Timbaland Production Discography Rate - FINAL REVEALS [WINNER + RUNNER-UP] | Page 55 | The Popjustice Forum

Timbaland Production Discography Rate - FINAL REVEALS [WINNER + RUNNER-UP]

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by KingBruno, Aug 12, 2017.

1. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

The next elimination had better be Maneater. I’ll be very happy with the remaining top four.

And yeah, I used to hate Get Ur Freak On because I was listening a lot of actual Indian pop music at the time it came out and so the use of the tumbi wasn’t some great novelty for me. Plus the video was a bit left-field for me at the time (I’d never seen or heard of Missy until that song and it was all a bit spooky for baby @londonrain).

Over time it’s really grown on me, though, and honestly the Respect M.E. compilation doesn’t have a single bad song on it. Her discography is just that good.

2. The best Missy track is remaining but an 8 for me is a very good score.

Sprockrooster, DJHazey and londonrain like this.
  3. Yes. Nelly needs to lose something next. But it will be Justin I think.

But what does it mean having one Missy in this top 5? Will she win because of it? Or is Nelly looking more likely to sweep this...?

I honestly thought at the beginning of the rate Say It Right had zero chance, because of 'rate winner' backlash. But I just didnot expect to find both Aaliyah and Missy slander in a Timbaland rate. Now, I am clueless.

ohnostalgia and londonrain like this.
  4. I think Missy might take it, unless there's some low scorers hiding in the shadows and not coming clean.

londonrain and Sprockrooster like this.
  5. [​IMG]

@londonrain:
    [​IMG]

I feel numb. At least I still can go where the music takes me.
    [​IMG]

6. Criminal that this missed top 5!

7. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

How exactly is Justin going to lose a song now when all of his songs have already left?

8. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

I gave this an 8, which is a pretty damn high score. Redirect your Tyra gifs to @tylerc904.

9. No, that was in response to your "novelty" comment.

Though it wasn't a high enough score you gave. Dddd.

10. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

What? That riff - which is the best bit of the song - didn’t sound particularly groundbreaking to me at the time, but I still enjoy it.

11. Well, it was groundbreaking for being in an American hip-hop song. But it still doesn't mean that it was a novelty in any way. It was a good riff, plain and simple. Novelty has negative connotations, unfortunately, one that I didn't feel that "Get Ur Freak On" needed.

12. I thought SexyBack was still here. But no idea which one I thought wasnot here. I simply cannot count. God that next cut will be awful.

londonrain likes this.
  13. I understand the opinion of R&B being the most convenient genre for Timbaland, but can we PLEASE not underappreciate his impact on pop?

[​IMG]

Nelly Furtado - Maneater
    Score: 9,196774194

Highest score: 11 x 3 (@GhettoPrincess, @Terminus, @2014), 10 x 14 (@KingBruno, @Sprockrooster, @kermit_the_frog, @haps, @Heaven on Earth, @AshleyKerwin, @iheartpoptarts, @NecessaryVoodoo, @ohnostalgia, @Conan, @Serg., @Number, @K94, @Petty Mayonnaise)
    Lowest score: 2 x 1 (@Epic Chocolat)
    My score: 10/10

I don't know it with this track: I always refer to "Say It Right" as my favourite Nelly Furtado song, but everytime I hear "Maneater" I start to doubt if it actually is. Maybe it's because I don't listen to this one a lot, causing it to become more special? Whatever, what I'm trying to say is that this song is pop perfection. And no, I don't link that term to a pop song often!

Nelly Furtado herself stated that Timbaland put "creative energy" in this track, and that can clearly be heard. "Maneater" really speaks to me, mostly because I like the idea of it becoming some sort of "being superior" pop song that somehow makes you feel self-assured and fashionable. I know, I know, that sounds pretty stupid. But I can't deny the fact that it feels like a personal narcissism anthem that just needs to be there at times when you feel insecure. "Everybody look at me, me/I walk in the door you start screaming" is such a bitchy but passionate opening line.

As you may hear, this uptempo electropop song took inspiration from '80s music. Just like with what was the case for "SexyBack", Timbaland included both synthpop and rock effects in the process, while the lyrics are based on self-esteem. The rhythm can be described as full-on dance, which makes this a showy track on the album.

Doubtlessly, this song is a true outstander from the Loose era.

The song was sent to mainstream radio in the US in September 2006. The song received a positive reception from music critics, who compared it to Madonna and Depeche Mode. "Maneater" became one of Nelly Furtado's most succesful singles outside of North America.

All commenters gave this a 10 or higher ... except send photo (7,5): "Ddd I lived for this back in the day but it hasn't aged well." But how?! That outro literally is and always has been a highlight from Timbaland's career as a producer. Luckily Sprockrooster (10) does still appreciate it: "What a fucking song. What a bop." Nelly can pull off an uptempo song perfectly, can't she?

I wonder if iheartpoptarts (10) is comparing it to "SexyBack" in here just like I did before: "THE mid-to-late-00s Timbaland banger alongside ‘Sexyback’." In some way, I guess? Heaven on Earth (10) probably would disapprove a comparison: "Nelly Furtado’s best song. I won’t hear otherwise." You probably will on Popjustice one day. Now I said that, I believe ohnostalgia (10) prefers one of "Folklore": "If a Nelly song's going to win it better be this one!!!!!!!" Am I right? Tell me if I am.

Serg. (10) states that "Loose is really that album, isn't it..." It's incredible. haps (10) apparently needs more seconds today: "This bop got me in seconds back in the days." What happened?

GhettoPrincess (11) gave this a well-deserved perfect score: "That production is so entrancing and amazing. Nelly kills it with attitude and sex appeal. Probably one of my favourite songs ever, it’s that good. When you ask for a bop.... this is one of those special ones that should always be played." The producer's work on "Maneater" is out of this world, yes.

The music video was directed by Anthony Mandler. So You Think You Can Dance contestant Jamile McGee appears in it as a dancer.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    Serg., GimmeWork, Number and 11 others like this.
  14. Maneater is better than Say It Right, but I'm not surprised at y'all's taste being incorrect anymore.

15. K94

K94

We got Maneater as the lead single in the UK so for her to come out with that after being that cutesy girl with the hoodies and denim skirt, was mindblowing. Also the outro on the album version is everything.

16. I wish Maneater left before Get Ur Freak On but it is what it is. If Say It Right leaves next then i'll be happy with whoever wins.

17. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

My remaining scores are a 9.5, two 10s and an 11 and all of them are songs I absolutely love.

I guess I should want my 9.5 to go next (especially as it outlasted so many of my 10s - poor Tweet), but I really don’t want any of them to go.

Sprockrooster and KingBruno like this.
  18. Will never not be a tragedy.

londonrain likes this.
  19. I legitimately love Get Ur Freak On, but I recall going through and lowering some scores to be less than those of the songs I really wanted to win. I guess I was feeling harsh!

londonrain likes this.
  20. In hindsight I have to admit I went a little overboard with the amount of 10s I gave out in this rate. I was giving out 10s like Oprah's Favorite Things. Which resulted in me calling out for songs I gave 10s to, because they were making it further than my other 10s which I liked better. A mess.

The nostalgia really got the better of me while I was rating this.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.