Top of the Pops BBC4

I really do think that period between 1993-1996 where Madonna showcased a more softer side (as soft as Madonna would never allow anyway!) and moved into a more adult contemporary sound with R&B, was such an great and often overlooked time of her long career. Ray Of Light may have been the big comeback, but give me those years anyday over it if really had to chose.

I really do think that period between 1993-1996 where Madonna showcased a more softer side (as soft as Madonna would never allow anyway!) and moved into a more adult contemporary sound with R&B, was such an great and often overlooked time of her long career. Ray Of Light may have been the big comeback, but give me those years anyday over it if really had to chose.
Totally with you – Bedtime Stories is my favourite Madge album and 'You'll See' is brilliant.

Did Madonna feel threatened by those other female artists namechecked earlier? My reading on her musical moves would be more that she went to David Foster to produce that single not because she needed to, but because she wanted to. If anything, I'd say it was of a 'Oh – so you don't think I could do a track like that? Well, get this!' … and the Evita move was even more 'And now I'm gonna do this!' And, as with many of the tracks on Bedtime Stories, there's a personal feel to 'You'll See' that gives it an edge.

There's no way Madonna would have had anything like the microscopic scrutiny she was forced to endure (and still is) if she was a man … you have to love her fighting spirit.

There's an episode of Top Of The Pops from 11th April 1974 being shown on BBC Four on Friday 12th April at 8.30pm.

It's the first time this episode has been repeated since it was first shown on Thursday 11th April 1974 (at 7.25pm on BBC One) and features the first ever TOTP appearance by Abba performing Waterloo (five days after their Eurovision win)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001y56y

Last edited:
There's an episode of Top Of The Pops from 11th April 1974 being shown on BBC Four on Friday 12th April at 8.30pm.

It's the first time this episode has been repeated since it was first shown on Thursday 11th April 1974 (at 7.25pm on BBC One) and features the first ever TOTP appearance by Abba performing Waterloo (five days after their Eurovision win)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001y56y
Interesting. Wonder if we'll get the other surviving, non-problematic episodes shown over the next couple of years. Not that there's many of those!

2019125052_moophoneavi.thumb.gif.1aa749bf7a28cfa0e55455003348abe1.gif

Goldeneye, what a performance Tina did there! Possibly my favourite ever performance on Top Of The Pops as it happens, so camp and larger than life like only true icons like Tina could do. So glad that it managed to at least sneak inside the top 10 for one week, albeit should have been higher and had longer longevity. Same with her 3rd and final solo UK top 10 hit of the 1990s 4 years later with When The Heartache Is Over.

I don't know Kajagoogoo's stuff well enough to compare but did they really have nothing better to follow up Too shy with than Ooh to be ah?
Really good question… I love White Feathers but I’m sure it’s more to do with Colin Thurston’s production, Nick Beggs’ fluid playing and the 1983 ambience, than the actual songs! Hang On Now (3rd single) is a much better song though than the frankly baffling choice of Ooh to be Aah.

So glad that it managed to at least sneak inside the top 10 for one week, albeit should have been higher and had longer longevity.

I think there was a bit of snobbishness from UK media over Bond themes that only stopped with the Craig era. The Turner/Crow/Garbage singles all should've peaked higher but they all had a bit of longevity in the mids and were huge on MTV. Releasing standalones in November in the late-90's singles market is also a challenge for any artist, and I think pre-release radio and retail gatekeepers had a bit of a hand in overlooking them. Certainly the themes released in the digital era have all done well and I think that says something.

It's also a bit of a myth that all the previous Bond themes were huge chart hits, most of them weren't - possibly because they are so ingrained into our collective consciousness from seeing the classic Bond movies growing up.

Really good question… I love White Feathers but I’m sure it’s more to do with Colin Thurston’s production, Nick Beggs’ fluid playing and the 1983 ambience, than the actual songs! Hang On Now (3rd single) is a much better song though than the frankly baffling choice of Ooh to be Aah.
I like "Ooh to be Ah" and thought it was a great follow up to "Too shy" - it's fun - the serious stuff comes later! As the song advises - it's a great tune to have in the background as you're getting ready to go out on the town for the night!

Last edited:
I think there was a bit of snobbishness from UK media over Bond themes that only stopped with the Craig era. The Turner/Crow/Garbage singles all should've peaked higher but they all had a bit of longevity in the mids and were huge on MTV. Releasing standalones in November in the late-90's singles market is also a challenge for any artist, and I think pre-release radio and retail gatekeepers had a bit of a hand in overlooking them. Certainly the themes released in the digital era have all done well and I think that says something.

It's also a bit of a myth that all the previous Bond themes were huge chart hits, most of them weren't - possibly because they are so ingrained into our collective consciousness from seeing the classic Bond movies growing up.
Goldeneye, really does feel much bigger than it actually was in that respect for those reasons I agree.