Tom Petty RIP | The Popjustice Forum

Tom Petty RIP

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by little ern, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    Deleted member 26234 and imcal like this.
  2. Mary Jane's Last Dance's clever video got heavy TV rotation when I was a kid, certainly one of his best singles, I loved it. RIP

Deleted member 26234 likes this.
  3. Death does amazing things to your wikipedia page view stats.

Tom Petty discography:

1 October 2017: 387 views

2 October 2017: 44,116 views

Tom Petty wikipedia page:

1 October 2017: 2,711 views

2 October 2017: 2,133,306 views

These dates are set at an American timezone.

4. "One foot on the pedal, I was born a Rebel".

He always stood up against the industry's greed and bullshit. Put his career at stake in over the pricing of one of his albums, and refused to give up the master tapes of another until legal crap was sorted out. And then there's the concept of 2002's "The Last DJ".

The four-hour documentary Runnin Down A Dream is fantastic viewing.

5. This piece of genius was the only Tom Petty single I ever bought. Don't really know much of his catalogue but he did seem like he was one of the few good guys out there. Respect were it's due. R.I.P.

6. He really brought something to the Wilburys, despite being surrounded by musical heavyweights. Their first album is one of my favourites. I'll remember him for the songs, his hair and his signature hat.

7. I admit in 1989 when "Free Fallin'" came out I was like "Who is this guy?" I was more interested in Paula Abdul, Janet and Madonna and scoffed at his music. Of course, I was being ignorant.

Years later, I realized how great that song and his other songs are.

"Into the Great Wide Open" is a fantastic song and video. Faye Dunaway serving like a true diva.

8. Only have the Full Moon Fever and Into The Great Wide Open albums by him. And the first Travelling Wilbury's album, of course.

He was one of those artists who were hard to follow in the UK. Aside from the above, he never met with much success here. For me, he was an acquired taste and perhaps too American for our shores, if that makes sense. Like John "Cougar" Mellancamp!

Still, I always imagined him on stage somewhere, endlessly touring, so last night's news was a shock.

Incidentally, the same style R.I.P. thread on SHF stands at 43 pages as I write.

Two different worlds!

9. Indeed, two different worlds. Steve Hoffman is like the Dad Rock forum. Not a bad thing at all, of course. I learn a lot. And then there are some interesting pop threads in there.

I saw the Invictus Games Closing Ceremony the other night and Bruce Springsteen performed with Bryan Adams and Bachman and Turner closed the show and I was standing next to the ultimate Dad rocker doing air guitar and fake piano playing.

Petty had great videos, I must say.

10. I loved 'Learning To Fly'.

11. Couple of TV channels paying tribute to Tom (and the Heartbreakers) later tonight....

Sky Arts are showing their 2006 homecoming concert from Gainesville, Florida tonight at 10pm.

BBC Four are showing an edition of the Rock Goes to College series from 1980 featuring them in concert at Oxford Polytechnic tonight at 10.30pm.

12. "Don't come round here no more"
    "Runnin'' down a dream"
    "Free fallin'"

All classics for me!
    Great man - RIP Tom Petty

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  13. That was the single which made me aware of him for the first time; the video got some airplay here and David A Stewart's association (he produced and co-wrote the parent album Southern Accents) also helped it get more attention than he was previously used to.

The Wilburys were the best thing that could have happened to him, creatively. His album before that was a flop and sounded tired. After the Wilburys, he went on a hot streak of Full Moon Fever, Into The Great Wide Open and Wildflower. His dry humour perfectly suited George Harrison's offbeat style, too; my favourite Wilbury tracks are ones like Cool Dry Place (about your protecting all your muso gear) and Devil's Been Busy In Your Backyard.

He was a thorn in the industry's side and yet an iconic, respected figure in it as well.

14. I love Kings of Convenience cover of Free Falling.

15. I'm so sorry that it's true! He was way too young! Another musical genius has gone forever.

I loved him being part of the Traveling Wilburys. Into the Great Wide Open and Don't Come Around Here No More will live forever!

R.I.P!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2017
    Eric Generic likes this.
  16. Tribute airing tonight and repeated Sunday night on rage in Australia:

12:30am

TOM PETTY & THE HEARTBREAKERS Listen To Her Heart (shelter)
    TOM PETTY & THE HEARTBREAKERS Refugee
    TOM PETTY & THE HEARTBREAKERS The Waiting

1:00am

TOM PETTY Free Fallin' (MCA)
    TOM PETTY You Got Lucky (Independent)
    TOM PETTY Runnin' Down A Dream
    STEVIE NICKS with TOM PETTY & THE HEARTBREAKERS Stop Draggin' My Heart Around
    TOM PETTY You Wreck Me (Warner)
    TOM PETTY Room At The Top (Warner)
    TRAVELING WILBURYS She's My Baby (Warner)

1:30am

TRAVELING WILBURYS Handle With Care (Warner)
    TOM PETTY & THE HEARTBREAKERS Rebels
    TOM PETTY & THE HEARTBREAKERS Jammin' Me
    TOM PETTY You Don't Know How It Feels (Warner)
    TOM PETTY A Face In The Crowd
    TOM PETTY & THE HEARTBREAKERS Don't Come Around Here (BMG)

2:00am

TRAVELING WILBURYS End of The Line
    BOB DYLAN with TOM PETTY & THE HEARTBREAKERS Maggie's Farm (LIVE) ft. WILLIE NELSON
    TOM PETTY & THE HEARTBREAKERS Make It Better (Forget About Me)
    TOM PETTY I Won't Back Down
    TOM PETTY & THE HEARTBREAKERS Here Comes My Girl
    TOM PETTY & THE HEARTBREAKERS A Woman In Love (It's Not Me)
    TOM PETTY & THE HEARTBREAKERS Walls (Circus) (Warner)

2:30am

TOM PETTY & THE HEARTBREAKERS Change Of Heart
    TOM PETTY & THE HEARTBREAKERS So You Want To Be A Rock And Roll Star

17. Tom Petty was great.

18. BBC4 are repeating the "Damn The Torpedos" Classic Album documentary tonight. It's a good 'un.

19. Followed by a repeat of their 1980 ''Rock Goes to College'' concert which was shown last Tuesday night on BBC Four.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.