Toni Braxton - Spell My Name | Page 10 | The Popjustice Forum

Toni Braxton - Spell My Name

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Voicething, Apr 6, 2020.

1. OK, I was shocked at Toni missing the top 50, but I gasped seeing she debuted at #163.

Pop Life and londonrain like this.
  2. Did anyone even know this was out? If I wasn’t a member of PJ I’d have had no idea.

3. I'm more shocked you expected a boutique release without a hit by a heritage artist in the middle of a pandemic to chart better dd.

TRAVVV and Pop Life like this.
  4. It honestly isn't all that shocking. There's been no promotion and there's no real hit.
    It's not like public interest has dropped off massively since Sex & Cigarettes, or that the material is unmarketable, people just aren't aware.

Crayons likes this.
  5. As am I!! Wow... I thought the UK position was bad but never would have dreamt she’d debut this low in the U.S.

“Do It” was #1 on adult R&B was it not? That’s as big a success an artist like Toni could really aim for these days (for a single).

WhatKindOfKylie? and londonrain like this.
  6. Guys, Katy Perry, THE Katy Perry sold 50,000 (35,000 pure sales) copies last week. With a huge budget, Idol, baby, 9 formats, 34 videos etc. Albums are ded.

Pop Life, TRAVVV and Euphoria like this.
  7. Toni just seems like the type of artist who can shift a little bit on name alone. Brandy just debuted at #11 after 8 years away.

8. If you weren't a fan of hers, or on a forum like this, you'd have no clue this album was a thing.
    Even when she dropped the "Dance" Audé remix out of nowhere, it felt like a one-off "what the hell, new Toni!" moment... it's a shame.

Pop Life likes this.
  9. I mean, Sex & Redacteds didn't have a hit either, and while it probably had better promo than this it was hardly given a huge push.

If this was her first album in years it might be less shocking, it's just weird that she released an album in the streaming era just 18 months ago and got to #22 and here she is now 140 places lower.

10. Long As I Live was everywhere come on, girl. The singles were much more visible. Love, Marriage & Divorce had been a success leading to Sex and Cigs. And she was coming off nearly a decade away, people were curious. This is just another album. Also going from Def Jam to Island... the budget for everything must've been slashed.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
    Up Down Suite likes this.
  11. There was 0 buzz for this. I forgot it was coming out myself. Nevertheless, it's so so good.

Vasilios likes this.
  12. I did think it would at least make the top 100 in the US!!

londonrain likes this.
  13. I know it's not on topic but I've been bumping her debut's 2-Disc reissue the past few days and I am absolutely gobsmacked I ignored this for so long:

The funky bliss of it all.

RainOnFire likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.