Toni Braxton

I'm no Billboard Hot 100 expert but the 90s/00s was often when US labels didn't release proper singles physically to push album sales so perhaps that was a factor?

That could have been one of the reasons, for sure.

Also, I don't think it helped that Toni had issues with LaFace Records, which were seemingly resolved when she released The Heat. Also, going on Oprah and being reprimanded by Oprah about her finances. Personally I always felt bad for Toni. I've had my own financial hardships and would not even dream of discussing them on television, so I sympathized with Toni being blasted on television so publicly.

Last edited:
I got into Toni a few years ago and she has some absolutely gorgeous songs, and all her albums are really strong. I feel like she’s essentially a two-hit wonder in the UK when there’s so much more to discover.

I adore How Could An Angel Break My Heart, Maybe, The Heat, What’s Good, Shadowless, Lies Lies Lies, and Hands Tied.

Deadwood was absolutely gorgeous too, 100% deserved to put her back on the map.

If Toni had released 'Long As I Live' in her peak it would have been a #1 hit, another perfect example of how ageist the music industry is
This has been one of my most-played songs since it was released and that album is probably my favorite of Toni's. I love her voice, but have found her other albums pretty patchy.

Toni is a case of multiple wasted opportunities and taking too much of break between album releases, which made her fanbase not so solid in the long run.
I agree, I think the bigger and most career derail break was the gap between Secrets and The Heat when she was at her peak. 3 years was a long time in a ever changing chart world.

What would you have chosen as singles from Libra, guys? I think that's was always a hard project to make a success, especially considering the aforementioned health issues and coming from an album flop.

I thought the singles were fine from "Libra" - it just wasn't promoted properly at all.

"Take This Ring", "Trippin" & "Please" were all good songs.
Do you think so? Even if it's one of my faves from her, I do believe 'Please' was a boring lead single. 'Trippin' sounds so much more like the rest of album.

That could have been one of the reasons, for sure.

Also, I don't think it helped that Toni had issues with LaFace Records, which were seemingly resolved when she released The Heat. Also, going on Oprah and being reprimanded by Oprah about her finances. Personally I always felt bad for Toni. I've had my own financial hardships and would not even dream of discussing them on television, so I sympathized with Toni being blasted on television so publicly.
"You ain't got Gucci flatware because you didn't wanna buy it, it's not because you couldn't afford it. What do you mean?"

I do think Toni missed Oprah's point, which was that being able to afford something (or in this case, believing you can) isn't a good reason to buy it. She could have done a better job of phrasing it though.

Sorry for the double post, but had to say I've been bopping like it was Y2K to these trilogy of The Heat throwback jams today, and on a nice (for once!) sunny and warm day, they are the perfect soundtrack.

RainOnFire

Staff member
If Toni had released 'Long As I Live' in her peak it would have been a #1 hit, another perfect example of how ageist the music industry is
I will say I find it impressive that Long As I Live has 31 million streams on Spotify, Deadwood was the first single from the album and only has 4 million streams. It's also still in her Spotify Top 10 along with the debut/Secrets/The Heat singles which is pretty amazing! But you're absolutely right that it would've been way bigger in a fairer universe.

I will say I find it impressive that Long As I Live has 31 million streams on Spotify, Deadwood was the first single from the album and only has 4 million streams. It's also still in her Spotify Top 10 along with the debut/Secrets/The Heat singles which is pretty amazing! But you're absolutely right that it would've been way bigger in a fairer universe.
Everytime As Long As I live gets AirPlay on italian radios I get surprised as it happens more often that I’m expected to.
Last time I was parking and I just sat in my car with the engine off until it had finished. It has been a Popjustice moment.