Tkay Maidza - Last Year Was Weird | The Popjustice Forum

Tkay Maidza - Last Year Was Weird

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Raisin Hell, Aug 21, 2014.

1. [video=youtube;XvzC4TfsrI0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvzC4TfsrI0[/video]

Post-M.I.A. pop rap from this Zimbabwean girl, jaunty and glitchy. She could've been one of those Diplo-helmed girls all those years ago.

(I DISCOVERED HER BEFORE PITCHFORK DOES IN TWO MONTHS. Ahem.)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  2. I was considering making a thread about this song for days. It's like M.I.A. meets Azealia.

She's Australian too!

nbtsa and linum like this.
  3. You too? Well damn. My list of potential entries is getting slim.

4. Huh. It's a dangerous game playing with majorly blogged about songs. The sad thing is there are probably like 6 other people waiting to snatch that hit entry.

But its kind of a Pop-injustice to try and keep this song a secret when it should be blaring from every convertible for the last few weeks of summer because it is so good.

5. Two new Tkay songs have emerged. Finish Them (kind of cheap-sounding and demo-y) and Wishes (AMAZING).

6. Definitely a name to look out for in the future.
    Her sound is evolving well for someone so young.
    Still dig Brontosaurus

7. Really liking U-Huh. now a free song on Aussie itunes this week!

8. A&E

A&E

"U-Huh" didn't do much for me the first few times I heard it but I checked out "Switch Lanes" after it featured in triple j's Hottest 100 (at #100 but still) and I'm a fan!

9. Switch Lanes is perfect. She sounds like baby Azealia on a Ryan Hemsworth-y beat.

10. A&E

A&E

11. M.O.B. sounds amazing! I really like the production. And I love that Tkay seems to always get the coolest beats and work with the most obscure, SoundCloud-based producers - kind of like MySpace-era Sky Ferreira.

12. Y*s!! Love it.

13. That was her? Oh wow.

14. I'm so late to the party, but she is all kinds of amazing and I hope we'll get more music soon. I'm currently obsessed with the Switch Tape EP and just love every single song.

15. She's been nominated for a BET award.

Vasilios likes this.
  16. Maybe a thread title change is in order? She just released Carry On and her debut album TKAY is out in Australia and the US in October. January for the UK and rest of Europe (of course). Looks like all new material too!

[​IMG]
    1. Always Been
    2. Afterglow
    3. Carry On
    4. Simulation
    5. Tennies
    6. Monochrome
    7. Follow Me
    8. Castle In The Sky
    9. Drumsticks No Guns
    10. State of Mind
    11. House of Cards
    12. Supasonic
    13. You Want
    14. At Least I Know

Exciting!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.