Tinashe - Songs For You

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still don't understand why they didn't throw Player and Superlove on there. They fit sonically and sis needed the streams (Player did surprisingly well and has like 55 million streams on Spotify alone). Like I get they're old and she probably wanted to move on, but I hate that they're orphaned singles when they were supposed to be on the album originally.

I still don't understand why they didn't throw Player and Superlove on there. They fit sonically and sis needed the streams (Player did surprisingly well and has like 55 million streams on Spotify alone). Like I get they're old and she probably wanted to move on, but I hate that they're orphaned singles when they were supposed to be on the album originally.
They're on the Japan edition so they're not completely orphaned.
It was probably the label being cheap and not wanting her to exceed her track length cap?

he / him
Ooh, did I just stumble into a Joyride lovefest? To avoid listing the entire track list, "No Contest," "Ooh La La," "Stuck With Me" and the singles are all 10/10s. The rest of the album is very solid too. I know that we don't view it as a strong Tinashe album because we have very high expectations of her, but it is a strong album overall, in my opinion.

Last edited:

RainOnFire

Staff member
It still annoys me that they fit the album so perfectly but were abandoned. "Superlove" sounds right at home with "Ooh La La" and "Me So Bad", and "Player" with "Ain't Good for Ya" and "Stuck With Me". I can understand why she left them off and I maybe wouldn't have cared if they didn't mesh well with the rest of the album, but they do, and it still bugs me.

Joyride in general could've used some extra padding - I know a 36-minute runtime is the norm these days, but it felt so slight at the time after how rich and fulfilling Aquarius and Nightride were and both of those albums clocked in at 50+ minutes (so does Songs for You).

Didn’t she basically have to threaten legal action to get ‘Joyride’ out? The same lawyer was mentioned in the thank you notes as for Fifth Harmony’s last album. So I think it was a case of the label half-arsing the whole release.
Yes. It’s actually a surprise we got such great videos considering.

I’ll never forgive RCA for not letting her put out that Hitmaka album when Like I Used To and Throw a Fit were performing so well and if they just let her keep releasing she would actually kept reviving her career / got a hit or two out of the project. I know things turned out great with Songs For You, but if they just kept letting her do her own thing she would’ve been in a much stronger spot. Sigh.

Can I join in on the Joyride love please?

I’ve said it so many times before but Faded Love is one of her absolute best songs. To me, it’s like the sonic sister to Feels Like Vegas and despite the video just her dancing in one take, yet it is so captivating to watch speaks volumes of her undeniable star power.
No Contest really was and still is underrated, along with He Don’t Want It. Both sensationally good songs.

But I agree with everyone else here who has said that the sheer exhaustion caused by the whole stop-start nature of the era really sullied the album as a whole. Once the album was out instead of celebrating the music it felt more like everyone, Tinashe included, could finally move on from it and start over.

But ultimately we really won in the end as she went on to release modern day masterpiece Songs For You and her star and never been brighter.

TALENT! ALWAYS! WINS!

Superlove is an incredible song and I remember it got so much hate. And for what?!

Joyride is not a bad album, but in her discography — it just doesn’t compare. If I had to rank her albums:

Nightride
Songs For You
Aquarius
Amethyst
Reverie
Black Water
In Case We Die
Joyride

But that’s literally a slew of 9/10+ so even though Joyride is at the bottom, it’s still like a 7.5-8 out of 10.

It really is such a vibe, but I can never get over Future's verse on it being what it is ddddd. "Before I get my white girl up, before I get my Dominican girl up" always gets me off-kilter.
Alsjsjjsjs I literally always thought he was singing before I get my white girl up, before I get my half Dominican girl up, etc and it’s slightly different but his verse really is so bizarre dd
Before I give my white cup up
Before I give my white girl up
Before I give my half-Dominican girl up, I need real love
I'm on my fourth stripper of the day
I keep a full thoroughbred Jamaican

It's such a shame that TikTok (well, Musically did exist) came so late cause parts of this always felt very Tiktok-able. The "if my life was like a movie, I'd need 50 sequels" line is so quotable. Passionate gay should just start taking songs of their flops faves and tossing everything on TikTok to see what sticks.
It is absolutely time for PopJustice to step the fuck up and right Ms. Nashe’s wronged career. Every PJ user will now be required to make a TikTok account and will be participating in the #MeSoBad, #StuckWithMe, #NoDrama, and #ThrowAFit challenges. We will all be group liking and commenting on every post and a new thread will be made to group them all together. Every user that does not comply will be banned immediately.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.