Timbaland Production Discography Rate - FINAL REVEALS [WINNER + RUNNER-UP] | Page 56 | The Popjustice Forum

Timbaland Production Discography Rate - FINAL REVEALS [WINNER + RUNNER-UP]

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by KingBruno, Aug 12, 2017.

1. I'm a bit cross at this result.

1) Nelly Furtado having two songs in the Top 5, especially when the superior (Maneater) falls first. God willing, my deserved low-ball score for Say It Right will prevent a win
    2) More Than A Woman possibly outlasting Try Again (it pains me to imagine this) - brilliant bop? Yes. Top 5 in a Timbaland rate? It's fucking autpilot-Tim-by-numbers - I could name 5 more deserving Aaliyah tracks and all but one have bitten the dust so far...
    3) Get Ur Freak On is the most game-changing song/production by Tim (I gave Tweet my 11 only because I felt certain that this would comfortably win - shame on anyone scoring it lower than 10)

2. I knew Maneater wouldn't win but it's got a great average and made the Top 5 so I can't be mad. I'm rooting for Try Again now.

3. I 100% argue (constantly) that Respect M.E. is the best "all killer no filler" compilation since The Immaculate Collection.

Missy really deserves better in the public consciousness...

4. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Oh Folklore > Loose any day of the week. No contest.

GimmeWork, KingBruno and Jwentz like this.
  5. This Top 4 is bulletproof but now I'm hoping my 11 can sneak into the Top 3.

londonrain and berserkboi like this.
  6. Maneater (which my autocorrect keeps changing to Mandated - go figure!) is a fantastic song, no denying it but I just prefer the other 4 left. I can foresee More Than A Woman getting some harsh words now as it made it so far but for those people, please listen to that middle 8 again and tell me you didn't just hear euphoria!

7. Passion, instant.

Sweat beads, feel me.

Cupid's shot me.

My heartbeat's racing.

[​IMG]

Aaliyah - More Than a Woman
    Score: 9,259677419

Highest score: 11 x 3 (@tylerc904, @AshleyKerwin, @iheartpoptarts), 10 x 13 (@Sprockrooster, @GhettoPrincess, @haps, @Heaven on Earth, @berserkboi, @send photo, @LE0Night, @Jwentz, @slaybellz, @NecessaryVoodoo, @ohnostalgia, @Conan, @Petty Mayonnaise)
    Lowest score: 6,8 x 1 (@Untouchable Ace)
    My score: 7/10

I ended up being wrong! I overlooked the score of @Untouchable Ace, which means I'm not the lowest score for this track after all. A relief, but I must add that the score I gave wasn't that unpopular for this song. Honestly, I never expected this song to reach such a high position – especially not above the leagues of "Get Ur Freak On". The song itself doesn't really impress me, so I'm more than glad Aaliyah's true magnum opus "Try Again" beat it.

"More Than a Woman" is probably the furthest Aaliyah ever went from her familair R&B sound. The song throws elements of pop, electro and mid tempo hip-hop into the mixture, which turns this into a huge departure from Aaliyah's previously released material. It really demonstrates the start of Timbaland's interest for pop and electro.

"More Than a Woman" became a single in the United States in November 2001 and in the United Kingdom in January 2002. Aaliyah performed the song at The Tonight Show with Jay Leno on July 25, 2001, which became her last performance before her death. It received a nomination for Best Female R&B Vocal Performance at the 2003 Grammy Awards.

All of you gave rave reactions to the song, which makes me want to hide. haps (10) finds it "The best from Aaliyah." I'd say far from. Further he adds that it "Brings back so many good memories!" GhettoPrincess (10) has known this one for a while as well: "Still adore this and the video is iconic too."

Some announced a special part of the song as a highlight. Sprockrooster (10) comes for the hook: "Iconic chorus and holding up so well." Meanwhile, berserkboi (10) appreciates a moment from the middle eight: "A contender for my 11 for sure, that key she sings in for the middle 8 is glorious." That I can agree with.

Heaven on Earth (10) gives Timbaland's impact enthusiastic praise: "Maybe the closest Aaliyah ever went full-on pop, and it’s certainly a great musical moment for the early aughts. I love how this song is a mixture of both electro-funk and pop, because this brilliant combination illuminates her voice. Timbaland really outdid himself with this one. It feels as futuristic as the video did; it’s strangely understand how this song didn’t do too hot on the charts. But overall, as a song, I still get life to this one. This song is part of the reason why I’m sad that we never got a chance to see how Aaliyah could even match its brilliancy, but at the same time, I’m glad that at least she left on such a high note." Can I be extra? The production on "More Than a Woman" surely is striking, but is it really superior to Timbaland classics as "Cry Me a River" and "Get Ur Freak On", that lost to it? Not really... Anyway, ohnostalgia (10) would love to know more about the lyrical content: "But is he more than a man for you? Not that it's a high bar, but you know."

Two of the 11-givers left a comment! Let's start with iheartpoptarts (11) who had high expectations: "I feel like this should so obviously win. Hope I’m not the only one!" You're not, here's tylerc904 (11): "A masterpiece. Truly one of my favorite songs of all time, and despite Aaliyah's great vocal contribution, the production is the real star." Okay, I'll admit, those guitar chords are amazing.

Dave Meyers directed the music video. She dances in a Chanel catsuit and looks astounding in it. Its premiere was on January 7, 2002. I also added her last performance, I'd recommend not watching it if you're not in the mood to get emotional.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    Serg., GimmeWork, Jwentz and 15 others like this.
  8. Proud of it!

9. YAS at this excellent top 3. I can't believe it's a threeway between an R&B, hip hop and pop song!

TOP 3

VS.

VS.

2014, Serg., GimmeWork and 11 others like this.
  10. That is a brilliant top 3.

I fear for Aaliyah.

11. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Say It Right has to go next or I’ll call @Solenciennes to lock the thread.

12. Solenciennes

Solenciennes Staff Member

Don't think I won't do it, I have a low tolerance for mid 2000s production

13. Everything that's not 'Say It Right' is a 5 for me now. You've been warned!

My flawless 11 has been done wrong and I wanna see y'all rage.

tylerc and DJHazey like this.
  14. So you gave my 11 a 5?! It better be the lowest score it gets. But why do I fear even something worse...

15. Well, my other score is an 8, so it won't make any more actual impact in the end than if I'd given a 10 and two 7s.

(So does anyone else go into burn-it-to-the-ground mode once all their faves are out? No? Just me?)

Sprockrooster likes this.
  16. What? What? What? I can't even.

Poor Aaliyah. To be robbed of her rightful crown.

17. But I wanted to give her the crown!

Me and PJ are so not on the same page here.

DJHazey and londonrain like this.
  18. My average from what's left is 10.33 so I cannot be upset with this result and technically can pull for any of the three to win but what a great surprise would it have been for More Than A Woman to make top 3? Sad to see it go but it did marvelously here! Let's all listen to that glorious middle 8 again and yes Queen Aaliyah - We do wanna ride with you!

19. Damn my persnickety decimals. I thought I wasn't the low scorer and you thought you were.
    Still a good song.
    I wouldn't have put that Nelly song in the top 3.

20. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

6.8, though? How very... precise of you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.