Top of the Pops BBC4

I was 12 when that Roy Chubby Brown/Smokie song came out and I probably could recite the really offensive, utterly homophobic and transphobic version on the b-side ("Sally called the other day, I've got some news, yer mate Bert's ghey...") word perfect because the boys in my class played it relentlessly and thought was where humour had absolutely peaked. Boak.

I've never quite understood what happened with that song? Was it some sort of pub cultural/holiday thing that kicked off and the original artist saw an opportunity to legit it? Am I remembering right that there was a few versions going around as well?

she/her
I've never quite understood what happened with that song? Was it some sort of pub cultural/holiday thing that kicked off and the original artist saw an opportunity to legit it? Am I remembering right that there was a few versions going around as well?

I believe it's a recreation of a German cover version of the song, which originated when some DJ started shouting the "who the f*** is Alice" line over the song while playing it. But I don't know why, or why it was considered funny...? Also felt like a cash grab by Smokie. That man was fairly controversial even then, I don't know why anyone would choose to work with him.

My other observation last night was the sweat on Peter cunnah's forehead! That's what happens when you decide to wear a giant roll neck chunky sweater with a jacket over the top under hot studio lights and whilst dancing. Poor choice.

I believe it's a recreation of a German cover version of the song, which originated when some DJ started shouting the "who the f*** is Alice" line over the song while playing it. But I don't know why, or why it was considered funny...? Also felt like a cash grab by Smokie. That man was fairly controversial even then, I don't know why anyone would choose to work with him.
The German cover made a brief top 40 appearance first. I remember being quite amused by it at the time (I was 15) but then the Roy Chubby Brown version happened and that was the end of that.

I caught a bit of this last night and I'm traumatised by the sight of Mick Hucknall in PVC trousers. Even in the 90s no-one was asking for that.

Highlight of the night for me? Why, Mariah, naturally:
roller-coster-mariah-carey.gif

Truly in the middle of her imperial phase here, with Fantasy being the 8th of 12 back to back UK top 10s for her between 1992-1997. And certainly one of her all time best too.

Anyway looks like they are trying to find a new “home” for it soon. In the meantime I found a forum discussing lots of things TOTP and there is an interesting list of artists who had the most top 40 hits without ever appearing in the TOTP studio:

1. Bruce Springsteen (19 Top 40 hits)
2. Barbra Streisand (16)
3= The Chemical Brothers (15)
3= Bob Dylan (15)
3= Marvin Gaye (15)
3= Guns N' Roses (15)
7= Bobby Brown (14) (although he did appear with the reformed New Edition in 1996)
7= The Clash (14)
7= Billy Joel (14) (not counting the pre-record of "Leningrad" that was never shown)
7= The Prodigy (14)
11. Pearl Jam (13)
12= Fatboy Slim (12) (obviously Norman Cook appeared in other bands)
12= Will Smith (12)
14= James Brown (11)
14= Earth, Wind & Fire (10) (apart from a brief interview with two members in 1980)
14= The Isley Brothers (10)
14= Paul Simon (10) (not including Simon & Garfunkel though not sure if they definitely appeared anyway?)
14= Frank Sinatra (10)

Source: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/pop...-without-a-totp-studio-appearance-t15253.html

The Clash were at least British so I might have thought they would appear. Were they known to be anti TOTP? I guess they had success in a very short space of time and only a couple of their hits were particularly big enough (though they were reissued in 91) maybe it’s just one of those things….

Some surprising absences. Were Michael Jackson and Prince really in the TOTP studio at some point?

The Clash were at least British so I might have thought they would appear. Were they known to be anti TOTP? I guess they had success in a very short space of time and only a couple of their hits were particularly big enough (though they were reissued in 91) maybe it’s just one of those things….
Yes, The Clash (or at least Joe Strummer) made a big thing about not going on TOTP because it would be selling out, or something punk like that.

Anyway looks like they are trying to find a new “home” for it soon. In the meantime I found a forum discussing lots of things TOTP and there is an interesting list of artists who had the most top 40 hits without ever appearing in the TOTP studio:

1. Bruce Springsteen (19 Top 40 hits)
2. Barbra Streisand (16)
3= The Chemical Brothers (15)
3= Bob Dylan (15)
3= Marvin Gaye (15)
3= Guns N' Roses (15)
7= Bobby Brown (14) (although he did appear with the reformed New Edition in 1996)
7= The Clash (14)
7= Billy Joel (14) (not counting the pre-record of "Leningrad" that was never shown)
7= The Prodigy (14)
11. Pearl Jam (13)
12= Fatboy Slim (12) (obviously Norman Cook appeared in other bands)
12= Will Smith (12)
14= James Brown (11)
14= Earth, Wind & Fire (10) (apart from a brief interview with two members in 1980)
14= The Isley Brothers (10)
14= Paul Simon (10) (not including Simon & Garfunkel though not sure if they definitely appeared anyway?)
14= Frank Sinatra (10)

Source: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/pop...-without-a-totp-studio-appearance-t15253.html

Some surprising absences. Were Michael Jackson and Prince really in the TOTP studio at some point?

Prince was (likely as he had chains covering his face but pretty certain it was him) with the NPG.

Could the Jackson 5 have appeared, or The Jacksons?