Top of the Pops BBC4 Thursday/Friday 7.30pm | Page 1012 | The Popjustice Forum

Top of the Pops BBC4 Thursday/Friday 7.30pm

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by idratherjack, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Has anything been said as to when the shows from '93 will start off yet?

2. Further proof that Jon was the hot one from East 17 .

Rooneyboy likes this.
  3. Nope, but I see no reason why they wouldn't just follow on immediately - unless they want to repeat Story of 93/Big Hits 93 again so soon after the BBC 2 airing. So we're looking at last week of May/first week of June I suppose.

dangeleyes, Rich T and Eric Generic like this.
  4. Yet I would say this is actually a better production than anything Jam and Lewis produced.

*puts my tin hat on*

Wishlight and Hairycub1969 like this.
  5. Oooh fighting words.

It *is* sublime, I wrote on my blog that it was possibly the greatest brit-soul/funk/pop type thing ever.

But better than Just Be Good To Me? Or some of the Control/RN1814 tracks? Or Fake? Or.....

6. I would say yes, don't get me wrong most Jam and Lewis Productions were better than S/A/W productions but Say I'm Your Number One was just so polished and crisp, it still sounds perfect all these years later.

Eric Generic and Hairycub1969 like this.
  7. SAW were amazing from 1984 to 1986. From later Summer 1987 they went downhill for me.
    "Say I'm your number one" was probably one of their best arranged/produced songs as it doesn't sound like a typical SAW record. That's it's appeal to me!

8. It's 80s R&B/Soul PERFECTION.

Servalan and Hairycub1969 like this.
  9. What is this madnesssssssss when 1987 and 1988 were the best PWL years.

AbSynth, Wishlight, carlbob and 2 others like this.
  10. 1988, is probably my favourite Hit Factory Year. With Say I'm Your Number One, being my favourite my pre 87-89 SAW song.

Rooneyboy and Hairycub1969 like this.
  11. I think you all know by now that I love early SAW ...and after the "Pump up the volume" debacle it all went downhill for me!

Servalan likes this.
  12. I'm following the A Journey Through SAW podcast, and they've reached mid 1987 with Rick Astley. They cover every song released - the hits and the misses.
    What's interesting is that, at this point, it's 'Toy Boy' etc. that are the hits - not the more 'credible' stuff. It just seems to be what the music-buying public wants from SAW.
    It's clear that Pete Waterman has a business to run, a studio to keep up, and had a lot of flops before this - so I get why he decided to 'make hay while sun shines'.

13. "Youthquake" is the album which really drew me to SAW in Spring 1985 - still in my Top Ten albums of all time!

Servalan and lob0to like this.
  14. I miss the SAW era on the Top Of The Pops repeats must admit!

blod and idratherjack like this.
  15. Full artist and crew photo for the 1500th episode courtesy of @MarkFranklin123

[​IMG]

16. That's such a cool photo, must have been quite an honour for him to host that particular show also.

idratherjack likes this.
  17. So I thought I was a reasonable fan of Heaven 17 but it didn’t strike me that all 3 of them plus Carol Kenyon were on TOTP or do I need glasses?

Hairycub1969 likes this.
  18. I can only manage one of these at a time, and I'm starting to think I should just give up on them altogether. For the last several episodes I've been alternately bored and hurling abuse at the television. Tonight was no exception.

Utterly generic remix of a classic H17 song? FUCK OFF.
    At least three terrible cover versions? FUCK OFF.
    Whitney's hymn to totalitarianism? FUCK OFF.

Wishlight, lob0to, Alan and 2 others like this.
  19. Yes, a very high number of old songs either being covered or performed by the original acts. And the unnecessary inclusion of Sonny and Cher’s I Got You Babe made that even worse. Cher even had a new song in the lower reaches of the top 40, but they ignored that (oh, wait, that was a cover version as well). I don’t remember it being this bad!

Hairycub1969 and Eric Generic like this.
  20. Nope, to my eyes I could only see Glenn and Carol....a couple of young keyboard Brians in the background. If Martyn Ware had been there (oooh, a poet...) the camera would surely have at least glanced upon him.

Hairycub1969 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.