Top of the Pops BBC4 Thursday/Friday 7.30pm | Page 1037 | The Popjustice Forum

Top of the Pops BBC4 Thursday/Friday 7.30pm

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by idratherjack, Mar 13, 2017.

1. What else has there been besides Barry Manilow and Sister Sledge? We get Gloria Gaynor later in the year.

On a totally different note, Stick It Out must be the worst Comic Relief single. The whole thing is just one cringe after another, and when the highlight is Linda Robson and Pauline Quirk shrieking "stick it ahhhhhht" you know it's just a terrible song all round.

beautyneverlies and Hairycub1969 like this.
  2. Hue & Cry, Heaven 17, Village People, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, the Gloria Estefan, Jungle Book and Boney M megamixes in '92 too

Rooneyboy, Booers and Hairycub1969 like this.
  3. Undercover and KWS dragging the late 70s into the early 90s played a big part.

4. There seemed to be a lot of "decade" remixes in the 2nd half of the 80s....from Tavares/Real Thing, through 1987 (Hot Chocolate, Gary Numan) and various updates, then 1988 had a few as well (Phil Collins, Bill Withers, Four Tops, Diana Ross etc). I guess once they caught on and labels realised they could get a hit again, the floodgates opened.

5. Absolutely love this bop

So good it could be a Paula Abdul song!

phoenix123, Mike, Adora Day and 3 others like this.
  6. Great discovery this for me!

The_Rani and idratherjack like this.
  7. Doobie Brothers x 2 also, just off the top of my head...

This monstrosity came dangerously close to the Australian No. 1 spot over summer '92/'93.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2022
  8. The Sister Sledge remixes, are bar far the best of all the various remixes of old favourites during 1992 and 1993 for me.

9. I remember snapping up various mega mixes like Boney M, Gloria Estefan but wasn’t as fussed by the remixes of 80s songs (beyond Heaven 17). I think Freddie Mercury’s was the most successful in UK/Europe but it was posthumous and had it even been released originally?

Eric Generic likes this.
  10. Living On My Own via it's remix, is epic!

11. Yes, Living On My Own was originally released in 1985. There were 4 singles from Mr Bad Guy, but only one made the Top 40.

Hairycub1969 and phoenix123 like this.
  12. Booers, Eric Generic and m_dimitrov like this.
  13. I only recently caught up, and those two performances by The Beloved? itouchmyself.mp3

beautyneverlies and blod like this.
  14. Thanks to moving flats/no internet/holiday, I've just caught up as well.

I find it really weird how the change of a year improved pop music. 1992 was so forgettable, but now I'm watching songs and performances that I remember.

Having said that, I have a memory of an 'exclusive' by Cilla Black at some point in 1993...

15. I think they saw the success of Lulu and Dusty's comebacks and thought 'hmmm'

Servalan and WhatKindOfKylie? like this.
  16. And the "Hmmm", is as far as it should have got I think judging by that particular song.

letuinmybackdoor and Q4Music like this.
  17. Yes, her 30th year in the business was marked by a star-studded (it says here) comp of tracks, including a new duet with Dusty Springfield.

It spent 1 week at #75

18. Aside from Duran Duran, this is a truly awful first half of TOTP.

19. Respect to the Bluebells for making effort and giving us such a variety of performances for Young At Heart's many weeks at no.1, especially given that they only got back together because the re-release was unexpectedly massive. Stoked to see Janet performing, the janet era is my second favourite JJ era after Rhythm Nation

Servalan, blod, lob0to and 1 other person like this.
  20. The booming CD market. All around Europe. By 1992 all of Europe was buying CDs like never before and people of a certain age, now with disposable income to boot, were looking to upgrade their vinyl collections to CDs. People would actually enter Virgin Megastore looking for 5-6 CDs to buy every week to play on their new CD players. They'd buy new stuff but familiar stuff was always an easier sell. So one step labels took to take advantage of this new market was Best Of CDs of popular 70s / 80s acts who had a few smashes and maybe one big album.

Those new collections always had a first (or third, depending on success of the previous singles) single that was an updated remix of their biggest song to launch them.

Yeah these all had 1992 - 1993 Best Of campaigns to launch.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.