Toni Braxton

Always great to see love for Libra, my favourite Toni record.

He Wasn’t Man Enough remains her finest single though for me at least.
Major agreement with all of this. Libra is a great low-key, smooth, romantic R&B record. Hooks all over the shop. Even if Take This Ring is a shocking 1 Thing knockoff dd. I want it on vinyl.

I woke up craving He Wasn't Man Enough yesterday after not listening to Toni in ages, and spotify's autoplay got stuck in a late 90s R&B groove, also gave me The Heat and You're Makin' Me High over the day... and honestly, work. Toni's underrated, her voice is such a one off. She just doesn't have quite the body of work she could/should have had.

londonrain

Staff member

They really couldn't have picked a better quote for the headline??

They did her dirty with that video title.

Not the “free R. Kelly” comments landing on that video without realising this was literally 1996 and we didn’t know all the things we know now…

(Also, even if she didn’t like him she was hardly going to say that at the time, was she?)

The Heat (track) is one of her absolute finest… other than The Art Of Love (which I also love) am I right that she never worked with Keri again even though they were married for another decade afterwards? Their musical pairing was magical…

EDIT - Just checked and More Than A Woman and Libra demand my further investigation - he’s credited on multiple tracks across both and I feel like a bad/part-time fan…

Yeah, Keri co-produced 95% of Libra. In my opinion, it’s her strongest album post-Heat. I wish “What's Good” had been a single as it’s my favorite and it such a mid-tempo jam but alas, there were too many strong single choices.

'The Heat' is a strange album. It is noticeable that, even having 12 songs, there's a feeling of the whole thing being rushed to have a complete product and launch it on the market without even blinking and thinking if it would be sustained over time. It is evident that they did not even have the second single in mind or what its development would be like after releasing the first one. And, the elephant in the room, the lack of bops after selling the album to us as an upbeat rnb affair with 'He Wasn't Man Enough'. I've had to reorganize the album for years to have a tracklisting that wouldn't let me fall into a deep sleep after song 4 or 5. Anyway, it's not my favorite Toni project, but at least it marks the beginning of her modern era.

Singles:

He Wasn't Man Enough.
Fairy Tale.
The Heat.
Gimme Some.

Edit:
-- Mark 'The Act Of Love' as an interlude. Add 3 bops. Dump 'I'm Still Breathing' as a Japan only bonus track.

Last edited:
Did they flop though? Or did they not get full releases in the UK? I recall some shambles with Spanish Guitar on import being the only way to get the dance mixes for a time?
I believe only He Wasn't Man Enough was released in the UK, but the other 3 singles certainly missed the mark on the Hot 100, and did a bit better on other charts:
Just Be A Man About It: Pop #32, R&B #6
Spanish Guitar: Pop #98, R&B #75, Dance #1
Maybe: Pop #N/A, R&B #74, Dance #11

I believe only He Wasn't Man Enough was released in the UK, but the other 3 singles certainly missed the mark on the Hot 100, and did a bit better on other charts:
Just Be A Man About It: Pop #32, R&B #6
Spanish Guitar: Pop #98, R&B #75, Dance #1
Maybe: Pop #N/A, R&B #74, Dance #11
It does all seem very strange that she went from being perhaps one of the biggest female singers of that time to flopping in the space of months when her music was still pretty amazing! I still adore her voice and the majority of her music.