Tkay Maidza - Last Year Was Weird | Page 6 | The Popjustice Forum

Tkay Maidza - Last Year Was Weird

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Raisin Hell, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Island

Island Staff Member

It's an excellent release and probably her best to date.

2. I really like this. Absolutely loaded with scintillating production and hooks.

FINISH LINE likes this.
  3. They should have named this This Year Is Weirder (Vol 2).
    24k is that bop but really every song slaps.

phily693, 2014, Jonathan27 and 3 others like this.
  4. Oooo I like that. Gonna check her out.

5. Wait, I listen to this EP today with You Sad being my immediate highlight (alongside Shook) and it already has a video? Sometimes we do win!

6. My favourite bop on the EP!

phily693, 2014, thommyh and 5 others like this.
  7. 24k is MASSIVE. 2020 has kept me fed with music and absolutely nothing else.

8. I heard "You Sad" and "Don't Call Again" at random points of the year, but I'm finally getting around to hearing Last Year Was Weird, Vol. 2 in full. I'm floored.

Every time I think the production is going to stay one way throughout the entire song, she manages to subvert my expectations and deliver something fresh. She's special, yup.

Island, thommyh, IAmRockstar and 4 others like this.
  9. Yung Baby Tate collaboration coming soon?

Jonathan27 and superultra like this.
  10. Goude afternoon!!

11. I'm in love with her Pixies cover, it treats the original with the respect it's earned while staying away from being a straightforward cover rendition.

I'm gonna get into her discography.

Is there any highlights in particular?

klow, Island and Andy French like this.
  12. Island

Island Staff Member

Listen to her last EP, it’s the harder hitting version of her album.

Simulation, Carry On, Monochrome, and Follow Me are great cuts from her album if you wanna check those out too.

nooniebao and klow like this.
  13. Still think my favourite Tkay song is "U-Huh", it's so fizzy and enormous-sounding.

"24K", "Simulation" and "White Rose" are also wonderful, and in underrated / unknown corner, I liked her take on Kilter's track "They Say". But she's so reliably excellent in general that you can't really go wrong wherever you start.

LOVE "Syrup" and its menacing nonchalance.

Island and nooniebao like this.
  14. The music video for Syrup premieres today at 2 PM EST:

15. I discovered Shook Last week and now I’m obsessed. Just sat and listened to 24K which might be my new favourite, Where Is My Mind is another standout to me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.