Tones & I - Dance Monkey | Page 9 | The Popjustice Forum

Tones & I - Dance Monkey

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by backstreetjoe, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Real talk Gotye's album was good and Kimbra getting kinda lost in the indie-pop shuffle is an absolute injustice

2. I don't know. She's already had the massive follow up hit here in Australia, she might just buck the Gotye trend internationally when it gets an actual proper push once Dance Monkey slows down.

3. The success of this song is a slap in the face to both dancing and monkeys!

soratami and johnny_tsunami like this.
  4. I just looked up Gotye because I was curious and it looks like he retired after the release of Making Mirrors.

berserkboi likes this.
  5. Oh wow. Maybe he'd decided he'd peaked after all the subsequent follow up singles failed to chart anywhere :/

6. I don't mind this song, it is basic. Some of the vocals do sound odd.

7. Last I read about Gotye, which was a few years ago now, he was working on an album alongside a bunch of other music projects, but said he was enjoying the freedom to work on music on his own timeline, without pressure from a major label.

Crisp X, Andy French and elektroxx like this.
  8. 2012 was truly awful.

9. This is seriously a global-scale abomination of a track. Bury it in a time capsule and never dig it up again.

10. She’s touring and apparently the gig is 45 mins only and just 11 songs

11. People choosing to go and see her live deserve to be scammed.

12. I still am not getting the hype about this Monkey Chick.

Suburbia likes this.
  13. That’s 12 songs more than I’d want to hear.

Runawaywithme, stuaw and Suburbia like this.
  14. One of them is apparently a cover of Daft Punk's Lose Yourself to Dance.
    The ORDACITY.

15. The Gotye song was an amazing song though.

This song is okay.

BeingNormal, elektroxx, stuaw and 2 others like this.
  16. I think we all need to have an Avatar (the James Cameron one, not the animation) moment with this, in which we grin and bear it's success, and then we never speak of it again and by next year it'll be like it never happened.

BeingNormal, nikkysan and Andy French like this.
  17. Your hate for the song is magnified by the fact that she's fat. Youse can't let a big girl be great!

aux and strangekin like this.
  18. If hating this song makes me fat-phobic I'm at peace with that.

[​IMG]

BeingNormal, Lila, drewsky and 5 others like this.
  19. Two new songs are coming soon。

20. I've listened to Dance Monkey exactly once, barely remember much about it at all, and have somehow managed to mostly avoid it in public, but I have no desire whatsoever to re-familiarize myself with it.

...talent, I guess. I don't actively wish Miss Tones any ill will, but I'm just kinda shocked at something so...non-eventful becoming one of the biggest hits of the year so far. The comparisons to Gotye feel a bit forced - there are several moments in Somebody That I Used To Know that immediately capture the attention of the listener (the marimba/xylophone in the intro, the HUGE chorus, Kimbra's money note in her verse), and I can't say the same about this.

I realize this post is a bit "that's a lot for 'safe'" so tl;dr Imma just take a note from Liza and say that I hope she had a good time making it.

Subspace88 and Cutlery like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.