Tones & I - Dance Monkey | Page 5 | The Popjustice Forum

Tones & I - Dance Monkey

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by backstreetjoe, Feb 19, 2019.

1. The geepee really are tragically basic sometimes. Whew.

Mr_Matt likes this.
  2. It's far from the worst thing to stay at number one for a million years recently, and nice to see a female artist not attached to a male artist in any way* achieve that.

That said, I don't feel the need to return for her slightly drunk chipmunk vocals any time soon.

*there's no feature right??

3. Oh wow I just watched that for the first time.

4. I’m Aussie , and this song is embarrassing . As well as a painful reminder that rubbish dominates the charts , and people don’t have musical taste . Girl bye!

Fanatical likes this.
  5. I’m still hearing her introduced into the radio as a 19 year old amazing new artist. I mean, really.

6. Isn’t she 40 ?

7. The level of vitriol this song and artist receive on here still perplexes me.

Chris Lala, elektroxx and maneater83 like this.
  8. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Wait is she actually Australia's Honey G??? FFFF I can't!!!!!!!!

9. I've heard this song like twice so far and I don't think it's that bad but I can imagine how it can get annoying.

Fanatical likes this.
  10. I know this is really really late, but, I only heard this song for the first time this week (the power of a huge number 1 hit going unheard these days) and I’m just astounded that it’s managed to stay number 1 for so long. It doesn’t sound much different to anything that’s been in the charts for the past 4 years and the vocals are grating. I’m just really confused by it.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  11. I’m so so embarrassed this is number 1. I live in Australia , and I always say Aussie people don’t have music taste. Our charts and musical acts as of late are just terrible . But the strange thing is most people I’ve spoken to don’t know the song , and most teens hate the song . Either way , this song won’t be remembered in another 3 years .

Fanatical likes this.
  12. Looking at 2019’s biggest selling songs on paper, this year would be considered one of the worst for pop music since 2005 for me (thank god for Confessions), but, with so many great albums released this year that haven’t made the biggest impact, it’s almost the opposite.
    Muna, Bat for Lashes, Carly Rae Jepsen, Japanese House, Madonna, Pvris, Chromatics, Ladytron, The Cranberries, so many great albums. And then there are some bangers in the top 40 like Dua Lipa and Katy Perry. I’ve survived fine.

dodoriazarbon likes this.
  13. I think Aussies have sometimes questionable music taste, but we are producing world class acts who are building solid music careers touring globally.

Tones & I comes with the Triple J Unearthed pedigree that has been a launching pad for such artists as Grinspoon, Killing Heidi, Missy Higgins, The Jezabels, Courtney Barnett, Flume, Tkay Maidza, Tash Sultana, Amy Shark, Mallrat, Cub Sport, and G Flip.

I understand that audiences are increasingly building their own music niches, and it is easy to rarely or never be exposed to the biggest songs of the day. But it is undeniable that Dance Monkey has been an absolutely massive song both in Australia and around the world this year. It is literally the longest running #1 on the modern Australian charts. That's a record that is going to be remembered for a long time. Love it or hate it, you can't deny that it is a song which has defined the pop music landscape in Australia in 2019 - even if it has passed some people by.

BrokenHearts and elektroxx like this.
  14. This is my least favourite song of the year.

Annoying, mindless trash.

15. I just listened to this for the first time. How horrible.

16. Let’s not act like other countries don’t have questionable taste, I mean Crazy Frog and Bob the Builder went number 1.

17. I don’t think anyone is questioning the taste of Australia, it’s been number 1 in the UK for a long time, if anything the UK is the worst for allowing those listed songs to number 1 and it really is head scratching. I don’t put Dance Monkey in the same criteria as Crazy Frog and Bob the Builder though. More like Baby Cakes and FURB.

Mvnl likes this.
  18. This was a classic, that was a classic though.

Nothing like this nonsense.

19. [​IMG]

papatrick, FINISH LINE, K94 and 4 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.