Top of the Pops BBC4 Thursday/Friday 7.30pm | Page 399 | The Popjustice Forum

Top of the Pops BBC4 Thursday/Friday 7.30pm

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by idratherjack, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Je Ne.. was the one that changed my mind about Kylie. It was a good choice for single.

2. The vocals are more relaxed and calmer - in hindsight you could tell that she was discovering her singing voice on that track - imho her voice really took off on "Better the devil you know" - she sounds much more confident by 1990!

3. Agreed it certainly is more sophisticated than the rest of her initial run. I recall an old interview where Kylie states that it was actually Tears On My Pillow that she really could be heard as a vocalist as it's the first SAW production with her where they didn't double track her vocals.

4. What perfect taste in Kylie singles you have there.

Eric Generic likes this.
  5. What was Sybil Roscoe on? Like I know it must have been exciting presenting TOTP in 88 but she actually looks like she'll combust with hysteria?

6. Indeed. Just too much shall we say.

7. I can't get my head around Sybil Roscoe presenting TOTP...I grew up with her doing the traffic reports on Radio London in the early 80s!

This trend they had in the late 80s and early 90s to branch out from established "music people" as hosts is bizarre.

8. Most of the "Year Zero" revamp from 1991, didn't last long too I believe.

9. What next......doing away with miming?

10. I actually liked when that happened and proved some of my faves could sing (Kylie) whereas others faltered (mainly the faceless dance groups).

Hairycub1969 and Eric Generic like this.
  11. Hairycub1969 and Eric Generic like this.
  12. For any other music show, I've no problem with performing live and, as you say, showing who can and who can't really sing....but when it's a show reflecting the Top 40, and it's meant to be featuring the singles you go out and buy, I always felt it should be as close to identical when on TOTP. Otherwise it's misleading...good and bad...you might decide you don't like something because the live performance is poor, yet the actual record will be to your tastes.

CDMCLP, Servalan, lob0to and 2 others like this.
  13. Yes, that bit apart from Robbie indeed!

Hairycub1969 and Eric Generic like this.
  14. It's not totally accurate though because the show still pulled in big ratings throughout the early 90s, and Ric Blaxill's revamp made it feel really credible for a while, it even won awards. It was still managing 7 million viewers before they moved it to Fridays..

But that was a bad mistake as it then slipped to about 4.5 million, though Chris Cowey at least kept it stable until about 2001.

Once they got rid of the no miming rule, it was good when people could sing live would, and those who couldn't, didn't.

CDMCLP, Servalan and Hairycub1969 like this.
  15. Being a kid of the late 90s and early 00s, one thing I absolutely despise of Top Of The Pops in comparison to to these late 80s repeats, is that my era studio, looked so dull and tame in comparison.

16. The TOTP studio peaked around 1983/84. Just like pop music in general!

17. 1985 was a really good year as well!

Eric Generic and lob0to like this.
  18. 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988 and 1989 are unbeatable.

19. I agree! Amazing times for music and the Pops in general.

Hairycub1969 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.