Timbaland Production Discography Rate - FINAL REVEALS [WINNER + RUNNER-UP] | Page 57 | The Popjustice Forum

Timbaland Production Discography Rate - FINAL REVEALS [WINNER + RUNNER-UP]

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by KingBruno, Aug 12, 2017.

1. I only have 10s left but the order I want to see is:

1. Work It
    2. Try Again
    3. Say It Right

Therefore my prediction is that it will probably end up being:

1. Say It Right
    2. Try Again
    3. Work It

AshleyKerwin and kermit_the_frog like this.
  2. 3. Try Again (8)
    2. Work It (9)
    1. Say It Right (10)

Won't be extremely mad about any of them winning, but I wish "Are You That Somebody?" had been the Aaliyah song in this position then I could really back her winning with the rest of you.

3. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

I worry for Try Again's chances in the next Winners' Rate after this appalling position for Aaliyah in the first one:
    Say It Right will presumably not feature if it wins, as it's already been in the first Winners' Rate.

4. My top 10 for this would have been all Missy and Aaliyah tracks, especially since Nelly's tracks I think of more as Danja produced than Tim produced ...but here we are.. So I hope you all do the right thing and give the top spot to either Missy or Aaliyah!

5. What would you do, to get to me?

Is it worth it? Let me work it.

In the day. In the night.

What would you say, to have your way?

I put my thing down, flip it and reverse it.

Say it right. Say it all.

Would you give up, or try again?

Ti esrever dna ti pilf, nwod gniht ym tup.

You either got it, or you don't.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nelly Furtado - Say It Right
    Score: 9,338709677

Highest score: 11 x 1 (@Number), 10 x 23 (@KingBruno, @Sprockrooster, @GhettoPrincess, @Terminus, @DJHazey, @2014, @tylerc904, @haps, @londonrain, @Heaven on Earth, @berserkboi, @AshleyKerwin, @ufint, @send photo, @Jwentz, @slaybellz, @NecessaryVoodoo, @Epic Chocolat, @Conan, @Serg., @K94, @Petty Mayonnaise, @Furball)
    Lowest score: 5 x 1 (@kermit_the_frog)
    My score: 10/10

Nelly Furtado: "We had a song called "Say It Right," the song where we had effects on the vocals. Basically it's like four in the morning, and Timb's like, "Go home, you're tired." And I'm like, "Really? I'll show you," and put my little hoodie on and then I started to jam. Then Nate – he writes like a 100 beats a day – he and Timbaland and I started jamming on the song, and basically we produced it and wrote it as we went. So it got more intense as I kept singing. Then we went back and took the vocals we liked and perfected them. That particular song, we used four microphones in the live room and we moved them around, like every two minutes or something. That's why when you listen to it – there's a lot of dimension. It kind of sounds like he's in another country."

Very occasionally, it happens that a song reaches some kind of magical touch that leaves you astonished every fucking time you listen to it. It can happen that a certain composition works so well that it can be described as something exceptional. Let's play a game. Name ONE song that sounds in just one way similar to "Say It Right". That's tougher than it seems, or not? Now let's be honest, during Timbaland's career as a producer he did create beats that were somewhat alike – referring to "My Love" and "The Way I Are" especially. There have been moments when Timbaland wasn't the most innovative, if I may put it that way, but this record reached a new level of originality for him. Is it the techno groove that does the thing? Or could it be the sinister keyboard tune? I don't know, for some reason the song seems incomprehensible. After all these years, there's one thing that I've learned from "Say It Right": pop doesn't always have to be understood.

"Say It Right" is mysterious in a way that makes the track utterly remarkable. There's an underlying eerie turn hidden in it that makes you, surprisingly, long for more. It's so difficult to put this feeling into words because it comes from something that is inexplicably pleasurable.

The thing that makes this piece of music so thrilling is the fact that the song:
    - contstantly throws in hooks;
    - contains a production of upper-level.
    It's simple: the track is so good because they put many cleverness and will in it, and one with a proper listening ability should hear that. They've thought so well about seriously every single aspect. The heavy drum beats, multitracked vocals and the sorrowful theme behind the chorus all comes together to create one certain, specific mood. You either got it, or you don't. Right?

The song was released as the third single from Loose in North America and Australia. It became the album's fourth single in different European and Asian countries. It got a digital release in the UK. It was the fifth single of the album in Latin America. "Say It Right" was met with commercial success. In 2008, the track received a Grammy nomination for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance.

"Say It Right" is a masterpiece and everyone who doesn't say that is WRONG. Take for example kermit_the_frog (5), who is now confirmed rate villian: "The confusingly bad grammar of the chorus irritates me." Your score prevented this from taking the top spot, I'm just putting that out here. But oh, ohnostalgia (8) won't mind: "I will scream if this wins yet another rate. Let other songs shine!!!!" Here we have iheartpoptarts (8) being rude: "Pretty, but I don’t think this is the greatest thing ever like some people around here seem to." Only one person gave this an 11. SoWhatIsTheTruth.gif.

From now one, we only have commenters who lauded the thing! GhettoPrincess (10) knows its place: "Still amazing, her vocals, that repetitive beat that has my slowly bopping along. Pop heaven indeed." tylerc904 (10) says that it's "Probably a contender for the win, and rightfully so." It was number one for a pretty long time. send photo (10) wouldn't have been mad with it winning either: "I feel like this will probably win, I ain't mad at all. Get it queen." She didn't get it.

Serg.
    (10) answers a question that I have a disappointing answer to: "Honestly who doesn't love this song?" The lowest scorer. Heaven on Earth (10) justifies: "I really dig the sparseness of the beats. It just makes it so haunting." I know right? It's incredibly original as well. AshleyKerwin (10) doesn't feel the need to get into the details and simply calls it "Iconic." Easily.

It was an 11 contender for haps (10), yet it's not his favourite track on Loose: "My 2nd favorite from the album. So close to the big 11. Still works in 2017." It will work for all eternity, honestly. DJHazey (10) almost gave it the perfect score as well: "I fully expect that "Do It" has been eliminated by now, so y'all know this was the runner-up. Again. I know. I feel bad about it too because it finished second to "Poker Face" in the 00s #1's rate too. It deserves to be honored with my 11 in a rate but I've just had more recent moments with "Do It" and it felt right. This song will always have a special place in my heart too because it was one of the first pop songs I openly stanned for. I honestly would have burned CDs with like 15 metal songs on them and then "Say It Right" tacked onto the end. My Mom loved the song alot too, so I would always skip to #16 whenever she got in the car and play it on repeat. I have vivid memories of this on at like 11:30pm staring out the window at the moon and stars. Wow it really hits the spot in those moments because it's so damn ethereal. Just know that it will be a part of the multiple CD collection that becomes the soundtrack of my life." Yath.

We close with Sprockrooster (10) because we can: "An 11 in my heart. Just not in this rate. And that has nothing to do with Timbo. I just 11ed it so many times before I had to go with something else. This song is so good it has the power to snatch an 11 in an Anastacia discography rate. From that first time I heard it, it spoke to me. Absolutely everything is perfection about this track. The lyrics, the small production, but essential for this track. The message and the vibe in Nelly's voice. Emotional, but grabbing you with the balls." Do you hear that people: perfection.

I can't say that I'm lost and at fault. I can't say that I don't love the light and the dark. I can't say that I don't know I am alive. And all of what I feel I could show you tonight, you tonight.

Excellent. I could talk for ages about this song, but I can never say it right. The music video is directed by Rankin & Chris and was filmed in Los Angeles. What did Nelly have to say about the video? "It's so iconic."

Serg., GimmeWork, tylerc and 19 others like this.
  7. About time!

GimmeWork, ohnostalgia and slaybellz like this.
  8. TOP 2

TRY AGAIN VS. WORK IT

2014, Serg., kermit_the_frog and 10 others like this.
  9. Wow i'm pleasantly surprised! I love this song but it does not deserve the win. I'll be happy with whoever wins now.

10. An Aaliyah/Missy finale in the Timbaland rate just feels correct.

2014, Serg., GimmeWork and 12 others like this.
  11. Damn it, I wanted mayhem.

DJHazey likes this.
  12. Say It Right is so fantastic and yet the top 2 are somewhat even better. Pulling for my 11 to take it but happy if the other sneaks the win too...

londonrain likes this.
  13. K94

K94

Work It is a 10/10 bop, but it's no contest if it's a production rate. Try Again should win.

14. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

This song is so amazing - it’s in my top ten favourite songs of all time - and yet it’s only my second favourite song in this rate.

I’m disappointed to see it go, but my 11 is my second favourite song of all time and I want it to get its moment of glory here.

The other song remaining is also a 10 but was never going to challenge that song or Say It Right.

KingBruno, haps and berserkboi like this.
  15. Justice. It's what it gets for beating "Maneater" and "Get Ur Freak On" and "We Need a Resolution" and "My Love."

16. I'm happy for everyone and have no ill-will because it still made the Top 3 and the Top 2 songs truly are classics of pop, especially for this rate. xoxo

17. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

My hero.

18. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

I didn’t see this commentary from @kermit_the_frog for The Way I Are, though...

kermit_the_frog and AshleyKerwin like this.
  19. That's quite a statement against a song that you gave a 10, but okay sir.

londonrain likes this.
  20. Aaliyah really should be at the final with AYTS but it’s still a much better top 2 than what I thought we’d get.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.