Top 150 Best Selling Stock Aitken Waterman Singles | The Popjustice Forum

Top 150 Best Selling Stock Aitken Waterman Singles

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by gezza76, Jul 22, 2013.

1. [​IMG]

Good day to you all.

Well that time has come to start a new thread and sadly for some, we're going back to the 80s, but also a fair slice of the 90s and some 00s in here too, enough for all. With a work rate to shame redOne, Timbaland, and David Guetta, Stock Aitken and Waterman virtually ruled the chart and the airwaves of the late 80s and very early 90s before it all fell apart. They had a connection to at least one record in the top 20 from early 88 to early 90 and were, initially, very sought after producers who were the darlings of club land from around 84-87. Two incidents altered this, firstly S/A/W’s approach to the sample on “Pump Up The Volume” alienated the music industry with its hypocrisy and secondly when they turned their hand to producing soap stars which lost them a considerable amount of “credibility”.

Anyway prepare to be amazed, and not necessarily in a good way, as we count down the top 150 best selling singles to be either produced and/or written by at least one of them. In doing the research for this I am indebted to MFR, Discogs, Polyhex, Wikipedia, and You Tube, all of which helped to decide what was actually produced/ written by them and what wasn’t. Thanks also to books by Waterman/ Aitken/ and Harding. I've also included tracks which were produced at the "Hit Factory" but not by them personally (and only in the case that the main radio mix for the track was produced by them or Phil Harding/ Ian Curnow or Pete Hammond).

Downloads have been allowed for although not an awful lot has sold on downloads by my estimation- make of that as you will!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  2. Well I was almost right........

and YAY for this thread!

*cue Baby Clyde grumbling about the end of 80s pop music*

3. Good grief.

Has this list been made just to torture me???

Not just the end of 80's pop but the end of pop music (And stars) as we knew them.

There's some great stuff in there but LOADS more utter shit.

4. Well I expected MORE vitriol from you sir! Even as a fan of most of it there is some SHAMEFUL stuff on this list, but the gems make up for it!

5. TeenIdle

TeenIdle Guest

Who? I don't know 'em.

(Just to make Baby Clyde feel old though, really)

6. Well this is based on sales so at least we are spared the horrors of Kakko, Mandy Smith and (most of) Big Fun.

7. As I always say 'I don't feel old, I feel superior'.

bichard likes this.
  8. But we're also going to have to face the horror of neither 'Better The Devil You Know' or 'What Do I Have To Do' being anywhere near the Top 10.

9. Is this a UK sales thread Gezza?

10. Yes Just UK sales- 'Tis all I know!

11. Pye

Pye

Yay.... looking forward to this (well maybe the lower reaches of the chart anyway)

12. If only that was the worst crime on this list!

13. invertedbutterfly

invertedbutterfly Moderator

It's a shame none of Sybil's better singles will make this list. At her best, she's one of my all-time favourite artists, but her couple of big S/A/W singles aren't amazing. (Actually, they're Stock/Waterman not S/A/W, I think).

14. I am thrilled about this list, I already know it's going to be my favourite rundown you've done! I hope it will change a few people's minds about how many amazing, classic pop songs SAW made (yes Baby Clyde, I mean you! Ha ha).

15. I wasn't far off with my guess at top 200 hits by females beginning with S and ending in A! We'll surely see Sonia, Sinitta and maybe Sabrina in here!

16. I guarantee it won't.

If anything it will confirm everything I've known for 25 years.

17. It probably won't..just so you know! HA. I'm jammin to some S/A/W classics now as I do a few write ups.

18. The biggest crime (aside for the aforementioned Kylie tracks) would be the absence of "I Don't Believe In Miracles" and "Love, Truth & Honesty" at the top of this chart....

burntoutcar likes this.
  19. We could get in the mood with these? After all there is nothing more S/A/W than a cut-and-splice job megamix!

[video=youtube;NhYFuLtVJU8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhYFuLtVJU8[/video]

20. K94

K94

Josh Dubovie for the win!!

phoenix123 and Baby Clyde like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.