Top of the Pops BBC4 Thursday/Friday 7.30pm | Page 1001 | The Popjustice Forum

Top of the Pops BBC4 Thursday/Friday 7.30pm

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by idratherjack, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Sometimes (Erasure) the General Public (Tenderness) can be wrong! (Depeche Mode)
    There are at least ten PSB singles after "Go West" that were better than that cover!

Before
    Se a vida e
    I don't know what you want but I can't give it anymore
    New York city boy
    You only tell me that you love me when you're drunk
    Home and dry
    Miracles
    Flamboyant
    I'm with stupid
    Love etc
    Together

2. I love most of those, but you'd be hard pushed to find someone off the street who could hum any of them!

Servalan and Hairycub1969 like this.
  3. I feel like Together is the most phoned in single of PSB's career.

Love etc is on a par with their imperial phase.

Miracles is DESPERATELY trying to be 'Frozen'

Blaahh, simpsonaj and Hairycub1969 like this.
  4. Pet Shop Boys dare I say it, never quite hit the same heights again after Discography in 1991, the Very era of 1993-94 aside.

5. "Actually" and "Introspective" are their masterpieces!

6. I'd add "Behaviour" to that list.

7. Enjoying the biggest hits of 1995 on BBC2 tonight.

Also enjoyed Kylie singing the wrong lyrics for Where the Wold Roses Grow, she sang the first verse twice instead of singing the second verse… wonder if anyone noticed

Wishlight, Servalan, CDMCLP and 4 others like this.
  8. Yes, and yes! Introspective is such a spectacular record and never a dull moment.

9. I agree, Together is awful as a greatest hits bonus track. It sounds awful next to the classics

letuinmybackdoor likes this.
  10. Best thing about Story Of 1995 for me, was seeing the launch of the show's namesake magazine. Must admit, was always my go to music mag over Smash Hits as I was growing up in the late 90s/early 00s and getting properly into music.

And naturally, LOVED seeing the Kylie co-cover her, in all her mid 90s red hair beauty glory phase!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Yess I vividly remember the launch of TOTP Magazine. It was only about 6 months after I'd started listening to the charts and watching the show and I'd not got into Smash Hits so the first issue was the first magazine I bought. I stupidly got rid of them all but have, at some expense, in recent years managed to collect about the first 15 issues plus a couple of later ones.

I'll try to get them scanned in at some point - perhaps I'll get round to it to do it in tandem with the TOTP '95 episodes on BBC Four?

12. I bought any mid 90s magazine that featured Deuce

[​IMG]

13. Some of the early issues came with a free cassette too. Amazing value really £1.25 for a magazine and a tape.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. I'd agree with this only to say that "Stay With Me" and "Fingers And Thumbs (Cold Summer's Day)" are the exceptions that prove the rule.

Also, I really rate Loveboat, so come at me. The real rot starts after that.

letuinmybackdoor likes this.
  15. Never seen this before! I want to read the interview.

16. Presumably they recorded a few different potential endings to the 1995 Christmas episode? I remember watching the repeat of it on BBC4 in the run up to Christmas last year and being a bit confused that they announced Mike Flower Pops as Christmas no.1 when it was Jacko that year. Just watched The Story of 1995 and they showed Jack Dee and Bjork announcing Jacko as Christmas no.1 so that version was definitely filmed. Wonder why BBC4 showed the wrong ending last year?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
    Servalan and Hairycub1969 like this.
  17. I guessed they just figured it would be nice for fans to see the alternative version because it had an unseen performance by Mike Flowers Pops? Either that or it was just a mistake.

18. In the words of Men at Work:
    It's a mistake!

19. You know 90s pop music has been turned on its head when in the 2020s Mike Flowers Pops is regarded as being more worthy of being shown on the BBC than Michael Jackson.

20. Erasure's Pop really is sublime. 20 tracks over nearly 80 minutes - for more than 25 years it was my longest CD in duration. And all the single covers and chart positions in the booklet!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.