Top of the Pops BBC4 Thursday/Friday 7.30pm | Page 410 | The Popjustice Forum

Top of the Pops BBC4 Thursday/Friday 7.30pm

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by idratherjack, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Had they followed up 'Heart' with it, it would have been Number one for sure!

2. It's almost Phil Oakeyesque

I wish more songs had these type of lyrics.

I want to hear about Neil arguing about who's turn it is to fill the teasmade up and put the bins out

3. Just hope Neil and chum weren't planning on going to the Lebanon for their trip, because where there used to be some shops is where the sniper sometimes hides.

4. Some epic dancing on 'Stakker Humanoid'. It's an interesting song (I've got it on a Deep Heat compilation) but I'm not really sure it was TOTP material exactly. Perhaps Peter Powell left at just the right time.

idratherjack and Hairycub1969 like this.
  5. I wonder who they are and why they're featured together in two totally separate videos - and both the same way round. One tends to think of young people from back then as having a typical "80s look", but those two older ladies certainly did too!

Deborah X and Hairycub1969 like this.
  6. For the perfect breakfast (especially eggs!) - it's all there in the first verse of Karyn White's "Superwoman"!

7. I think the last two shows, could be among the strongest for me personally. Liked far more than I disliked!

idratherjack likes this.
  8. from Wikipedia pages on Bruno Brookes and Stakker Humanoid
    "Brookes was also an early supporter of the fledgling acid house scene by championing Stakker Humanoid, a November 1988 hit for Humanoid (AKA Brian Dougans). In a 2013 interview with The Guardian, Brookes explained that he was given a white label of the record and immediately fell under its spell. "It just got to me. I remember listening to it and thinking it was one step ahead of everything techno that was coming out. It wasn't copying anything else; it was just fabulous." As a result, he played the record twice in one show – a very unusual step for a prime-time radio DJ."

The track was a hit not just at influential clubs like Shoom in London, but was championed by mainstream stalwarts like Radio DJ Bruno Brookes and Kylie and Jason producer Pete Waterman. It went on to reach number 17 in the UK charts in November 1988, leading to Dougans' appearance on Top of the Pops on 1 December 1988. In 2011, Noel Gallagher said of the track:

“ "What a fucking tune Stakker Humanoid is! I didn't realise it was them (Future Sound of London) until we were about halfway through recording. Someone mentioned that track halfway through recording [his collaborative album with Amorphous Androgynous] and I was like, 'You're fucking joking … shut up … get the fuck out of here!' I had to stop and give them a hug. I used to love that tune!" ”

9. Love Stakker Humanoid! Brian Dougans is an absolute genius and went on to make what I think is the greatest dance track ever made - Papua New Guinea - now there's a track I can just listen to over and over, It's just so unique as is pretty much everything FSOL have released

10. Stakker Humanoid was very ahead of its time, I would have said it was a rave record from 1991, not 1988.

I loved the girl onstage dancing to it, so fierce!

11. Rick Astley definitely looks hotter now than he did in 87.

12. Rick didnt look his usual chipper self, possible thoughts going through his mind;
    1. Last year I had Never Gonna Give You Up and Together Forever, why have SAW given me this second rate plodder with a very vague attempt at trendy techno chords. Who is getting their decent material I ask? (Who said Sigue Sigue Sputnik..)
    2. Why cant I release another one of my own songs, surely Giving Up On Love is better than this, RCA America have the right idea
    3. What is my guitarist doing, there isnt any guitar on this track
    4. This jacket is awful

Left To My Own Devices is a squillion times better than First Time, the British public were very sloppy emotionally in late 1988!! i blame it on Kylie and Jason.

13. Revenge for making them do a blatant Whitney rip-off for the 2nd album's big lead single, Rick.

Hairycub1969 likes this.
  14. Who's dancing with who?

Eric Generic likes this.
  15. I think I'd be a bit downcast if I had to wear Rick's blazer, it was the same colour as the girls knickers for p.e at school.

Not that I'd know of course

Maybe him not looking chipper was a cry for help........

I'll get my coat....

16. Ha, memories.

Hairycub1969 likes this.
  17. Yes, and oh yes!!

18. I think by album 2 and all the drama that came with it reflected in Rick’s outward appearance. (The fire destroying album masters then the reinstatement of SAW due to this....). He clearly wasn’t happy to be seen as a pop puppet and rightly so due to his writing and production input. I personally love Take Me To Your Heart and in fact feel Hold Me In Your Arms is a fantastic album.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  19. I will stick with Nathan Moore and Michael Davidson for my SAW hotties!

We all know Michael turned into a CGI character, but Nathan has matured very well

[​IMG]

WhereIsTheFeeling likes this.
  20. Hold Me In Your Arms (title track), is a beautiful ballad too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.