed that. Dddd.

19. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

This is just... disappointing.

20. Though I love Are You That Somebody I am glad it didnot win over both Try Again and More Than A Woman again (like in her discography rate). But it still hurts to see this go before top 5. But then again the same could have been said about her other tracks, Nelly Furtado and Missy. There isnot enough room in that top 5.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.