Top of the Pops BBC4 Thursday/Friday 7.30pm | Page 412 | The Popjustice Forum

Top of the Pops BBC4 Thursday/Friday 7.30pm

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by idratherjack, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Yes – but I'd also say that SAW must have been listening to Inner City's 'Big Fun' a lot when they wrote it as there's a synth line in 'Take Me To Your Heart' that's awfully similar …

lob0to, Hairycub1969 and Eric Generic like this.
  2. BIB – I agree but I think that problem is unfortunately symptomatic of how much material they were generating. For me, SAW wrote and/or produced some great songs, but I do think quality control became a real problem for them after 1987. They liked to compare themselves to Motown but that isn't really accurate – Motown didn't rely on three people to write any songs that weren't cover versions: they created an army of songwriting talent, some of whom performed (Stevie Wonder, Smokey Robinson, R Dean Taylor) but many more of whom who didn't. Nobody can generate the volume of material SAW did and maintain the same standards – it's just not possible and I'd argue that was part of their undoing.

3. Innercity's "Paradise" album is a stunning debut! I used to listen to it a lot in the summer of 1989 with Soul II Soul's "Club Classics Vol I"

4. I agree – and I'd say that clip of 'Good Life' was the best bit of the second of last Friday's second edition.

Eric Generic and Hairycub1969 like this.
  5. Big Fun
    Good Life
    Ain't nobody better
    Do you love what you feel

Whatcha do with my lovin'

What a way to start your pop career - five great singles!

6. They became Trapped by their own success?

Servalan, lob0to and Hairycub1969 like this.
  7. Well, if you will steal the bassline from from a big 1985 club/pop hit for the basis of your biggest seller of 1987 … ;-)

8. Also see Blue Monday > Whatever I Do (Wherever I Go)...

9. I'd never made that connection before! They could be totally and utterly shameless … but kind of get away with it – for a while, at least.

Hairycub1969 and Eric Generic like this.
  10. New Order's "Blue Monday" is like Chic "Good Times":
    The former has a bassline that have been "borrowed" so many times, whereas "Good Times" has a guitar riff that has been "borrowed" so many times:

Bassline:
    Divine - Love Reaction
    Hazell Dean - Searchin', Whatever I do, Wherever I go
    etc

"Good Times" - has been an inspiration on:
    Another one bites the dust
    Rapture
    Rip it up
    Rapper's delight
    Need you tonight
    etc

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  11. Surprised @Hairycub1969 hasn't picked up the PSB/Electronic references!

Blaahh, Servalan and Hairycub1969 like this.
  12. BIB – I think you mean 'Love Reaction'?

Ironically, 'Blue Monday' is itself inspired by a number of other tracks – Donna Summer's 'Our Love' (from the Bad Girls album), Sylvester's 'You Make Me Feel Mighty Real' and 'Dirty Talk'by Klein & MBO.

lob0to and Hairycub1969 like this.
  13. @Servalan Thank you - I've been caught "walking in the rain to get wet on purpose" again and nearly got away with it!

lob0to, Eric Generic and Servalan like this.
  14. LOL – I love the idea of Diana Ross covering 'Love Reaction' or Divine covering 'Chain Reaction', though …

lob0to, Eric Generic and Hairycub1969 like this.
  15. I just tried Divinegrowling "You got a pedestal and put me on it"...

16. 'Tonight, Matthew, I'm gonna be …'

Hairycub1969 likes this.
  17. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    lob0to, Servalan and Hairycub1969 like this.
  18. Oh dear...I started something....

Eric Generic and Servalan like this.
  19. That's a rapid transformation … Sashay, you stay!

lob0to and Hairycub1969 like this.
  20. Cracking (International) episode last night. I'd never seen this one before. I was probably at the Office Christmas party that Thursday evening in 1988.
    Petula Clark looked great doing "Downtown 88"
    New Order's "Fine Time" is a top tune - obviously Barney had been at the Smarti"E"s before that performance! Flying high!
    Innercity's Paris Grey looking good on the show "Good life" is such a classic bop!
    Also enjoyed U2, Erasure and Bon Jovi
    Even liked all the breakers - Four Tops, Kim Wilde and the excellent "9am (Comfort zone)" from London Beat
    A-ha's "Hello Sailor" video to "You are the one" looked strange seeing the Manhattan Skyline with the Twin Towers...
    A SAW free episode..but we get Cliff instead - hard to believe it was the best selling of the year! and it took just 5 weeks to sell over 700k - however, I think if "Especially for you" had been released a couple of weeks earlier - it would have probably sold more in 1988 rather than having it's sales split over two years - I think it sold 900k overall in 1988/1989

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    Querelle Mix and Eric Generic like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.