Too Much New Music | The Popjustice Forum

Too Much New Music

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Deleted member 5343, Oct 5, 2018.

1. I literally downloaded about 8 new albums today, some from artists I know and some that I don't but the previews sounded interesting and I wanted to listen.

I love that we can access music so readily now and that we have so much to choose from BUT I also find I just don't have as much time to invest in new albums as I used to.

Back in the day of buying CDs or even illegally downloading music it seemed like I only really had one or two albums a month I was listening to.

Nowadays, thanks to Spotify and just the abundance of music available I feel swamped.

Anyone else feel the same?

2. It's really just a reflection of how things have changed in the way we are presented with new music, and the different, more instant options available to hear or read about it.

Take any moment in the 1980s or 1990s, there were dozens of new albums released all the time, even just the high profile ones that had a chance of making the Top 75/100 were in double figures each week. The difference was our personal access to all this information was limited to what the music press would feature, and even the record store displays would only focus on the bigger releases, and the other albums would be quietly snuck into the A-Zs.

I used to think I paid pretty close to attention to what was coming out each week, even if I couldn't actually afford to buy more than one or two albums at a time, and yet I am still discovering dozens of albums and artists that managed to slip under the radar despite reading Record Mirror, Smash Hits, Q, and some of the inkies.

Dr Pop, Dave and Deleted member 5343 like this.
  3. I wish there was more time to digest the music. I have trouble giving every album the attention they need now a days.

4. I do feel it.

The internet has changed the game so much.

Back in the 90s I just listened/bought whatever was presented to me, but now I can just sample anything with a click and in the end I feel I have some sort of musical ADHD.

A song or two might stick, but next Friday there’s something new and the novelty is gone.

Also, having access to what they’re doing in markets like South Korea and Japan makes it even more overwhelming.

But it’s better for the artist in the end, I guess.

5. jtm

jtm

I have trouble finding enough music because Apple music continues to recommend the same old shit to me.

Eric Generic and Dave like this.
  6. Olly Murs, his impact.

In all seriousness though, I feel really behind when it comes to exploring new music - mostly because there's so much and it's all so readily available that I never know where to start. Same with the never-ending list of podcasts people keep recommending.

Eric Generic likes this.
  7. I'm really happy. It's made it so very easy for me to pick and choose exactly what suits my taste out of the whole entire world and scrap the rest.

Eric Generic likes this.
  8. Stream #AStarIsBorn on Spotify!

9. That's why I find curation absolutely essential right now on any music streaming service. The sheer amount of content is just too overwhelming other wise.

10. Island

Island Staff Member

I mean the amount of new music we’re interested in is based on who were interested in. You’re able to listen or catch up any time you want. Some days may be overwhelming for new music if there’s a ton people you like releasing on the same day but it’s not really a problem. It’s a good thing.

I didn’t really have much to look forward to today in terms of new music but I found out last night that 3 people I follow have released music today.

11. There's so much music out there and the fact that it is released on the same day makes it easy to leave something behind, but in the end it is much better because you can find out something good that you probably wouldn't have discovered back in the day.
    The real problem is that there are very few songs that stick for a long time, most of them get old after a week or two.

Deleted member 5343 likes this.
  12. I still haven't got used to the switch from Monday to Friday for new releases.

Today would be an unsually memorable release day for me, since KT Tunstall's new album is out, and the Lindsey Buckingham Best Of is too. But most weeks are a blur of meh.

Deleted member 5343 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.