Tinashe - Songs For You

Status
Not open for further replies.
He/Him
I mean, JoJo, the face of label issues, signed with another label the same day she was finally free of Blackground Records. Nowadays, she might not say that was the best decision, but at the time she felt it was the right thing to do.

The main thing big labels offer nowadays that smaller labels / doing it alone is promo opportunities, and she didn't exactly get them when she was with a fairly big label, so the world's her oyster for now.

I certainly agree she has the chops to make absolutely incredible music all on her own, in her bedroom. She's proven that so I'm all for her going down a quieter route for a little while- like Dawn, or even Diana Gordon this last year.

It will be very hard to let go of top 40 dreams though because out of them all, she is the one that should be having them, but I do think for those types of careers - authenticity IS the key to longevity and even building up a fanbase with each release, getting more and more peer respect, that makes people notice... so she really will have to deny the 'Chris Brown / Flames' opportunities if they happen to come her way.....

D

Deleted member 22552

This booking with RENT and Dancing With the Stars is still great to see. Keeps her in the public- even reaching a different kind of audience and keeps her performing and singing. She should continue making music independently and collaborating with all kinds of genres until she gets signed again. Just stay booked and busy

D

Deleted member 22552

I certainly agree she has the chops to make absolutely incredible music all on her own, in her bedroom. She's proven that so I'm all for her going down a quieter route for a little while- like Dawn, or even Diana Gordon this last year.

It will be very hard to let go of top 40 dreams though because out of them all, she is the one that should be having them, but I do think for those types of careers - authenticity IS the key to longevity and even building up a fanbase with each release, getting more and more peer respect, that makes people notice... so she really will have to deny the 'Chris Brown / Flames' opportunities if they happen to come her way.....
Plus it’ll give her the upper hand later on. People will respect her Better than hopping on a bunch of quick hits than muddy up the talent and ear she has

Certainly it could of gone better but im certain that it’s 90% down to public’s questionable taste than labels disinterest.

I mean, the GP does have trash taste, but I'm not sure about this. There have been plenty of songs with the same sound Tinashe goes for that have smashed. That's one reason it was so surprising that some of that top shelf shit on Aquarius didn't.

It's pretty much a fact that the record label does her a disservice, but I think it's likely that the industry is just over-saturated with acts and she kinda gets lost. She sounds, looks, and performs great, but I still maintain that she needs a some kind of hook to draw people in. Not a gimmick necessarily, but something that will make her distinct in people's minds. I know this is anecdotal, but when I play Tinashe for my non pop-enthusiast friends, I mostly don't get a reaction out of them at all. Or they immediately compare her with someone else.

Last edited:
Agreed as well, as a huge fan musically, I don't really seek to read any of her print interviews or youtube clips like I do other artists that I'm big fans of. And I don't wanna sound like I'm saying she has no personality or anything, I guess really I just don't know and neither did her label, it sounds basic but I guess it's just 'one of those things'. Anyway lets just hope she keeps releasing one way or another.

She just needs a label that will throw her some cash and let her go about rebuilding her career on her own terms. Too much of the last few years felt like a power struggle between artist and management, and she needs support/guidance rather than orders.

I just hope she feels free and comfortable moving forward.

Last edited:

Mar 5, 2010
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.