Tinashe - Songs For You

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally we can move on from Taco Tuesdays.
Tinashe at every dumb decision made by RCA and her management over the past few years.
68yy.gif

I wonder if she’ll want to go down the label route again?
I’m also conflicted. Part of me wants her to fulfill her ‘bedroom’ producer dreams and go indie but at this same time I think a lot us on this forum would like her to serve a proper pop star era, and that requires a major label budget and infrastructure.

I think she should stay independent for a minute. Dawn Richard is a good comparison point IMO - a futuristic R&B artist building a strong fanbase outside of traditional channels, using the clout that her industry experience provides. I just hope she's not holding onto the idea that she has to be the next big thing right away.

They’re also the label that didn’t even promote Jojo’s album, and the ones that have been delaying Charli all this time, and are the cause of Rita Ora’s 2nd album delay. Atlantic is just as bad.
It was meant to be sarcastic as Atlantic have the tendency to sign our struggling faves. No big label is truly good but I do feel that she needs that kind of support for her next release.

I think she should stay independent for a minute. Dawn Richard is a good comparison point IMO - a futuristic R&B artist building a strong fanbase outside of traditional channels, using the clout that her industry experience provides. I just hope she's not holding onto the idea that she has to be the next big thing right away.

Dawn Richard often has a ‘Roisin Murphy’ moment of meltdown about no label / no money etc.
Dawn and Tinashe deserve the cash from a big label but I am still purplexed about everyone being thankful she’s dropped. Unless she gets snapped up by another big label she’s in an explicitly worse position.
RCA tried and tried, they may not of been huge budgets but she was still having glossy looking videos and splashy features up to ‘Me So Bad’.

They released Nightride & Joyride..ok with a lot of setbacks but they got them out.
Even Flames, as much as we may loathe to admit it, had a sort of purpose of ‘all the other girls are grabbing hits with a mediocre mid tempo...let’s try it’

Certainly it could of gone better but im certain that it’s 90% down to public’s questionable taste than labels disinterest. Of course we wish the label would push and push our faves, but with ever diminishing returns I don’t think you can say they didn’t give her a fair few goes.

I’d be more inclined to question management for not getting her name out there more, although with Dancing With The Stars & Rent coming up maybe they’ve changed too.

Good point re: Dawn and Roisin, but both of them are still artists with loyal fanbases, critical acclaim, and creative freedom, which is I think what Tinashe should be aiming for at this point. I do think Nashe's situation has been a little more complicated than just 'RCA fucked her up,' but it's been clear for awhile (at least since they botched All Hands On Deck's release) that they weren't doing her any favors. She originally got her deal on the back of self-released mixtapes, so she has the ability to get noticed on her own terms.

I want her to stay indie for a while to build a steady stream of releases again to hopefully regain some ground.

I could maybe see her never signing again, but I think more realistically she might seek a smaller contract where she’s still allowed to be self-sufficient just for the support and promo.

I think EMPIRE would be a really good fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.