Top of the Pops BBC4 Thursday/Friday 7.30pm | Page 1019 | The Popjustice Forum

Top of the Pops BBC4 Thursday/Friday 7.30pm

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by idratherjack, Mar 13, 2017.

1. It got to number 19. The album peaked at number 152, and nothing else they released charted in the US.

Whatever the racial make-up of the group, they were always going to struggle over there - what did they have to offer that dozens of homegrown R&B girl groups weren't doing just as well or better?

2. The TOTP repeats from 1993 start on Friday 3 June:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0017wtw

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0017wty

3. You're right and I apologise – their Wikipedia discography page is really misleading as there is no column for the US, which makes it look like they had no success there.

I'd also agree with you re them facing stiff competition in the US – the UK did not have top notch R&B writer/producers like Jermaine Dupri, Darkchild, LA & Babyface and many more, and while I love some of Eternal's singles, I'm not sure they have all stood the test of time that well. I would say they also had a profile issue – here, they were just as much a pop act as an R&B act (possibly more so), whereas in the US, artists like TLC, SWV and Destiny's Child plus others further down the pecking order (Xscape, 702, Total) very much started as R&B acts who crossed over to pop. Which kinda left Eternal floating in between …

Island, Mike, dangeleyes and 2 others like this.
  4. [QUOTE="Mike, post: 8537074, member: 6893"
    Whatever the racial make-up of the group, they were always going to struggle over there - what did they have to offer that dozens of homegrown R&B girl groups weren't doing just as well or better?[/QUOTE]

Angel Of Mine was covered the following year by Monica. It was Nr.1 for four weeks in the US, apparently.

Servalan likes this.
  5. BBC2's TOTP 90s series comes to an end with The Story Of 1999 on 28 May. This is preceded by Britney at the BBC.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0017wyv

The Story of 1999

On the cusp of the new millennium, the BBC’s long-running music show continued to offer all the best pop music every week on the nation’s TV screens. In this final look back at the 1990s, there's everything from observing the rules of certain dance routines to how the weather changed everything for Travis.

Plus, US divas grace the studio in the shape of Whitney, Britney and Beyonce, the influence of Ibiza and the rise of UK garage, how a particular phrase entered the UK’s vocabulary, and Top of the Pops goes on tour before a final move from Elstree back to the iconic west London BBC TV Centre.

Contributors include Fran Healy of Travis, Claire Richards and Lee Latchford-Evans of Steps, Gail Porter, Róisín Murphy, Neil Hannon of The Divine Comedy, Mark Hill and Pete Devereux of Artful Dodger, Ben Ofoedu of Phats & Small and Tony Wright of Terrorvision.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0017wyx

Biggest Hits 1999

Relive some of the biggest hits of 1999 with these Top of the Pops classic performances. As a new millennium approached, the Vengaboys were back in town, as were legendary singers Blondie and Whitney Houston with their stunning new styles. It’s the year pop stars were born as Britney Spears, Jennifer Lopez and Christina Aguilera all performed for the first time on Top of the Pops.

Boy band Westlife were bossing the charts, and Ricky Martin’s smooth hips had us living the crazy life. Plus, with a little bit of Lou Bega and many more, 1999’s biggest hits will have you partying your way to the end of the century.

6. Weird for them to mention going back to TV Centre, when that didn't happen in 2001. As if they've no intention on continuing with the docs...

Servalan likes this.
  7. Maybe they couldn't face the embarrassment of trying to pass off Andi Peter's makeover as relevant or successful …?!?

8. I think Andi is better off flogging tat on QVC and doing competition promos for ITV. Should've stuck to the broom cupboard...

blod, Servalan, CDMCLP and 2 others like this.
  9. Angel Of Mine was covered the following year by Monica. It was Nr.1 for four weeks in the US, apparently.[/QUOTE]
    Indeed, give me the Eternal original though by far anyday!

dangeleyes likes this.
  10. Indeed, give me the Eternal original though by far anyday![/QUOTE]

They're not really that different! I recall Monica's version changed some lyrics slightly.

Servalan likes this.
  11. They're not really that different! I recall Monica's version changed some lyrics slightly.[/QUOTE]
    In my view, I think the Eternal original, has way more heart to it and sounds more timeless too.

12. Oh God, I loved Evan Dando so much. I guess 8 months after this I saw the Lemonheads live at the Reading Festival. He was wearing a dress and stockings and suspenders drawn on his legs with sharpie. It was the coolest, and hottest, thing that the bi 18yr old me had ever seen.

13. 1992 was...nerrrrrghhh.

lob0to, Eric Generic and Rooneyboy like this.
  14. 1) I have never ever seen anyone perform their own hits mega mix
    2) and enjoy it!
    Fair play GloEst.

15. Glad the 1992 shows are bowing out. The later half was much stronger admittedly, but still overall not a patch on the magic of 1991 in my view.

simpsonaj, idratherjack and Rich T like this.
  16. Looking forward to the 1993 shows starting, this is when I really started to become aware of chart music

17. 1993 was a shift into good music.

dangeleyes and AcerBenII like this.
  18. Sting, Billy Joel, Duran, Meatloaf.... yes!

CDMCLP likes this.
  19. There may have been some good music in 1993 but I don't think we will be seeing much of it on Top Of The Pops.

Wishlight, lob0to and Eric Generic like this.
  20. Top Of The Pops 1998, one of the best story of shows for the 90s I think!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.